Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NCAA pounds Bohannon, slaps bama, too

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by TheBoss, Feb 1, 2024.

1. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    All others cheat is a standard excuse used by cheaters. Some level of cheating is present in one form or another in many sports programs, but scUM has a history of being especially dirty, hence, their series of NCAA penalties. It was humiliating for a colleague of mine- he and his wife both were moderately affluent professionals- when their son was among the many scUM athletes discovered taking PELL grants- for which they were ineligble- generated through scUM administrators. Then there were cash gifts from rich musician/boosters, plus the traditional graft from "Golden Canes." Charley Pell was hired to cheat and did exactly that. UF deserved harsh penalties and I'm one who argues it wasn't worth it. Spurrier was just the opposite of Pell, demanded UF stay clean and won more games and produced better teams than Pell and most of the cheaters. scUM certainly won championshis, but today, the Big East would be referred to as a mid-major and proper low value would be put on wins from primarily weak schedules- that included UF in off years.

NIL may be a middle ground that legitimizes getting cash into the hands of athletes who generate millions for others, I don't mind that it loosens restraints on cheaters in exchange for somewhat better treatment for athletes. Lately, claiming others do the same crimes you were caught doing has been called What About-ism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bryan85

Bryan85 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 27, 2007