Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Napiers recruiting?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by GTRM8, Dec 21, 2023.

1. biggynugs

biggynugs All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, fl
    I think Billy did a rock star job getting the guys we wanted committed to us (would have loved some 5 star Oline). But the whole last minute bag man eBay sniping thing combined with the unfortunate win loss record made his recruiting look worse than it is. How long has it been since we have had as many 5 stars and high 4s committed to us in a cycle. Gotta lock down the on field performance, coaching wtfs, discipline and process issues, and figure out our last minute outbid repellant, I think he could wind up a lights out recruiter.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    I think it was the correct call, but they need to rethink the sliding rule in nfl and cfb. Seems to me it puts the qb in more jeopardy from getting concussed than just diving forward head first.

The action to kick your feet out in front to start a slide often doesn't give the defender much time when if qbs try to eek out every inch. And the whole "start of the slide" spot makes it even worse as far as qbs waiting as long as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    It should definitely be down at the start of the slide, as they shouldn’t get several extra yards for free when nobody is allowed to touch them. I think they should stop calling the penalties when qb’s decide to slide after the defender has already committed to hit them. Don’t want to get hurt? Get your ass down. Want to pick up the first down? Don’t be a big vagina and go get it. You shouldn’t get to get every possible inch if you’re scared someone might touch you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    I think they should require the QB to be sliding 3 yards before the defender arrives. If you dont want to get hit on the football field its going to cost you a big chunk of yardage. If you want to wait and stick your nose in then youre getting clocked. FSU's qb bowed up knowing he needed a few more yards and bailed out last minute because he was going to get clobbered. His late decision got him clocked...penalty yes...but the guy felt brave and then lost his stones at the last second.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    Tough to implement something like this but I agree something needs to be done. Sliding isn't this magical thing that stops physics if a defender is in the process of making a tackle.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    I agree, it was the correct call I’m just saying it wasn’t malicious, purposeful or reckless on our guys part. It’s a tough one specially when he goes into a slide late, almost need instant replay for that

8. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bigger issue is he lead with his helmet....no excusing that

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    When you go low, your head is going to be out front. They should know better than to lead with the crown, but diving with your face up is kind of awkward and unnatural, so I do understand why it still happens. If the qb doesn’t slide at the last second, the helmet gets him below the waist.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Something similar to a fair catch exclusion but I feel the QB is the one obligated to find a way to say "I give up, dont hit me" before he is hit. If your want to go head first then youre getting walloped like a running back would but if youre declaring yourself done with forward progress so you arent hit it should be your obligation to avoid an obvious impact by giving up very early in lieu of about 5 yards of progress. As it stands now the QB can wait until the last second...bail out and virtually get a contact penalty nearly every time.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Hi biggy -

Agree that Napier did a good job during the course of the recruiting cycle and despite all the defections,
    it was still a good class, with various positions of need met. If he could have maintained it, it was an exceptional class
    at one point, about 4 - 5 weeks before signing day. 5 Game losing streaks don't help however.

Pesonally, I don't think the UF fan base has quite "adjusted' to the new recruiting realities however. I keep reading posts
    about "verbal committments" meaning something, loyalty to the coaching staff recruiting a player, loyalty to the institution,
    if a player is a legacy, whose "gear" the recruit is wearing, whom did they "like" growing up, that sort of thing.

That's old school thinking and, while it will still be true in some cases, I think, will have less and less importance going down the road.
    Amatuer College football is as dead as rotary phones. It's a new world out there, it's an unregulated free market enterprise.

Our favorite dentist, The "meh" Marine warned us that verbal commits and class rankings were literally meaningless
    until ink hit paper. I think events proved him right. We have enough evidence now that it was an 'auction" for many of the high ranking players.
    While not greatly discussed it seems LJ and probably Lagway, both went to UF and said: "OK - I have this late offer - will you match it"?
    And that is an ultimatum provided to an institution when the player "LIKES YOU" or wants to go to your School.

