Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Name the Player You Think, Currently, Has a High Ceiling? Why?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Mar 27, 2024.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2018
    Aiden Mizell"s name continues to shine in practice. Andy Jean is still wearing a no-contact jersey. Regardless, Trey Wilson is the best receiver, with Dike and KJ being the three. Tank is projected as Trey's backup. WR is the biggest question mark by the sports writers. Will Dike establish himself as the replacement for Pearsall? Obviously, he does not have the reputation of Pearsall, but will he come out of the gate as one of Mertz's weapons? Hopefully, Dike and KJ can show the opposition they are a force as well!

• Like Like x 1
  2. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    While not an unheralded recruit, I think Tank Hawkins may contribute even this year. He is just so fast. I am not sure if he will return kicks or punts or how he will be used…heck, have him play on fg block units off the edge like Rainey did.

on offense, I suspect Trey Wilson will play more outside this year so does Hawkins get some of those quick pop passes in his place this year, using his speed to get outside in a hurry?

be interesting to see.

3. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Dike at WI is actually pretty comparable to Pearsal at ASU. Ricky only started for 1 year, with his best year at ASU quite similar to Dikes best year at WI - it was the third year in their respective programs for each of them.

pearsall. 48 catches. 580 yards and 4 tds
    Dike 47 catches. 689 yards and 6 tds

They also had nearly identical rushing yards and with 1 TD each.

I don’t recall what type of offense ASU ran. But I know WI offense wasn’t great for qbs (see Mertz) and last year the Fickell offense was horrid- I tried to watch a gam or two of WI (I was born there so kind of root for them) but it was like watching high school offense. So bad. So Dike’s stats suffered last year.

anyway, Pearsall left ASU with similar stats and blossomed at UF. Maybe Dike can do the same. Though….Pearsall stats were much better in year 2 at UF and Dike will only get one year.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    there’s a decent talent pool of inexperienced guys, so I kind of expect one of them at least to make a bit of a splash this year. We have other guys who are already proven to be decent receivers. With a decent offensive line and a running game, and a balanced offense, I do not think receivers will be a problem at all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Wilson may move outside, but he kind of reminds me of Wes Welker. He’s kind of hard to cover on all the short stuff. That may be his niche.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    He'll be all over the place. We saw it last year. More outside probably if Mertz has a bit more time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    One of them has to step up. Hopefully, one does....its too easy for a team to shut-down a 1 WR team. Pearsall greatly benefited from Wilson's emergence. Who will Wilson benefit from is the question.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That wouldn’t surprise me at all, but he may be much more dangerous in the slot. It just depends on all the other guys I guess as to where he will be needed

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Thanks for sharing! Go Badgers, until the day they play the Gators. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  10. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    Overall what I saw of their games with Dike and Mertz, Dike looked like a pretty solid receiver. Pearsall doesn't have Dike's size but is probably a better athlete and overall receiver. I think ideally Dike would be a possession guy more than stretching the field or running after catch. We have much better options in Wilson, Hawkins, and Mizell for that. I think Dike is what I hoped Burke would be and could be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    I'd currently say our future basketball player, Olivier Rioux. Dude needs a high ceiling just to stand up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    “Getting high on hopium”

I like that.

13. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    I originally thought Burke and Fraziars had high ceilings. I still can't figure out why neither has emerged! Both are 6'4" and 200 (Burke) and 215lbs (Fraziars). The receiver group really needs these lads to shine this year!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    I believe Treyaun Webb has a high ceiling. He hits the hole hard like Trevor Ettiene. His YPC was comparable to the starters in 2023. Will we miss Etienne? Hopefully not! I heard coach Juluke talked about the game slowing down for Treyaun. He is adapting to the speed of the game. The question mark on Treyaun, will he provide good pass protection?

15. doctorg8r

Dec 11, 2018
    Will Eugene Wilson have a better year? Billy Gonzalez is really excited about Trey. Gonzales says Burke is really coming on in practice, but will he translate that to the field? Billy said that he is confident that he can play Burke at any position. It's time for Burke to step up! Go Gators!