Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Military Draft - How is the Sexist Nature of it even legal?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by louisianagatormom, Jun 15, 2024.

1. louisianagatormom

louisianagatormom Junior

May 31, 2024
    Not big news as the military draft was already required for Men ages 18 - 24 but now it's been expanded to Men 18 - 26 and is now automatic. That tells me they are preparing for something and not another Cold War.

House passes defense bill automatically registering men 18-26 for draft

I hope this might be one topic that isn't 100% political. How is this even legal? As typical for this topic not a peep from the feminists groups. Even as a woman I'm ashamed of this. Women expect to be treated as equal but will not take the negatives along with the positives. Women want the positives of equal pay and being treated as equals of society, which I think should happen, but do not want the ultimate responsibility of potentially being draft to die for the Country.

Sure the draft hasn't been instituted in over 50 years, but the very concept of it being Men only is pathetic. I'll make it clear, Women can not be expected to be treated truly as equals to Men until Women are expected, if necessary, to make the ultimate sacrifice for the Country.

Israel has already shown that all female units can be effective and that women can service in the Armed Forces, including in combat roles. And many Women here in the U.S. have proven the same thing. But military service should not be mandatory for Men when it is optional for Women. The old argument might have been you needed the Women at home to pump out babies, which in and of itself is sexist thinking, but the reality now is a lot of Women won't even have babies during their life, so that argument no longer holds water.

I'm not in favor of a draft in general. But if I was a Man and a draft was instituted I would refuse simply on this basis and would sue the Federal Government for a sexist policy. How this isn't being challenged I have no clue. But even as a Woman I would say Men should refuse any type of draft or potentially even voluntary military service until the sexist nature of the law is changed.

I personally think mandatory military service from 18 - 20, for Men and Women, would be beneficial to all of them as individuals and to the country as a whole. But in the very least the Military Draft should be 18 - 26, Men and Women, simple as that.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. neutrino_boi

neutrino_boi All American

Feb 1, 2020
    It's legal (IANAL!) because the Equal Rights Amendment didn't get ratified. Here's the version that didn't quite make it:

"Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

"Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

"Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification."

Phyllis Schlafly pointed out that equality would have some disadvantages for women -- the draft among the top few -- and some women preferred their 1950-ish role to (edit: equality). That changed history. Of course, even if the ERA had been ratified, there's no guarantee the US Federal Courts, including USSC, would have also interpreted it as a de facto Equal Responsibilities Amendment. For example: whether or not Title IX is "symmetric" is still a function of who the president is and which appellate circuit a college is in.

The ERA-mk-2 proposed by representative Maloney (dem/f) and Reed (rep/m) -- both of NY -- might play out differently.

"Section 1. Women shall have equal rights in the United States and every place subject to its jurisdiction. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

"Section 2. Congress and the several States shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

"Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification."

--

Gender: I'm fully in favor of gender-equality (not "equity") as far as biology allows & that we should try to pursue opportunities to cancel-out biological advantages when we can. Heck, I posted a thread about trading off "free" menstrual products in schools for bigger "free" lunch portions for boys. I also think that if US health plans must cover birth control, they should be required to offer men a reasonable supply of condoms & that paid maternity leave should come via delaying social security benefits (because women live longer, their expected ROI of SS contributions is higher than men). Again -- equality, not equity.

Draft: We shouldn't have a draft at all. The US military offers enough opportunities that we should be able to incent young people to enlist by economic/career-advancement benefits alone. I teach engineering here at UF -- the Navy needs lots of junior nuke (propulsion, not bombs) officers and has created NUPOC for that. If you want talent, pay for it -- the US beat the USSR because capitalism is better, no?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Not sure a draft is relevant but I get being prepared. When is the next war we’d have that would require massive amateur infantry? I can’t think of any scenarios.

As to the OP a Draft assumes war time emergency. Having the gender that commits 90% of murders and violent crime do war seems like a correct use of resources.

