Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nate Oats sucks as a leader of men

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Par for the couse REM, par for the course at Bammer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If I was a lawyer that's certainly the argument i would present. Miller brought the gun to his friend because he thought his friend was in trouble and needed it for self defense. Hard to argue with that

3. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Here's those last two comments:

I hope this provides clarity for you:

Coach Oats is in a different position than I am - therefore he really has to issue statements a "certain way" so as not to offend anyone or cast any negativity on the school/program/etc.

That said, I find it refreshing when someone just speaks their mind......as it rolls out of their brain. Without someone else getting involved to proof read, edit, etc.

5. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    After seeing the latest statement from their athletic department it's clear to me the AD there doesn't have to consider the student code of conduct of the university. Miller will learn his lesson like the kid that punched the TN on the football field, or that's the plan today.

6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    If it’s reasonable to assume that it’s going to be used in a crime, then I’d assume you could be charged as an accessory or accomplice. What has he already admitted to as the reason for bringing his buddy a gun? If he kept his mouth shut, and there’s no recorded conversation or text chain, then I wouldn’t think they’d bring charges as it would difficult to get a conviction.

If they could somehow prove that he knew what the gun would be used to commit murder, (or any crime for that matter), then absolutely they could charge you. Like if there’s a text saying “bring the gun, i’m gonna kill this b@#$&”. However, if he’s fully cooperating and they’re going to be able to nail the actual killer with his help, it wouldn’t be too shocking for him to not be charged. They let accomplices who’ve participated much more in the actual crime off with minimal or no charges all the time, as long as they’re getting who they really want and the accomplice is cooperating.

*I just saw traubgator’s post. I think what I said falls in with what he said, just in dumb people words instead of legalese, lol.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Those Gumps will kill their sister-wife just to win

10. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Maybe this falls under Polish rules? :emoji_thinking:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    "it's not like he shot the president"...

12. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    Nah man, he brought the gun to his friend who needed to study it because he was writing a report on gun violence for a class that he already had an “A” on

Totally innocent!

13. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Si is jumping on the pile:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/...ontroversy-continues-nate-oats-brandon-miller

While laws might not have been broken by him or Bradley, and perhaps not even team rules, they certainly did not handle a life-and-death situation in a manner that coaches everywhere would want to see from their players. They were part of the problem.

Oats’s initial dismissal of the magnitude of Miller’s involvement—“wrong spot at the wrong time”—was embarrassing. The school subsequently noted the statement from Miller’s attorney, Bill Standridge, as part of the explanation for him playing Wednesday against South Carolina. (With chants of “Lock him up” audible in South Carolina’s arena, Miller scored 41 points, including the tying basket at the end of regulation and the winning basket in overtime.)

But Standridge’s skillful statement omits a few things and leaves holes in his client’s timeline. After parting ways with Miles and Davis as they entered a bar because, Miller said, the line to get in was too long, where did he go? With whom? For how long? Where was he when the text arrived from Miles telling Miller that he wanted his gun?

Standridge said that Miller “had no knowledge of any intent to use the weapon,” but asking for a gun at roughly 1:40 a.m. after coming out of a bar could only lead to dangerous situations and potentially tragic outcomes.

Only 4 paragraphs per rules but more following . . .

14. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm not so sure this is going away for the kid anytime soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    The more this guy talks the more I dislike his disingenuous remarks.

"Think that's something that's been going on all year. I don't really know. I don't watch our introductions, I'm drawing up plays during that time."

Yeah, "drawing up plays" during introductions so he has just "missed it" all year.

Also blaming the "administration" for not allowing him to say something worse too. Will ONLY address basketball issues going forward . . . after, of course, a PR statement giving him the last word.

This will hound them into the NCAA Tournament.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s one thing to be tone deaf. But it’s obvious that’s not the problem.

The whole Bama organization, starting with the coaching staff and players, the admin, and of course the fanbase, just flat out doesn’t give a shit. In their minds, they have much bigger fish to fry than some random lady being gunned down. She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just a small bump in the quest for a championship.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Miller's attorney doesn't have to tell the truth in a press release and it contradicts important statements made earlier this week from the grand jury report. It's a whitewash.

Apparently, there is no code of conduct for athletes that applies to regular students by the university. The UAA appears to be truly independent there. The only way someone doesn't play at Bama is if they are in jail. Doubtful UF would handle this situation the same.

• Agree Agree x 2