Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Napier’s Big Decision

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by jailer, Apr 14, 2024.

1. shaun10

shaun10 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Stop. DJ may end up being good enough to play in the NFL but he is not "NFL ready" right now.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    See the quote. A poster said DJ is NFL ready? Awesome!

3. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Wow

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. tripsright

tripsright GC Legend

Dec 2, 2021
    Florida
    Wow

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. jailer

jailer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Mertz starts because the Wisconsin transfer, who lost his starting job, transferred to Florida and his passing statics look great! He completed 73% of his passes but we have a 5-7 record. He is a good game manager with limited athletic ability.

What variable causes anyone on this forum to honestly believe that we can expect a better result this year when everyone agrees that we have the toughest schedule in CFB? Do we all agree that Mertz is one-dimensional and not a run threat? Does someone here know some inside scoop that our OL has substantially improved beyond what we saw with our own eyes in Spring and can be depended on to keep the pocket clean for him (as required with a non-mobile QB)?

The need for a mobile two-dimensional QB with this questionable OL is obvious. Please proffer all evidence in your learned possession that demonstrates:
    (a)-Mertz has become a mobile two- dimensional threat;
    (b)-Mertz has a substantially better arm than DJ;
    (c)-We have substantially better WR’s this year than last;
    (d)-That the Gator Nation is now willing to accept mediocrity (6-6) as the acceptable benchmark for this program?
    (e)-That the “process” has led to dynamic and obvious improvement of Florida Football?

This is not easy but like it or not, the large hoard of Gator Football Fans, who do not live and die Gator Football 365 days a year, will expect substantial improvement or a new answer to the puzzle. That answer is at practice, fully engaged and brings tangible excitement.

He does not know the playbook. He will freak out and get torn to shreds by Miami. He is too young and immature…

All things equal, my guess is that Galen Hall retrospectively, would agree that he should have started Emmitt Smith against Miami. We still may have lost but it would have instilled some confidence and hope in our team and fans. A loss to Miami will be much more acceptable to our fans if the best player (DJ notwithstanding his inexperience) starts at QB. This act will save Napier. Go Gators!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  7. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I remember my first beer, in Hawaii!
    Many followed. Including many other wonderful things!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I'm all about it Rick, and frankly I'm not so sure it's an either or with these two.
    DJ is a tank, can run, can throw on the run, so why wouldn't coach have specific packages for DJ, utilizing his particular talents, and creating more for the other sides defensive coordinator to think about, and prepare for.

To take it a step further, I think the entire fan base would be sorely disappointed if that was not the case!

I see a dynamic duo in the making and that's not just O and B glasses talking.

Looks like UF has greater depth in the running game than expected.

I agree 100% that getting the best possible wide receiver out of the portal should be a very high priority going into the upcoming transfer portal window.

Not to talk too much out of my asz, what, me having not stepped close to campus in months.

Buttt, if my reading of this site, numerous UF themed podcasters, watching the spring game on the tube, and referencing a few other SEC sources,...... gives me a sense of, things are looking up, energy levels are high, and reports from spring camp suggests UF may go into fall feeling good about themselves.

Should the portal be kind, with a few extra pieces, a good S & C summer program, and of course a light or injury free fall, could....

Dare I say it, ......... see a rejuvenated UF squad kick Miami's butt!

That's what I'm looking for. 1 - 0 start, at home, against that program. Historic game in my opinion, for both programs to kick off 24.

So glad we "get it on" in GAINESVILLE.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    These posts just keep getting dumber

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. ufstrong57

ufstrong57 Junior

Nov 13, 2023
    This kind of reminds me of Leak/Tebow, no doubt Mertz will start and no doubt there will be a package of plays for DJ. I think the amount of time given to DJ really depends on Mertz. If we slowly march down the field as before with little to show for it, or if seeking more chunk plays but gets intercepted a lot, then I think we will see more of DJ.
    Personally, I think Mertz will do just fine.

11. gainesvillegreen44

gainesvillegreen44 GC Legend

Nov 5, 2015
    Omnipresent
    You wanna know how this is handled by pros- look nor further than Manning-Texas. Don’t start a kid in the SEC off of talent and hype

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    That was a long time ago and the college game is completely different.
    Pulling your starting QB just to get packages in for your backup just screws both of them up as well as the rhythm of the other players.

DJ can wait his turn and play late if we are up 3 touchdowns. Or if Mertz shits the bed, than you put him in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jailer

jailer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Mertz is no Quinn Ewers!

14. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    One only needs to back to Trask’s senior season and the insertion of EJ when Kyle had the offense moving and the chilling effect that move had on offensive continuity.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. jailer

jailer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Remember the rotation of Doug Johnson and Noah Brindise?

16. thenazz

thenazz Senior

Sep 4, 2017
    Albuquerque
    And so it begins. Calgon, take me away ...

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Is this the new normal? DJ has his own hype man to up his salary by the start of the season? Is this player oriented or agent? Interesting.

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Seems true but your talking EJ

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. foot

foot Senior

Mar 24, 2008
    DJ will get packages for situational times like goal line, but mainly to give the opposing defenses a lot more to think about and deal with.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Anybody stop to think that maybe DJ and his family knew going in that he was going to be #2 and spend the majority of his 1 year preparing/learning. Me thinks they would have gone another route if he felt he was ready to be #1.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1