Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

NCAA Host Sites and Selection Show

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by WESGATORS, May 26, 2024.

1. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    I will admit I did not think we deserved to be in. But I did say to another poster in a personal text that the NCAA had back themselves into a corner 3 weeks ago, when they sent out the warning to all teams about dropping any late season games to lessor teams just to protect their SOS. By doing that they couldn't go against a team with the #1 SOS as long as they had a winning record. Otherwise the NCAA wouldn't have a leg to stand on for next year. Oh wait, we are talking about the NCAA so anything goes from week to week. Oh well the NCAA actually came thru for once. Go figure.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Once I saw Bama with a #2 seed I was pretty confident UF would get a bid, tho much much closer than I expected and certainly didn't expect getting sent to okie st. . :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Have you ever watched the movie Groundhog Day?

Last edited: May 28, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 4
  4. lostgator

lostgator Junior

Aug 20, 2009
    I feel like a new season has started and hope is restored!

It looks like this regional is winnable, as I believe that these other teams are not ready for an (even mediocre) SEC opponent. And anything can happen in a 3-game super regional (see our 2 wins on the road against Georgia when our backs were against the wall). We all know this team is capable of beating anyone, so I am going to be positive and predict that we put it all together for a triumphant run to Omaha. Sully seemed willing to lose a lot of midweek games in order to prepare the pitchers for the postseason. The gamble almost came back to bite him, but it did not. We are as prepared as we are going to be, and the road looks doable. I think we are going to make it back to Omaha!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Holbrook HC at CoC none to happy

Holbrook joined the Field of 64 and expressed his disappointment.

“I feel like I’m in the middle of a bad dream. … Our kids didn’t fall short. They deserved to be in. I feel like the metric we fell short in is we didn’t have a voice in the room. Because what we did between the white lines, we deserved to keep playing. It’s a total joke,” Chad Holbrook said.

“You’re talking to a coach that’s been fired for going 13-17. I understand what a mediocre regular season is, and I guess were in the point in time of NCAA Baseball where mediocre regular seasons are being rewarded.”

6. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    You follow this stuff more closely than me but I was amazed by their non-conference SOS considering where they are located. Looked at their schedule and they somehow didn't schedule UNC, USC, ECU, NcState, Wake, Duke, Coastal and other good teams in their backyard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    [​IMG]

9. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball…"~Jacques Barzun, 1954

• Like Like x 2
  10. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Or those teams wouldn't schedule them.....have to wonder if the ACC teams don't want any part of them mid week

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Things that make you go Hmmmmm…….

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Fair point on ooc sos(177). No idea what their travel budget is, probabably not much, and as mentioned are teams avoiding them?? again not sure.

But its not much worse than SC(140) Bama(165) LSU(142) Vandy(173) Duke(214) GT(202)....all at lage teams except Duke

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gator1977

gator1977 GC Legend

Apr 15, 2019
    Glad we're in of course but after laying an egg vs Vandy in Hoover, I wasn't sure we deserved it. SoS helped as did star power (Cags) and Sully reputation.
    Ok, let's think of it as "new season" although it's the same team... In game 1... beware of Nebraska RHP Brett Sears. He is 9-0 in 99 innings with an ERA of 2.00 and a WHIP of 0.81, 97 Ks and 18 walks. You read that correctly 2.00 ERA and 0.81 WHIP. The way Brye Cunningham carved us up in Hoover, I'd be prepared for similar stuff from Sears.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Ok, he’s legit but we don’t quit! He’s got 99IP/97K/18BB—He’s a strike thrower—so use that and hit it where it’s pitched!

Let’s do this Gators!

• Like Like x 2
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I recognize that they caught him at an emotional time, and I completely understand where he was coming from in terms of an expectation that they may have had (regardless of whether the expectation was right or wrong). Hopefully after the dust settles, he'll have more time to reflect on what they actually had control of.

