Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Nate Oats sucks as a leader of men

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by channingcrowderhungry, Feb 21, 2023.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    It depends on a few different factors.

NONE of which is really known at this time.

But I do feel Coach Oats probably could have made a more diplomatic statement than his did.

But I actually prefer his candor, myself......

2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    They do a lot of things the right way.

Are they perfect?

Of course not.

No program is.

3. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I haven't commented on coach Oats. I'm asking a yes/no question. Your last two statements appear contradictory.

4. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    I doubt Oates wrote the clarification statement. That reads like PR with legal review. One thing that's clear. They are concerned foremost with maintaining Miller's eligibility.

5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    An absolute tragedy, and a disastrous statement.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops GC Columnist VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    This is getting really ugly. It wouldn’t shock me to see it ultimately end Oates’ tenure.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Problem is, he was right in what he said earlier, if he knew, then the admin knew too. So who is going to fire him? It would have to be the university President probably, and he will get a ton of alumni pressure to keep Oats. It’s just how Bama is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    I see I've missed a lot. lol

9. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. Why isn't this being an accomplice or accessory to murder?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So Miles is charged with murder for providing the gun to his buddy who shot an innocent woman. But Miller is cannot be charged with anything for providing the gun to the person - who provided the gun to the shooter?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This sounds like a question to be answered based on Alabama law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

According to Alabama law:

Miles: 4.2 PTS, 2.3 REB, 0.6 AST = Murder Charge

Miller: 18.7 PTS, 8.0 REB, 1.9 AST = Wrong spot at the wrong time

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorinmi

gatorinmi GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wouldn't be the first time that a school acted only once everything went public.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bposs

bposs GC Hall of Fame

Sep 3, 2010
    Woodstock, GA
    Just need to delay it until end of March, or when Bama gets kicked out of the tournament.

15. traubgator

traubgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    2 statutes/laws I found

"12.1-06-02. Criminal facilitation.

1. A person is guilty of criminal facilitation if he knowingly provides substantial assistance to a person intending to commit a felony and that person, in fact, commits the crime contemplated, or a like or related felony, employing the assistance so provided. The ready lawful availability from others of the goods or services provided by a defendant is a factor to be considered in determining whether or not his assistance was substantial. This section does not apply to a person who is either expressly or by implication made not accountable by the statute defining the felony facilitated or related statutes.

2. Except as otherwise provided, it is no defense to a prosecution under this section that the person whose conduct the defendant facilitated has been acquitted, has not been prosecuted or convicted, has been convicted of a different offense, is immune rom prosecution, or is otherwise not subject to justice.

3. Facilitation of a class A felony is a class C felony. Facilitation of a class B or class C felony is a class A misdemeanor."

Under Alabama law, code 13A-2-23, a person is legally accountable for the behavior of another person if he or she "procures, induces or causes such other person to commit the offense."

A person can also be charged under the law if he or she aids or abets another person in committing a crime or fails to prevent a crime while having the ability to do so.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    Not sure about Alabama but it is legal to have a gun in your car on UF campus. That is assuming the person can legally own a firearm. I read one report that said he thought Miller wanted the gun for self defense. Of course I have no idea what is or is not true.

17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Thanks. This helps to answer my question. It seems that the words "knowingly" and "intending" are key here. I wonder if prosecutors in AL will do the right thing and pursue charges.

knowingly provides substantial assistance to a person intending to commit a felony

Side note: I didn't even realize that Miller was still playing. It's hard to believe that an NCAA athlete who provided a gun used to kill has been permitted to participate. But I guess that makes me naive.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    The prosecutors will do the right thing to keep Brandon playing. LOL. As for the basketball program, they had lost two straight before we played them, Miller dadgum played against us.
    Of course boys being boys! They need him to make sure they are in the NCAA tournament. Sad how the SEC Commissioner has been silent, look the other way. Just think if it was Florida this was happening to. Another entitled kid getting a pass due to his athletic ability.

19. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    just waiting for saban to give his blessings.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  20. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Tide just being what they are.............dirty ass water..............