Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Napiers recruiting?

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by GTRM8, Dec 21, 2023.

1. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Not arguing but, I think NIL offers have a lot to do with it though. That’s hard to factor in when it can come from any team at any time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    It's a fair critique. No one should try and suppress that perspective. The gripe is the multiple threads sometimes started by the same member while offering no discourse and nothing but criticism.

The fact that Napier had us in position with so many high end recruits speaks to his recruiting. The fact that we lost so many right at the end especially to programs who have been known to throw tons of money at recruits speaks to a bigger issue with NIL and recruiting in general.

This isn't new either. Funny how guys like Sunseri, Raymond, Brewster, come here and flounder while earning amazing reputations elsewhere. Maybe that is a clue that something is different with how Florida operates at an administrative level.

Meyer praised florida for the ease of recruiting that is built into the program but I always thought that was him using his psychology to push that narrative publicly to create that vibe. The reality is florida had been losing recruiting battles to fsu, Miami and Georgia even during the spurrier years. We have always been behind in the recruiting game and when we tried to play by the same rules under Pell we got hammered for it.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Sure, but NIL is part of the playing field now. Napier should understand that. Our enemies certainly do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Well at least that's a little better than the title that got proposed back in the Muschamp/McElwain era: Awful Recruiting Forum

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I would somewhat agree with some of your statements but I think the main driver of the de-commitments was: [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. funngun28

funngun28 Junior

Jan 5, 2020
    This is the thing I keep coming back to now… if we all see issues with the gameday/on field decisions and we are banking on CBN’s recruiting prowess to make up for that… but we also agree that the new NIL component upends the traditional recruitment and abilities of old school recruiters to close… then what, exactly, does this regime bring to the table that would make us feel confident in our future?

I really like CBN as a person and I want him to succeed here, moreso than anyone since the HBC… but the current reality of CFB, NIL, our UAA and this staff’s gameday abilities… let’s just say I’m not optimistic. I really really REALLY hope I’m wrong.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Mentioned it before, his ability to evolve combined with his desire to succeed. That may sound like a BS answer but his vision of what the program needed to modernize was a great start. Bringing in armstrong was another. My biggest hesitation at this point has been his reluctance to give up the OC role and that is a big one. Our offense has been productive despite what some of the casuals have claimed but there has been a distinct problem with the flow of the playcalling along with the obvious time and time out management issues. Also, the lack of urgency regarding some game situations has been frustrating as well.

So to answer, we have a young coach who has a great reputation as a good man that has modernized the program and hopefully will evolve a couple of pieces that will in turn give us a stable coach for years to come. As a supporter, I still felt every bit of the frustration the way we couldn't pull off wins against Arkansas, mizzou and fsu. He did make his job much harder when he lost those games because like many here, process does not have to be mutually exclusive of progress.

In summary, I see problems but I also see qualities. Gotta run with who we have and our own fan base is basically leading the negativity when we have an entire college football world against us already.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  8. cyberdyne

cyberdyne GC Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    Of?

EJ?
    DM?
    BN?
    SS?
    UAA?

• Like Like x 1
  9. freedomgator

freedomgator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 26, 2017
    So your claim is that Napier doesn't understand that NIL is part of the playing field?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Pretty sure I stated that he should understand that NIL is a part of the game now. And that was in response to a poster who seemed to suggest that the last-minute bolts from this class were not Napier’s fault, because it was last-minute money thrown at these guys to break their commitments, as if that was something Napier could not anticipate or manage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    Yeah, of course he should've managed it. All he had to do was call you up and you'd drop the necessary bags for the players that went elsewhere.

[​IMG]

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    Oh, gosh, I have no idea. I’m not really in the position to propose solutions to this catastrophic situation. Now if you start paying me $7.1M/year, today, I promise I will drop out of War College, decline brigade command, not give another thought to great-power rivalry with China or Russia, and dedicate all of my time and energy to solving our beloved university’s woefully uncompetitive football program. My first two acts are going to be hiring someone who knows how to coach special teams followed by someone else who has mastered coordinating an offense and has some experience calling plays from a high-altitude perspective. But right after that I’ll put my efforts into researching how our enemies have cracked the code on this Gordian Knot called NIL, and we’ll just do that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. freedomgator

Mar 26, 2017
    Exactly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  14. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Screenshot_20231221_222424_Instagram.jpg
    How does the coach stop that from happening if the school or boosters aren't spending that type of money? We have lost guys to programs like aTm, Miami, Georgia, Bama and now sorry ass auburn...all programs who have unabashedly been dropping crazy money on kids and some of them for years now. Now we have Texas and Texas aTm to deal with as well. We ain't matching their NIL game.

Sure we win some battles but we lose more than we win irrespective of coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    *looks wistfully at Georgia*

Lose five 5 stars and still finish #1 with a bullet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    See my above answer to essentially the same question: Pay me $7.1M/year, and I’ll tell you. Or failing that, make the guy who’s getting that money come up with the answer. That would be a pretty good deal to get the money and not have to answer that question with anything better than excuses.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    Orrrr...
    These consistently negative nellies are rival fans who love stirring up dirt!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Some-but you may be surprised not all that many...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    You had me at first I’ll hire a special teams coach..YOURE HIRED! Now about that $7.1M…would you consider Sheba Coin instead and I can even hook you up for a night with my mother in law (makes listening to Roseann Barr seem enjoyable).

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    [​IMG]

So we’re negotiating. I’m listening …

• Funny Funny x 1