4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Can you get a daft in a Bottle

5. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    OP still pretending to be his mom. Sad & pathetic.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Who cares, bill is DOA on the Senate floor because Republi-ban cannot help themselves. Amendments about abortion, trans healthcare and others assure that Schumer will never even discuss the bill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    OP's greatest concern if he/she were to ever serve in the military definitely should be "friendly fire."

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Men still have to register for the draft, right? This would just make it automatic

9. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    OP is the equivalent of a male lion that couldn’t take down a three legged wildebeest.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Maybe it's just a coincidence that OP's mom has the exact same talking points about women and equality.

[​IMG]

11. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Which makes me care about this clause even less. That said, if people are "auto populated" in a "Draft Database" we will have no idea what "additional personal information" will now be attached to Selective Service records. Guessing that we see even more dirt poor, black and/or Hispanic names "randomly selected" than ever before should the need arise.

On a side note, at least one general sounded the alarm to congress two weeks ago that the Army and some of the other military branches have so badly missed their recruitment numbers the past 3 years, that Congress may need to consider enacting a mandatory 2 year military service for all males of selective service years. Wonder how many wealthy and middle class will be "exempted for reasons" from that kind of a law as well???

12. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Does that make the OP "Trans-message"? Identifying on the boards as both male and female??

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    Women identifying as men will be required to sign up even if they switch back before they’re 26. Yeah!! Yeahhhh!!!

14. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I didn't rate the post since there I wasn't sure whether to it as "Funny" or "Come On Man" since there isn't an alternative rating of "Completely Unhinged".

15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm not sure what I think about the draft right now. I know when I was younger, I thought it was a valid thing. Even a mandatory service for everyone. It'd be a mess now ...

16. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I actually don't read their posts, I just come by to watch everyone make fun of the OP.

17. G8tas

G8tas GC Hall of Fame

Sep 22, 2008
    OP is pretending to be a woman all while standing against the Pride movement. How strange

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Womens belong in the kitchen.
    God gave them shorter feet so that they can stand closer to the stove.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. louisianagatormom

louisianagatormom Junior

May 31, 2024
    While many here haven't bothered to read my original post, I re-emphasize that I'm also not for a draft. I think it's unnecessary (as technology has largely made large Armies obsolete) and would hurt the military more than it would help. I also agree that it would be an absolute mess. There would be lawsuits all over the place and to be honest I can't blame it.

Again the argument isn't about the draft itself and whether it would happen. The argument is that men are forced to be enrolled in the military draft while women are not. In a society where Women lash out against any inequality, this is really one of the last major, government sponsored, forms of inequality.

Women are already in combat roles and have shown with the right training and fitness can be effective in the U.S. Combine that with the fact that a lot of women in the U.S., perhaps a majority, will never even have kids, and there's no reason women should not be included in a military draft as well.

If we expect our sons to make the ultimate sacrifice for the U.S., it is more than reasonable to expect our daughters to make that same sacrifice.

20. louisianagatormom

louisianagatormom Junior

May 31, 2024
    And yet overwhelmingly it's been white men from conservative rural areas that have disproportionately given their lives in defense of the U.S. Go back and look at World War II, Korea and Vietnam, almost all white men.

I do agree that those Men 18 - 26 who are part of wealthy families or connected political will somehow get lucky and not be selected or get some sort of waiver. The impact would be more by class than by race. The draft would absolutely target poor and working class Americans.

One of the reasons I think this is coming up is because military enrollment has tanked ever since the Pandemic. Whether you all want to admit it or not I think hatred of Straight White Conservative Christian Men is a big cause of that. Whether you like it or not Conservative areas of the country are still much more likely to have their Men sign up for the military.

It's almost like Straight White Conservative Christian Men have seen that the country hates them and decided "screw that, I'm not defending a country that hates me". Why would Straight White Conservative Christian Men sign up to defend a country that hates them, especially in Ukraine or Israel? I know this, if my son was not in his condition and still of military age, no way in h*ll would I allow him to fight for this corrupt Government in a war we have no business being in. I'd give him my life savings to get out of the Country and restart his life somewhere else before I would do that.

And I think there's a lot of Straight White Conservative Christian Men making the same decision across the country.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1