Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Napier’s Big Decision

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jailer, Apr 14, 2024.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    There was no point in reading this past the very first untrue sentence.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. gatorranger7

gatorranger7 All American

Jun 8, 2007
    Hey, this is still a sports forum where fans debate issues about which many opinions can exist simultaneously. Right?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Such a luxury to attract top players who know they need to work and earn their way rather than jump at NIL and a starting spot day one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    We need to beat Miami. Plain and simple. Glaring issues?! Napier needs to get his special teams in order. Like NOW! The fact there was ANY issue with special teams in the spring game is preposterous.

Mertz is the guy. Period. DJ, will be the guy. Unless Napier has lost his mind, he will use DJ as well. (I have no reason to believe he won't) DJ is a first down waiting to happen and is a huge problem for defenses, consequently, DJ needs some packages. He shouldn't be used in mop up. Napier should play both QB's and use that third string guy for mop-up.

The Leak/Tebow scenario has been mentioned quite often, this is a great reference. If Napier doesn't duplicate that he will most likely lose his job. Mertz will have to give up some stats for the team. This is a team sport and nurturing DJ along is key. Not using him effectively would be criminally ignorant.

Not that I have an opinion on this...

We all know this. Mertz is great. DJ very well could be the savior. We'll be salivating watching him this year. In 2025 he will walk on the field with his cape gently moving in the breeze. Backlit, spring loaded and ready to really perform...:eek::p:D

Go Gators.:cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Since we have a tweet by his father thanking Mertz for stepping up as a mentor for Lagway, that would be confirmed.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Junior

Jul 4, 2011
    "DJ is NFL ready". I hope that you were being sarcastic, otherwise, your football knowledge is Belgian like. Good grief.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    Sure, but when you get simple facts wrong in the very first sentence, it discourages the reader from taking the rest of the post at face value.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Stupid opinions are welcome. They make highly active threads.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  9. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    If the facts are wrong, disagree and debate. And, I'd counsel not to throw out the baby with the bath water. I'm just saying that the Gator / Swamp Gas Standard should be everyone is civil while doing so.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I like Jailor's post. In it, there is truth. Mertz does have limited athletic ability, perhaps even limited QB ability. Not sure he can pass downfield consistently, under pressure, in big games. At the same time, it's not clear Napier's scheme makes that easy. Add to that, that our OL did not protect enough last season for any QB to be successful. Many of the completions, for whatever reason(s) are inadequate for down and distance. But that doesn't mean a backup with no experience, who can run better than Mertz, should be given the starting role. I don't believe Mertz has a lot of confidence in his downfield passing. That could be because he doesn't see the field well, too much pressure, or Napier's route tree. Don't know. But DJ should not be thrown into games as where he might make critical mistakes running the offense, just because he might be able to scramble for a few first downs. The minute that happened, unnecessarily and cost a game, wolves would be all over Napier.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    DJ should get some meaningful reps in every game this season. Frankly, I'll be surprised and disappointed if that doesn't happen. In this moment, however, after the O&B game I'm more confident in both Mertz and DJ than I was before. IMO, Graham is considerably more capable and has better arm talent than some people seem to think. DJ is potentially the prototypical modern athletic QB phenom who will lead UF back to glory - maybe. Stay tuned.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    2023 Mertz in the SEC:
    73% completion rate
    2903 yards passing in 10.5 games (276 yards/game)
    20 TD, 3 INT
    4 rushing TDs
    -75 yards rushing
    157.8 passer rating

2023 Ewers in the Big 12:
    69% Completion rate
    3479 yards passing in 12 games (289 yards/game)
    22 TD, 6 INT
    5 rushing TDs
    75 yards rushing
    158.6 passer rating

So, I would say that Mertz actually was, in fact, very much a Ewers-like QB, and even a little better in some aspects. But, unlike Ewers, Mertz had to operate under a more difficult schedule and in an overall tougher conference. And, he did that without the same level of supporting OL cast protecting him.

Mertz will start. Lagway will get a frequent package like Tebow did behind Leak. DJ will step in if Graham gets injured this year, and he will also take over the reins next year. No big decision here.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    • Winner x 11
    • Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  13. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Yards per completion for the two would be interesting to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Alternating QBs is a recipe for disaster. It fails more than it is successful. It takes your starter out of his rhythm and kills the momentum of the drive.
    If Napier was a stud play caller then maybe. But we all know he is not. He is predictable and that is trouble for putting in packages for different QBs.
    As an example, in the O&B game, late in the game it was 3rd and 24 and Nap calls a behind the line screen play. That is his tendency.

DJ will get his chance to shine. Focus on scoring so he gets snaps in the 4th quarter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Need to work him in as the season progresses. If he lives up to the hype he will be gone in 3, so can't afford for him to sit all season. This could very well be similar to Leak and Tebow year one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    30 seconds + google returned:

Ewers 8.8
    Mertz 8.1

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    No it won't be, completely different offensive styles. Meyer's spread vs Nap's 12 personnel.
    And if he is that good he will be gone in 3 no matter what.
    Focus on scoring every drive and give him 4th qtr time.

Mertz came back to better his draft stock and give Florida an experienced QB. Yet people want to sideline him for a true freshman. The same fans get pissed when a good player hits the portal. They scream that there is no loyalty anymore. Where is the loyalty for Mertz? It's a two way street.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Makes their combined stats more comparable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    DJ looks like he has a much higher ceiling. But until further notice, he has a much lower floor. Mertz may play things close to the vest (we shall see what is Mertz 2.0 shortly) and play in a way that does not get the game over by the 4th quarter. But still, you don't expect a true freshman QB to be all-SEC caliber.

The real question is, will Napier have good plays for DJ to run to keep the defense off-balance? If the answer is "yes" then things should look good on that side of the ball, and for winning the game. If the answer is "not really" then we have a dilemma. It means that Napier isn't truly prepared to embrace the "DEFCON 1" scenario that is this season. But if we get a real taste of what DJ is capable of and the remaining parts of the team are wanting, I can see where we go all Plan B and make DJ the starter. But that is NOT the correct play right now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    DJ needs to play every game IF he can make a positive contribution. Napier has no reason to save him. He can't be Dan. If Nape doesn't win, he's gone and so is DJ.

• Winner Winner x 1