When you are a bubble team, your complaint doesn't go very far. 34 at large teams get in, there's always a handful that feels they compare better than a team that made it in. Personally, I thought Charleston was more deserving than Georgia Tech was (just based on data). I'm not going to say FLORIDA was more or less deserving because I'm obviously biased, but if FLORIDA hadn't made it in, we had nothing to complain about. I would hope Sully focused more on what their team could have done better than any perceived due favor that wasn't received.

But with Holbrook, tough luck...in 2017, he went 35-25, 13-17, RPI = 31, and didn't get in. I'm willing to accept the idea that there are nuances that would have given our 2024 GATORS a slight edge over that 2017 Carolina team (compare SEC results if interested). But it has to be frustrating for him seeing himself on either end of it on the negative side (re: better record/higher RPI vs. better record/lower RPI).

If he says the big boys won't schedule him (he says they "begged" - I would love some follow-up on exactly what that entailed), you don't have to go to the upper 100's and beyond, maybe look in the 50-100 range? 13 OOC games against 180+. FLORIDA had 6. To any coach that says we can't get challenging games scheduled, I say prove it. I bet Lamar (12 OOC games +215 and 11 +230) would liked to have had a tougher schedule. Charleston played TWO non-home OOC games, I wonder if that's part of the problem with their scheduling woes? He said there were others who had a strength of schedule below theirs that got at large bids. [EDIT: Originally wrote Georgia Tech, but believe I was looking at the wrong column; were there ANY at larges that had a worse SOS than Charleston?]

You schedule ONE challenging OOC series, it's at home, and it's against a team whose ONLY Q1 wins are against you. What does your case look like if you don't get swept?

Complain to your conference, there are only 12 teams, you might have a better chance of changing what qualifies for the autobid. I have a hard time imagining that the CAA tournament is worth the trouble when you factor in all the costs involved. Attendance for their games against the non-host team were 641 and 647. Games against the host were 1331 and 1367. The capacity is 3500. Maybe go to a best of three series with the best record hosting?

I do agree with Baseball America's take on the need for more transparency. These things are only going to get worse in favor of the more dominant conferences.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/sto...it-right-but-process-needs-more-transparency/

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

16. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    If we hadn’t gotten in I think we would have had a better argument than CoC.
    The committee consistently says, schedule a solid out of conference, which we did, still had a top 30 RPi and a winning record.
    CoC didn’t, regardless of the reason.
    Yes teams with worse or similar OOC got in, but they also played brutal conference slates. Just to further that point, CoC played 7 quad one games, we played 31. They had 3 quad one wins, we had 13. They played one series against a P5 team, had it at home, and got swept (Nebraska ironically). We played 18 games against host teams and went 9-9. They played the 177th best OOC, we played the 21st. Our RPI was 30, theirs was 42.
    Schedule better, whatever it takes, but as mediocre as we were, there really isn’t a metric to at says they deserved a spot over us.
    Someone can do something similar with GA Tech or Indiana.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Made about same or better effort to schedule ooc as a lot of sec /acc teams that can afford to schedule how they choose.

Although the sec /acc teams wouldnt really be my gripe if CCH,, Indiana , coastal etc would be

No business even being a bubble team IMO.. But this is what you get when reward for a week rather than all year(auto bids)

18. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    neither did 4 of the 5 13-17 sec teams

19. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Just for fun (KPI, RPI, ELO, ISR, TOTAL)

FLORIDA: 23, 30, 27, 40, 120
    Charleston: 47, 42, 23, 33, 145
    Georgia Tech: 34, 49, 50, 39, 172
    James Madison: 42, 44, 61, 52, 199
    Indiana: 48, 55, 62, 55, 220

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  20. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Right, but that's apples and oranges. Why are we only talking about OOC rather than the entire schedule? Teams like Charleston *should* schedule a more difficult OOC than typical SEC/ACC teams.

Agree, but that's a complaint for his AD and their conference. Something they can actually do something about if they want to (much more likely to change that than the NCAA selection process, in my opinion).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 2