Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Monday Coach Napier presser [October 2, 2023]

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Mikog8tor, Oct 2, 2023.

1. HankTheMightyGator

HankTheMightyGator GC Hall of Famer

Apr 3, 2007
    Just want to point out in response to a few threads that Muschamp was only a bad hire in hindsight. At the time it was considered a major coup, as he was the “Head Coach-in-waiting” at Texas and had a reputation as an outstanding recruiter. Texas fans were practically apoplectic over letting him get away and there weren’t many who didn’t see him as a big get.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    funny how 20/20 hindsight makes a genius of us all

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The only way the coaching roulette is stopped is if we stop firing coaches after 2-3 years I' m good with seeing if he corrects his mistakes and if he keeps recruiting and also keeps upgrading staff. Stoops in year 11 and he hasnt won anything, yet maybe it was best KY kept him on

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    WTH?

• Like Like x 1
  5. atlmover

atlmover GC Legend

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess UF needs to decide if it's a football school dedicated to being a contender every year or just a school playing football that is happy to try and have winning seasons more often than not. I realize this sounds stupid but it's at the heart of the matter. I would argue UGA and Al from the top down are focused on the goal of TRYING to win it all every year (I am not sure UF is willing to play that game anymore)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. jmhawk88

jmhawk88 Junior

Oct 19, 2018
    Coach-speak like Napier’s drives me bananas. Every explanation for how bad things are going is rooted in super generic non-specifics. Saying things like “we need to coach better, execute better, take a look at things”…well no kidding. How about instead of boasting about GatorMade player development and being the best public university you focus on being a football coach, not some life mentor.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    The point is winning championships. No question Stoops has upgraded UK program but for all he has done in those years zero championships. Question is has he reached his ceiling?
    On the other hand UF has more than tasted championships and the fan base will not be happy until we have someone on board whom GN feels as if they can get us there. We have higher expectations. Right now as things stand, many Gators do not believe this coaching staff can get us there let alone have a winning season. But, if BN chooses to be the CEO of this program, hires an OC who specializes in a dynamic passing scheme and if BN hires a ST coach, then yes we have the makings of a championship program. This is what I believe most Gators want.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I may have not listen closely enough as I was eating my lunch they did he even mention the complete lack of effort

9. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    If he ever suggests our players become "Champions of Life" I'm heading for the hills.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    After the season? There’s no good coaches sitting on the couch.

11. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I can't stand athlete interviews or coach speak. Very few athletes or celebrities i ever listen to and one was spurrier because he didnt hold back or dummy it down. Handful of others over the years.

I watched the first few minutes and stopped after he mentioned the Tennessee game so I don't know what he said about effort.

From what I saw in the first half wasn't as much about effort as much as a loss of discipline. We had defenders getting to their spots but then overrun the play. We all saw Mitchell tackle the wrong guy in the pile when he had a clear shot at Davis early on. James and others were in position to make plays often they just didn't. Same with Marshall. I don't know what the problem was. I heard someone mention somewhere that the coaches don't want the players too emotional so they don't forget their assignments. If that's true (no idea) well then that's a problem. The converse of playing too emotional is overthinking. I'd rather coach a balance between playing with fire while internalizing the cerebral aspects.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    kelly said the same exact thing in his press conference. Thats why its called coach speak

13. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Going all in is relevant when you make the hire. When a program is down like we've been for the past 14 years, everyone needs to realize we've made so many mis-steps that a quick fix is not in the cards. Best course of action now, IMO is stay the course and see if CBN can get us headed in the right direction

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    Not to mention the increased buy outs for every new hire. Any guy coming in after a quick fire is going to want some guarantee. UF fires BN this year or next and the agent for the next guy is going to be licking his chops. You guys only gave the last guy two/three years to right the ship, your gonna have to pay up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Disagree from my perspective. I always thought Muschamp was a raving idiot poorly hired as a head coach. He substituted emotion for intelligence and had exactly zero understanding of offense or how to build a staff/program.

I really think Billy has that CEO piece and I think that matters more than just about anything long term. I do not read too much into press conferences - if he is unemotional he does not care but if he is agitated he is defensive. Or should he throw players/coaches under the bus?

BN clearly does not adapt as quickly as Meyer did (leak season) but that can be ok long term. He needs to start showing some flexibility/resilience on the field this year and put a much better product out next year (albeit tough schedule). In any event, long post to say that I think BN is far different from Muschamp in many important ways and the jury is still out on if he can build a staff that gets us over the hump.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    Mullen and Meyer are available.

I kid I kid

17. ThomasD89

ThomasD89 GC Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    No. Zook had multiple off the field issues of his own doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I don’t think napiers pregame speaches have any chance of getting the team over emotional. Maybe because he is a qb and thinks like a qb, he’s trying too hard to keep them calm and focused. That’s fine for some parts of the team but for the most part, tge cavemen need to pound the dirt and get ready to hurt people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Do you understand the concept of time for long pass plays to develop? Your top pass heavy OC would get Mertz killed in the first half of the first game

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    I think Napier is willing to run an offense that HE thinks will win the game. AR offense incorporated a lot more QB runs and read options. We threw the ball over 40 times against Utah and 20 in the first half of the Tennessee game. What is frustrating is his unwillingness to go against the plan when it’s not working. When you’re down 2 scores in the 4th quarter, you don’t run it down the middle on 3rd and long! There was no since of urgency. Last year the defense was the primary liability and we have a new, young and energetic coach! Hopefully the offense will be addressed this offseason.

• Like Like x 1