Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Netanyahu tells Israel ‘We are at war’ after Hamas launches an unprecedented attack, killing at leas

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorrick22, Oct 7, 2023.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Both sides chose collective punishment as consequences, which is criminal and terroristic. There will be consequences for that too. Bad ones that make the world more dangerous and less peaceful.

2. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    Everyone knows that Israel will be forced to enter those tunnels. Israel will not be able to bomb their way out of this

3. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

Read the translation of this interview. Israel has no choice but to rid Gaza of Hamas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    In the summer of 1945, estimates of US dead if the US invaded Japan were 1 million. And Japan was not going to surrender even though they had been beaten back. Instead, the US dropped the atomic bombs on civilians. Should the US have invaded Japan and suffered 1 million dead?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I disagree that those were the only options or that Japan would not surrender without occupation. Anyways I’m on record as saying dropping the bomb was a crime and unnecessary and was more about demonstrating American power for the post-war order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Sincere question and not making an argument with it. I am drafting this while listening to a Pod Save The World episode. They touched on public opinion a little, and it’s something I’d like to explore further.

Do we have an accurate sense of what percentage of civilian Palestinians/Gazans support Hamas and what Hamas has done? Would those in Gaza who dislike Hamas be afraid to speak out? Is there any polling that we would consider remotely reliable? Are there any journalists there you guys follow that have some insight on the sentiment based on off the record discussions?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Is it possible the Israeli response was too hasty? Patience might have been more effective. Negotiate for your hostages, shore up your defense and spend the next year planning to strategically hit Hamas. Would have built up more international support… possibly. Seems like they are swinging wildly just to do something without clear objectives. Hard to tell but I can’t see this being too successful unless there is more to the plan that emerges.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I remember seeing something immediately after the attacks that support for Likud and Hamas was pretty low. I wish I could recall the source, and I don’t know how accurate it was either. Given that there haven’t been popular elections in almost 2 decades I’m not sure you could declare Hamas popular now, but opinion isn’t static. The war could increase their support if seen as successful or inspire other movements.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
  9. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    How many innocent lives are worth saving your general or leader as you use them for human shields as you coward behind them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    huh?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don’t know about that one, but this example has already been debunked

This is similar images that have been circulating on X, alleging to show corpses in Gazan medical centers using mobile devices through their shrouds.

There’s some media sources that have covered it but but this is all I could find right now

This is similar images that have been circulating on X, alleging to show corpses in Gazan medical centers using mobile devices through their shrouds.

14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Lots of demand for cease fires. It is a very effective strategy to hide behind human shields. And when there is a cease fire? When do you start shooting again? How do you dislodge them? It is just an argument that Israel will have to tolerate repeated and intensifying mass terror incidents.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Just saying it’s easy to point the finger at Israel and ask how many innocents will you kill to get to your target.. maybe we should be asking Hamas how many will they kill to hide/protect the target.
    Hamas could end all
    Of this tomorrow.. but they won’t.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I heard the same old same old on CNN. Abby Phillip kept asking about proportionality last night. Arguing with guests or reinforcing them with the lie that it is disproportional to kill one commander with a bombing that kills many civilians. Except that was a lie. There was a Hamas command and control base underneath where the bombing took place and dozens of terrorists in the tunnels that were hit. Same questions tonight for an IDF spokesman. With the obvious disdain in her facial expressions. And then when they have on Palestinian-Hamas sympathizers, they don’t ask about the tunnels and terror bases underneath the targeted area. Like, why are the tunnels and Terror bases not legit targets! Why are they there? How is Israel supposed to get at those bases without harming civilians? Wouldn’t you like to hear those responses? She also asked how many civilians were killed in the attacks today and yesterday and and she seemed incredulous that the Israeli spokesman didn’t know. He said they would have to assess that after the war. Which for obvious reasons they will. She plainly isn’t stupid. I have yet to see any good solution to ridding Gaza of Hamas. Hamas knows it can’t win this war. It counts on pleas for a ceasefire and a deal. As it has in its previous attacks. And that depends on the outcry against Israel when Israel attacks them through their human shields. The audacity of people. The outright bigotry of those who blame Israel for Hamas hiding from the consequences of their atrocities behind human shields. It must truly disgust people to see Jews not marching off to the slaughter as we have for millennia. To see what happened on October 7, to see the butchers hiding behind civilians and to scream, “war crimes”, “disproportionately,” and to not blame Hamas and instead to require Israel to simply stop firing at Hamas bespeaks the underlying anti-semitism. Frankly, it is sickening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I can see from your perspective why this is an emotional topic for you, but the reality is people don’t like to see “innocent” people being slaughtered, even if the cause is righteous. You are correct that those reporting should dig more into the specifics of which you are describing, but that’s not how the media works, unfortunately.

I don’t think it is all because of anti semitism. It is mostly just ignorance.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I wouldn’t even say it’s ignorance. It’s a totally fair question. If the Israeli’s haven’t a clue how many civilians they just killed, how can you trust they got the correct target? We’re supposed to believe they did a pinpoint strike against some HVT hidden in a particular location underground, but have no estimate for civilians above ground? That doesn’t exactly pass the smell test. Of course they know.

Has absolutely nothing to do with anti-semitism. American military brass should get asked the same questions when we do similar.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  19. gators81

gators81 Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    atlanta
    “Disproportionately” is really only because Israel has the iron dome, it’s not for lack of effort by Hamas. Hamas has launched enough missiles at Israel to have done the same damage, the difference is Israel has better technology and the desire to protect its citizens. That should be commended, not held against them like it has been.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I think it does. They had intel on a hidden base of operations/command center. Those don’t move around a lot. How many civilians Hamas packed on top of it is a fluid number. It could have been 40 it could have been 400. Hamas uses civilians as human shields .. the more they can put in harms way the better for them. I’m not sure how Israel is supposed to have a good idea of how many were there.

• Winner Winner x 2