Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Migrants Given $5,000 Gift Cards After Crossing Border: Arizona Sheriff

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Dec 8, 2023.

1. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I put this in the same category as litter boxes in the classroom; irrefutably true if you want it to be.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    That's how I know this story isnt true, the migrants weren't issued litter boxes, voter registrations and gender affirming care vouchers

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  3. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Must have been a good jobs report to get this kind of made up story posted this morning. lol

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I've already seen someone else post it as fact on Facebook. Is anything more damaging to our country and our democracy than this kind of misinformation and the fact that people believe it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Idiocracy is here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    I have no reason to believe the gift card deal is real or not. But considering that Trump is sold out to the Russians, he likes to be peed on, the laptop is fake, Marl-ago is worth $18,000,000, the border is secure, the withdraw from Afghanistan was successful, Ole Joe never talked to HB about any of his business, there is no money going to the Wuhan institute, mask are effective, masks are ineffective, gain of function research is not going on, the economy is great does anyone possibly believe that our government wouldn't do this?

7. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I suspect the OP knows this story is fake as does your facebook friend. I mean, no one can really be that.... disconnected from reality, right?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  8. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I dont really understand the logic of "people have made outrageous or false claims" in the past = the government must be doing something because a person made an outrageous claim. If you view all those things as proof partisans or government lie, why would you believe a literal partisan government official who is making this claim? I'm sure it makes sense to you though. Seems like all the things you said should make you more skeptical not credulous.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I take back my previous post.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Well, they never say they outright believe it. They just hedge on "well you have to admit it seems possible given (x)"

11. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    I guess missed where anyone other than Customs and Border official said that nothing like this was from his agency. Still no proof it is happening, just would be surprised if some other agency was doing it.

12. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Lol. I was just about to reply “look one post up”.

13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Well I mean it is happening in some sense, you have red state governors promising people stuff to get them on flights to drop them off in various locales as political stunts, all on the public's dime.

14. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    If you really believe immigrants are getting $5k cards, why don't you go into Mexico, and cross back over yourself and grab one! Heck, I hear there's a 5* restaurant in Lukeville, AZ that gives you 10% off if you pay by government issued gift card. It's Mexican/Asian fusion called El Panilo Wok. The Asian part comes from a good deal they restaurant got from leftover 2020 Maricopa County ballots imported from Asia that they used for their menus. If you look close enough, you can still see all the areas filled in for Biden! Oh, and all the bathrooms are unisex, and each stall contains a large litter box just for furries to use!

Now, back to reality. If hundreds of immigrants were each getting $5k gift cards, there would be some sort of money trail. Millions of dollars in gift card form don't just magically appear. Not to mention, there is zero evidence of a single immigrant using these magical gift cards to pay for anything in any border town. Which is strange, because one would think these immigrants would be happy to use it it immediately.

Oh, if you think Mexican/Asian fusion food sounds interesting, if you're ever in Phoenix, check out Chino Bandido. It's been featured by Guy Fieri on DDD, and it's fantastic.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Anyways, just another example of our "vibes" based politics, where reality is just simply what feels true

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m just here to congratulate the OP on creating a thread with a complete title.

• Funny Funny x 7
  18. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    No. Not even the first syllable of this ridiculous claim.

19. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta VIP Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Gallatin, TN
    I did a little bit of digging around. This claim specifically does not come up until this Sheriff makes it. It's probably from a bunch of misinformation from many sources, including Tucker Carlson. Do some immigrants get money? Yes, however, its only specifically qualified families who have proper documentation and are trying to come legally. They aren't giving away 5k credit cards to anyone crossing the border, especially when its done illegally nor do assylum seekers qualify.

Now I didnt do a deep dive so I could be a little off but typically if you search a claim and google information BEFORE the claim was made, you can see how legit it is or isn't.

Here is an older article talking about giving properly documented, legally migrating immigrants money but not 5k at any one time from anything I've been able to dig up.
    No, migrants do not receive $2,200 each month from the federal government

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  20. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I heard they are getting tickets to Taylor Swift which is even more outrageous.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1