Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netanyahu tells Israel ‘We are at war’ after Hamas launches an unprecedented attack, killing at leas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 7, 2023.

1. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I just wish this war would make a real difference. But it won't. They might eradicate Hamas in the short term but something else will pop up and it will attack Israel - the next generation of terrorists is being radicalized in Gaza as we speak. All this death is completely in vain. Just terribly sad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    They wont eradicate Hamas either by dropping bombs on civilians, not unless they plan on reoccupying Gaza and doing some kind of mass displacement (i.e. ethnic cleansing). I don't think Israel really has an exit strategy or plan at all, they are basically just bloodletting and doing revenge killings. Probably at some point the international pressure results in a ceasefire as the sympathy tide turns against them (if it hasn't already). Everyone must remember Israel's government consists of right-wing zealots, thugs, criminals and fascists ... people who don't do much strategic thinking beyond "kill the bastards" - people who were already outsmarted by Hamas, who aren't exactly criminal masterminds themselves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  3. cron78

cron78 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2022
    I think you might be getting to the point I was hinting at. Primarily left wing liberal folks thought that the phrase was nothing but racist and hated it. Now, primarily left wing liberal folks appear to think it has merit when a persecuted group (albeit one fully capable of defending itself, and more) sets out to fight for it’s right to exist and their antagonists are at a disadvantage. Left leaners didn’t like it when more than their team wanted to matter, and now left leaners think that their team matters, too. Context be damned, in all situations all lives should matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I think context matters for almost all forms of communication. If another team picks off Mertz, scores and does the Gator Chomp, I think that context might matter with something I normally think is a good thing. I do think people have agendas, so are always looking for ways to use language to needle other people, signal to others or are searching for hidden meanings and antagonisms that aren't necessarily there. Few are content just to take things a face value anymore, because we already think we know other people's motivations even when they aren't clear. Basically what I'm saying is people create their own meaning, that's how language and signs work, especially in a time where there is hardly any universal meaning or interpretation of reality holding everything together.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022

7. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    While accurate as written it would even more accurate if the third sentences was rewritten to read as follows:
    It creates more terrorists martyrs they can use for their jihad propaganda.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    KILL THEM ALL

Welcome to the new motto of the “international rules-based order.”

9. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Shitty and true at the same time.

Go figure

10. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015

Since this is about me let me say Palestine lives matter. All lives matter.

11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Good. That's all you had to say the first time.

12. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    So, based on your statement, it appears you are suggesting that Hamas does not use public infrastructure, and as a byproduct their citizens, as an attempt to shield against Israeli military operations. Is that so?

13. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    It has been reported that Israel has been dropping leaflets from aircraft, prior to those strikes, so that civilians can vacate those areas. But, I’m no fool. Palestinians and Israelis have a long standing hatred for one another. So, while I think Israel is taking some measures to appear to be mitigating civilian deaths, I think the truth is neither side really gives a crap.
    Having said that, unfortunately I don’t believe Hamas has given any evidence that it is willing to be a true partner in any peace negotiations. It seems it’s all or nothing for them. That’s a completely unrealistic position for peaceful progress. Also, by initiating the current war through the massacre of innocent civilians in Israel on Oct.7, they lost all credibility for any blowback against the deaths of their own citizens. Fair, or not, that is the reality.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're misunderstanding the point.

15. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    Thanks.

I watch the news. It kills me when I see dead children and a parent wailing over their dead body. Kills me inside. I’ve witnessed it in person so it’s personal.

My 1st fire deaths as an investigator were a three year old and 18 month old brother and sister. To this day I remember their mom outside wailing away as I had to place their bodies in a black zipper bag. I still have issues with it today.

The other one I can’t get out of my mind was a young boy (Ryan Wojic) who got hit by a baseball while at bat. I was a field over when someone came and got me because they knew I was on the FD. He passed out and others started CPR which wasn’t working. A buddy of mine who worked for an ambulance service went with me to help. I remember Ryan’s mom as she was standing over us saying over and over, Wake up Ryan, it’s going to be ok baby, etc., etc. He never woke up or started breathing on his own. I found out he passed the morning of the day I went back to work. At work is where I broke down. Thank God my friends were there to help me out.

I pray every night for the war to stop in Gaza and Ukraine. For people to just stop hurting each other. I just don’t understand how people can be so mean to each other.

When I say all lives matter it means exactly what it says. Yes I know it sometimes triggers people. Maybe I need to consider that.

My past with kids is why I think people who rape children should be hung. And yes I volunteer to pull the lever.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    My exact thoughts.

17. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Then elaborate on your position. Because that’s the way your statement reads.

18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Hamas is undoubtedly using infrastructure and guerilla tactics. That doesn't give Israel carte blanche to bomb hospitals, schools, universities, refugee camps, ambulances, etc. and say when it kills innocents, "Well, it could have been Hamas!"

19. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    I don’t think as a general tactic they are. Could they be? Sure. But, to just suggest, across the board, that any statements by Israel on the subject is a propaganda technique is exceedingly flawed imo.

20. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Also, as I noted in another post above, it has been widely reported that Israel has been dropping leaflets prior to airstrikes on public infrastructure.

• Agree Agree x 1