Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NCAA Host Sites and Selection Show

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, May 26, 2024.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    yep it all adds up to a rpi,,which was 41...

Totally disagree they should schedule more dificult. Again even up conferences if that uneven.. Asking minimal budget teams to schedule harder is silly.. Whos paying for travel or for quality teams to come to them??

And what happens when/if they schedule a couple series vs 'big names' & big names have bad year?? Even what they can control is still a craps shoot

I have a feling they will expand soon, which Im also not a fan of,,but I guess if its 90% tourney play where anyone can get hot and win it, why not.. Id go the other way and reduce teams, but expand how you advance.. best of series.

For therecord..Id prefer all schedules equal.. but unless even up confrences(not happening) or do away with them all(possibly).. It is what it is.. I'll never penalize for things that dont have much control over.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  2. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    All of your responses in this thread-within-a-thread make sense, especially if one perceives the reason for at-large bids is to include the best teams that don't win a conference's automatic bid. There certainly is a reasonable argument to include teams that had good W-L, but lost in a conference tournamant, but those teams that miss out do it because they and their conference colleagues made that choice.

Among Gator fans who feel entitled to great seasons every year, Gator players and coaches deserve derision for merely having a season fans of programs of the ilk of CoC dream about. If the NCAA playoffs are, in fact, meant to include the best teams, the Gator program and the 2024 team earned a bid, CoC did not. CoC might have been good enough to catch fire and reach- even win- the CWS, but the fire should have started in their conference tournament. Next season, the new CoC coach will know something the current guy and his sypathizers apparently don't. There are two routes to a bid: 1. Win the conference tournament. 2. Clearly demonstrate the capacity to beat other teams that will be in the tournament. Gators have done that, CoC hasn't. They chose to limit their chances to option 1.

3. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    I dont think anyone is questioning UF over CoC. Im not, just the ones that scheduled similar.

And yes most mids have to win conf. even if 56-0. That is the main issue. And all the simple fixes on that dont make near the same profit. So money wins as uusual.. Why Ive already crowned my 2024 champ.

They will take easy way out and just expand, and water down field even more.

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why doesn't CoC play Coastal Carolina?

5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They're almost 100 miles apart. What kind of budget do you think they have?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Why doesnt Coastal play CoC? ;)

Im not defending the ooc, just that its not any worse than a lot of at large teams

CoC had 3 ooc series(9 games) vs tourney teams.. Neb(lost 3 close games, 1 cancld) Penn(won 2/3) & Wofford(won 2/3) All at home though which didnt help SOS as much as it would of on road. More than any sec/ac team scheduled.. 3 more than most.

I agree WES on your points if the conf records were remotely close,, but they arent. And rpi qualifies them to be in the comparison. And I think conf record still important..Otherwise UF & AU pretty much identical resumes.

7. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Also a good question. Both have been decent at baseball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Why does Southern Miss have an easier time scheduling OOC opponents? Friendlier neighbors? Or is it that they are willing to travel? I find it interesting that Charleston's trips away from home for OOC games have decreased the past couple of seasons:

2022: 12 (4-8), 1-4 against top 100, 2-7 against top 200
    2023: 5 (1-4), 0-4 against top 100
    2024: 4 (3-1), 1-1 against #54 RPI Georgia Southern; 2-0 against 190+ RPI teams

Here's the thing, though. This is intentional. This coach has the team at their highest RPI to close a season in a long time (I think 2015 under Matt Heath). I don't think their performance would all of a sudden put them on a do not invite list. In 2015, Heath played @ Carolina (3 games), scheduled to play @ Va. Tech for 2 games (played and won 1), @ Coastal, @ Clemson, @ Campbell, @ Ga. Southern, @ USC Update. They got in as an at-large.

I see the challenge of building a strong schedule decreasing, and I doubt it's because they can't find any takers.

All of this begs the question of what is fair game to lay at the feet of "compete for it" and what should be leveraged by the NCAA in the name of "fairness."

Should players be drafted?
    Should coaches rotate schools?
    Should stadium capacities be limited?
    Should conferences be forced to realign whenever an imbalance exists?

How many schools "deserve" to compete at the highest level? How should we pick the deserving and the not-as-deserving? Probably should let the visiting team be the "home" team once in a three game series to be fair, too.

In terms of total tournament view, I thought these stats were kind of interesting:

In 1980, there were 34 teams, 13 at-large bids and 21 automatic bids for a total of 249 D1 teams.
    When CoC started playing, there were 48 teams, 23 at-large bids, and 25 automatic bids for a total of 271 D1 teams.
    Now there's 64 teams, 34 at-large bids, and 30 automatic bids for a total of 300 D1 teams.

We've gone from at-large bids going to 5.2% of the field and automatic bids going to 8.4% of the field to at-large bids going to between 11% and 12% of the field (pretty consistently for the last 23 seasons) and automatic bids going to 10%+ of the field (since the last expansion).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
  9. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Again not defending their ooc.. why does Vandy have a 175 ooc? inexcusable imo,, i can at least somewhat understand lower budgets having harder time.

Im sure S Miss was certain Ind St would be 10 rpi...;)

2 easy fixes.. 500 minimum conf record.. or just expand and give everyone a 'trophy'

10. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I'm not in the know on any of this about CoC or Coastal but all this talk makes me ponder. Coastal, with all their success, has seen many good players leave for better schools and hopes of future opportunities. The Gators have gotten more than our fair share. But what about CoC? Are they regularly losing good players like Coastal or are they keeping "unheard of" players because they don't play a tougher schedule? If so, could this be by design in this new age of portal NIL world? Just something that makes me ponder and say hhmmm.

11. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Not sure,, but CoC ooc sos last year was 63. And on paper historically, this years looked harder IMo.. crap shoot.

12. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Impressive stuff. I wonder if it is at all tempting for the Nebraska coaches to try to save Sears for game 2. I would assume they don’t view the game against the Gators as that automatic, but this is a unique year.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Nebraska's coaching staff was formerly at Texas A&M - they know better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1