Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Murder of Jordan Neely on the Subway

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tampagtr, May 4, 2023.

1. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    yep. 1st & LC are my 2 favs. Combat Rock is better than I used to think it was. Have you heard this song? I wonder if Mick J. had when he wrote should I stay....

the podcast was Bandsplain with Yasi Salek. It was really good, but she typically has an expert guest. She had the main dude from Gaslight Anthem (I don't know much about them). Despite saying he was thrilled to be there & despite being a big clash fan, he sucked. He did not do his HW.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You don't get to kill people because they unnerve you. I give him no credit for committing a crime and taking a man's life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you're correct about that being an inspiration.

My daughter always presumed that must be my favorite Clash song due to the Spanish lyrics. I introduced her to Spanish Bombs as part of that conversation.

As far as Mick, my wife has now forbidden me to work some variation of "I can no longer shop happily" when we go grocery shopping together. I feel my age

• Like Like x 1
  4. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I once heard Lost in the Supermarket at a Whole Foods. Made me happy despite it being a kinda sad song. If I recall correctly the podcast addresses their thing for having some other languages in a song or two & it is pretty funny. I think for this they called someone's mom for the spanish part.

for the record I love Should I Stay & I also love Rock the Casbah

5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    That’s just it, we don’t know.

It is interesting that everyone there seemed to be in support of what he was doing while it was happening.

6. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    With it being New York, this doesn’t tell us anything either. Guy could be spazzing out and having a seizure or stabbed and bleeding out, and 90% of NY subway riders would still ignore him.

Unfortunately without video might be one of those cases where it’s “he said vs. dead guy who can’t speak for himself”. Although there should at least be plenty of witnesses. I don’t doubt this homeless guy was being a nuisance, but to justify murder he’d have to have been physically assaulting people.

7. ATLGATORFAN

ATLGATORFAN Premium Member

Aug 10, 2015
    It’s awful someone died as a result of this altercation. Unfortunately, in the absence of civil order and repeated offenders are continuously placed back out, the public will likely begin vigilantism. Sadly for both parties, one lost their life and the other with their whole life left, will be forever changed. The marine will likely face charges and be kicked out of the Corps, for doing what he thought was right and most likely had no intention of doing lasting harm or killing anyone that day. And for those that talk about “ The guy had skinny arms etc”, you are simply demonstrating your severe lack of knowledge of actual fighting, restraining etc. you don’t have to be The Rock to be able to inflict serious damage and most homeless carry weapons, even homemade ones to protect themselves against other homeless. Lastly there is almost nothing a marine learns in basic that would help him restrain someone in a way that is not dangerous to both of them.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't worry, a proper witness will be recruited. You'll get the evidence you'll need. It just takes time. Presuming everyone truly supported it, even until death, which is presumptuous, consider the linked photo in this tweet

9. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    1930 reference ?
    is your assertion that the DA in Manhattan and subway riders are closet klan?

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    When nobody is saying he physically attacked anybody and multiple people (who spoke in favor of the killer) are saying he didn't, that would seem to answer the question.

11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not sure everyone in the photo was. The crowd is the point. No, just people whose media consumption leads them to react to a perception of repeat offenders placed back in society and a breakdown in civil order, or something like that, and knowing that that standard will only be applied in a single direction, in terms of the perceived threat to civil order, which is defined in a very specific way

12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    It's hard to think of this as anything other than a modern day lynching TBH

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007

F
    eels like this story is relevant, doesn’t start on subways. All the problems of society get handed off to cops, the enforcers of the social order. You'll never guess the race of most of the children who end up cuffed!

NYC Schools Call 911 on Students in Distress Thousands of Times a Year — ProPublica

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    Certainly entitled to that opinion. Mine would be the marine felt compelled to get involved. Sadly typical of people that are not trained for the specific task, along with poor technical skills , adrenaline and ignorance as to the persons physical state he inadvertently ended a life. It’s a horrible end to the story, but it my opinion not a ‘lynching’

15. homer

homer GC Hall of Fame

Nov 2, 2015
    I guess everyone needs to start carrying a set of handcuffs to restrain bad guys until the authorities arrive?

Or zip ties.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  16. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I have seen videos where innocent people were actually being attacked and the attacker got choked out or knocked out. Here, I think the witnesses would have an incentive to justify their action or inaction, so I think we would have heard by now if Neely actually put his hands on someone or was lunging at someone creating an imminent risk of harm. I saw an article or two reporting that Neely was throwing things at people, but other articles I read didn't say that, so I'm not even sure if those reports were true.

17. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    or option C. Most level headed people with means just avoid the area(s) and unfortunately the only ones left are ones that cannot afford otherwise and the spiral Begins

18. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    It would be an improvement on everyone carrying guns around to pretend to be cops

19. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I apologize if this is redundant. I have little doubt that the guy had training in hand-to-hand combat and probably was aware that the choke hold could have been fatal. At a minimum he should be charged with voluntary manslaughter and most likely murder. Maybe it's just me I don't think the use of potentially deadly force is a justifiable response to verbal harassment from a mentally unstable homeless person.

20. ATLGATORFAN

Aug 10, 2015
    As stated in my initial post this Marine will likely face charges. But there is a leap to using ‘potentially deadly force’. A blood choke performed correctly is an easy way to subdue someone without much damage( see nate Diaz). He could have mauled the guy but instead performed the blood restriction maneuver like a pro and walked away in 8 seconds. Sadly this marine applied poor technique for too long. Alternative is lay one elbow across the guys jaw and knock him out. Then he's only guilty of a&b.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2