Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

MLB Post Season Thread

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Oct 7, 2023.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Agree completely. That’s how you build up the callus on the left side of your middle finger. Then soak it in pickle juice to keep it toughened.

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I am guessing your two seam finger snap was not like mine. Mine was index finger snapping down and right. Yours must have been totally different.

I would have gotten that callus throwing cutters.

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

That side gave me sink down and in on a RHH or away on a LHH-I was turning my wrist over at snap. IMHO today’s cutter is the true ol’school slider.

4. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Just watched game 5 of Astros/Rangers. Awesome finish.
    Rangers took a 4-2 lead on a 3 run Garcia hr in the 6th off Verlander. Garcia then got beaned in the 8th, couple of Astros tossed out including Dusty. Ranger fans went crazy, thinking they're going to the WS.
    Then Altuve hits a 3 run HR in the 9th to put Houston back up 5-4. Two on, no out in the 9th for Texas and Pressley shuts the door for Houston. Great relief pitching.

Altuve is Mr Clutch for the Stros. For a 5'6" guy, dude has quick hands and amazing power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dallasgatr

dallasgatr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Altuve should be a no doubt first ballot Hall of Famer!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    He is really good but not Joe Morgan good.

Would not be surprised to see a HOF in his future but maybe not first ballot. Some voters might ding him for being a part of the trash can banging/sign stealing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    St. Augustine, FLA
    Last night is the reason why the series after the wild card series needs to go from 5 game series to 7 game series. If the Arizona vs Phillies series was 5 games then Phillies would have obviously won the series by now. I’m not saying the dodgers or braves or orioles would have won if the games were 7 game series but it certainly would have given opportunities for coming back just like what Arizona did winning last two games on the road.

8. TheBoss

TheBoss Premium Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Gainesville
    Good point about the quality of competition in a longer series. but the WS will run well into November already. On the one hand, the more baseball games that are played makes my soul feel better, but November night games in the NE or in the Great Lakes states, even StL or KC, can be bad for the games. They prob should start the season a week earlier.

9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    When I was a kid all World Series games were day games. Too much money now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Not the World Series I was expecting. I thought it would be Braves versus Orioles.

So much for the best teams over the season being in the World Series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am a little conflicted as I wanted Wyatt to lead us to our first world series title, but screw it, Go Rangers!

• Like Like x 1
  12. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Former Gator gymnast Amanda Cheney is married to Pavin Smith of the Diamondbacks.

13. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I've been an Astros fan since they first started as the Colt '45's. I had a transistor radio I put under my pillow at night and could pick up their broadcasts via a station out of Shreveport, LA. Caesar Cedeno was my favorite player, but I loved J.R. Richard's pitching. Dominant until a stroke cut him down at the height of his career. Larry Dierker, Mike Cuellar, Rusty Staub, Joe Morgan, Doug Rader, Roger Metzger, Jimmy Wynn, Jose Cruz, Don Wilson, Mike Scott, Terry Puhl, Joe Niekro are some of the old timers I remember. Lots of excellent players over the years, but they just could never break through to reach the World Series until 2005. The last 7 years they've been the most consistent team in MLB. I hated the cheating scandal, but been such a lifelong fan I've just stuck with 'em. Now that Texas knocked them out, I really don't care about the World Series. I would watch if the Rays were in it and may watch a couple of games, but will probably defer to football instead.

14. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Oh, those transistor radios. I was standing in front of my high school listening when Bill Mazeroski hit the home run to beat the Yankees.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    My wife was raised in Pittsburgh. Her 4th grade teacher at Newmyer Elementary was Dick Groats sister. She is still a big Pirate fan. Lordy , talk about long suffering fans.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I used to listen to those games too: probably on the same station. I was raised in Inverness and in the 50’s and 60’s you got your sports broadcasts where you could.
    Bob Aspromonte was one of my favorite players.

17. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I grew up in Bushnell. Hello neighbor!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I played football, Basketball and baseball against Dale Swain, Larry Storey, Johnny Dixon (?) Corky Prevatt, Stanly Renkewicz, etc. Swain and Storey only ones I remember playing two sports. Long time ago.

19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    You must be a little older than me. All these guys graduated in the 1963-1966 range I think. I graduated in '69.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Speaking about transistor radios under the pillow last night I went off to bed after eight innings. My dog got me up at 6:15 AM to go out and when I get up I hardly ever go back to sleep so I was dragging. But I turned the game on the bedroom TV and drifted in and out and kind of followed the game.

I missed the walk off homer but I was aware of Texas being at bat, drifted off to sleep and then came to enough to know the game was over. I figured that the Rangers won it somehow. My wife and son filled me in.