Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

MLB DL question..?..

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by jhfxof, Oct 3, 2022.

1. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    why do you put a player on 15+ day DL w/ 3 games left??

My first thought was to be able to call up another, but wouldnt the 7 day suffice. So has to be other reason(s)

Figure someone here may know, before I have to go reading and stuff..;)

2. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    I don’t know but DL’s can be back dated. So if the team made the start date far enough back it could exceed the 7 day and save them money. I am assuming insurance covers some of the DL cost, no? September already has expanded rosters so it shouldn’t matter from that standpoint.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jhfxof

jhfxof GC Hall of Fame

Apr 21, 2007
    Sounds good. figured something to do w/ $$. And yeah on expanded rosters, but capped at 28 starting this year.

Yanks put Britton on 60 day w/ 4 games left, and today Os put closer on 15 day w/ 3 left. Just got me wondering the benefits and rules on it.. Like why 60 instead of 15 and v/v.

4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    It is possible it also factors into overall roster salary. The Dodgers are supposed to be in the $310s or so but instead are something like $280M (still highest in the league but only marginally higher than the Mets I think). This is because Trevor Bauer’s salary isn’t counted.

That is relevant for the luxury tax. DL might play into that as well. Not sure on some of the finer calculations.

• Like Like x 1