Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Migrants Given $5,000 Gift Cards After Crossing Border: Arizona Sheriff

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Dec 8, 2023.

1. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Considering that you apparently also believe the defeated indicted former president why am I not surprised? Along the same lines considering that Trump carried Pinal County in the 2020 election by a margin of almost 18% a large percentage of the electorate in that county is easily persuadable by a demagogic politician who effectively utilizes false narratives. The sheriff is simply following the same playbook.

2. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm kind of shocked that merchants haven't caught on to this. You'd think that a family of four immigrants, with $20,000 in gift cards they can spend on anything, would be ready to spend some money. Merchants should be opening stores left and right at the border to take some of that newfound wealth.
    How could they have missed this?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  3. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am frantically opening my new chain there for this very purpose. Wall Mart. It will be one continuous 2000 mile long building, with entrance doors on the Mexico side every mile or so. Come in, get your GC, mill around and shop while you wait to hear your name announced and can go out on the other side. Probably takes about $5000 I mean three hours or so.

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Maybe this was to try to get them to go back to where they were coming from

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Naahhhh, Officer Frank would NEVER allow it!

6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    upload_2023-12-8_13-37-47.jpeg

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Lol right

8. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    So, millions of dollars of gift cards handed out at the border by the government would leave zero trail? Both on the government side for procurement, and on the business side as immigrants are spending their newfound wealth? It all just magically appears, and then magically disappears into the ether without a trace? If you believe this, I have some beautiful, oceanfront property in Arizona, and a similar parcel in Montana you might be interested in!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Once again the belief that migrants especially undocumented immigrants are given gift cards demonstrates the gullibility of MAGA nation.
    Right-wing media outlets resurface long-debunked myth that all migrants get $5,000 debit cards from the government
    Contrary to Lamb’s assertion, Newsweek reported that there “does not appear to be any U.S. government program that gives undocumented migrants $5,000 gift cards.” Pablo De La Rosa, a freelance border reporter with NPR and Texas Public Radio, wrote that Lamb’s claim “isn’t true.”

Although versions of this myth have circulated for years, Lamb — a far-right figure who has appeared on QAnon shows and pushed election denialist conspiracy theories — appears to be channeling misinformation produced by anti-migrant propagandist Todd Bensman in early September. Bensman, a senior fellow at nativist think tank the Center for Immigration Studies, incorrectly asserted that all migrants crossing the border were getting $2,200 monthly cost of living checks courtesy of the Biden administration and their NGO partners, based on a single interview with a Border Patrol agent. He further claimed that parents coming over the border would divide their children and apply for these cards as separate families, thus further gaming the system.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. GratefulGator

GratefulGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2016
    Boulder Colorado
    Imma call bullshite on the Sherriff and his claim.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1