I have ZERO inside information but considering it's an "AUCTION" out there, it seems clear to me that UF IS NOT as interested in "buying" or
    "aquiring" top kids, as other institutions, when it comes to a straight "money" deal. Just looking at the SEC, my gut tells me, "MONEY-WISE"
    UF boosters / NIL collective currently are running behind: Bama, UGA, TAMU, Texas, LSU, Auburn and Ole Miss. Not so sure about TN, Oklahoma,
    Mizzou. That puts UF somewhere in the middle to lower end of the SEC scale when it comes to spending, which, to be honest, is a bit surprising
    considering the UF Alumni base and numbers.

Because of these things, it remains to be seen if Billy can be a "TOP" H.S. recruiter and bring in top 5 H.S. classes. It also remains to be seen if
    Billy can work the Portal to great Advantage. I believe that the TP is even MORE driven by financial reward than H.S. recruiting.

Recruiting is strictly a business now and no matter how impressive a coach is, the facilities are, and the other fluff, I suspect the
    financial aspect will only continue to grow as the primary driver for decision making.

While Miami's recruiting success is not particularily surprising given their billionaires and (drug money) resources, I am a bit shocked at FSU being able
    to dole out the cash. My assumption was that Institution and their investors were reeling from numerous recent financial disasters and coaching changes,
    that however does not seem to be the case. No they did not finish top 5 but they beat our class and still maintained top 10 status. They also seem to have the transfer Portal down pat given their success in that domain the last few years.

Finally and my biggest concern, is that Napiers year 3 class, (which I thought would be UF's BUMP CLASS) was anything but.
    That combined with the LACK of Florida kids. I thought Napier made headway last cycle with that, but it was the exact reverse
    this cycle.

Once again (and every year) UF comes up losing out on much of the local In - State studs. In fact UF can't secure the top guys in the central part
    of the state. I find this disasterous by my way of thinking. My schtick has always been, secure a good % of top 100 kids from Florida H.S. - Say
    7 - 8 and win titles. All kinds of titles. Well we did get LJ but thats where the top end list ends.

The future? Shaky man, shaky, Coach has spent all his House money, he needs to win in every area going forward. I hope he does, I like coach Napier,
    he is a good man, but are "good men" what are needed to be successful in the college game nowadays?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Good post. If UF decides not to compete in the NIL race that's fine with me. It'll be a cfb world I won't care much about. Just not interested in who can raise and spend the most. Same as all other pro sports.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    Everything you've described doesn't change if Billy is replaced, unless you believe that big donors aren't donating now but will do so with another coach at the helm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Another bottom line to consider. This little change in the game to get kids "T-Shirt money to buy pizza's" (LMAO)
    has now become (You want a good team? - Pay for it!!).

Hey, if I was stacked, absolutely I would throw money at it. I'm not, so what little I throw at it will buy
    a recruiter and a prospect a couple of lunchs at Sonny's BBQ. (maybe)

I find it infuriating that when all this was "hatching" the plotters said very little about transferring the cost to the
    fan base / viewing public.

I will conclude that I tend to understand when someone put their boot up my a*s. That is EXACTLY what the
    University Presidents, The TV Money Pigs, and the NCAA did to us here. At least IMO.

Sorry - I can't say "thank you sir give me another", like some on this board. Nope

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Gatorhead

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I didn't say it would.

16. ofmgator12

ofmgator12 Senior

Jul 23, 2022
    NIL ambushed BN...plain and simple.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    That and portal madness would torpedo any rebuild especially a massive one like we have. Players didn't even have parking, proper food or housing.

The fact that we are still working out fundamental things like nutrition and S&C are telling.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    NIL ambushed most schools that weren’t already overpaying for prospects.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    If true, he should never have been a candidate for a HC job at a major University. I seriously doubt its that simplistic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    A qb run fair catch, run until he waves his hands in the air :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1