Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Migrants Given $5,000 Gift Cards After Crossing Border: Arizona Sheriff

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by flgator2, Dec 8, 2023.

1. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Migrants Given $5,000 Gift Cards After Crossing Border: Arizona Sheriff (newsweek.com)

Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb made the claim this week in a video shared to his Senate campaign account on X, formerly Twitter. Lamb said that "our government" was handing the migrants gift cards, cell phones and airline tickets to any domestic destination after entering the country.

"When these folks come across and they're processed, they're being given a cell phone, a plane ticket to anywhere they want to go in this country—so, probably to a community near you—and a $5,000 Visa card," Lamb says in the video.

"So, while this Christmas season you're struggling to keep your lights on, while you're struggling to pay your rent, put Christmas presents under the tree for your kids, we have our government giving people who came into this country illegally $5,000 gift cards," he added. "That's the truth, folks."

Wow how pathetic that our government hasn't solved our homeless crisis but continues to cause another by giving to illegal immigrants. This is what happens when the wackos on the left stay in power.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Damn, must be true, a politician running for office would never lie

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Tjgators

Tjgators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You must live underground.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    From the same article in the OP:

There does not appear to be any U.S. government program that gives undocumented migrants $5,000 gift cards. A spokesperson for U.S. Customs and Border Protection told Newsweek via phone on Thursday that no gift cards came from the agency.

Newsweek reached out for comment to the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement via email on Thursday.

According to right-wing newspaper The Epoch Times, Lamb heard about the supposed gift card exchange from "close sources" at the border, telling the outlet that he was "absolutely in shock when these agents came forward" with the news.
    So while the story was reported in Newsweek, the claim is still from a "close source" first reported in the Epoch Times. And there isn't a single shred of hard evidence, to date, any program like this v exists.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Proof or link? Anything besides this one guy running for office who heard it from someone?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Actually, this does exist. It's part of the DeSantis Airlines "Bringing The Border To You" program. How else do you lure migrants onto a plane?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    And you believe this because a politician said it?

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Yes, I believe the sheriff, and this seems like some idiotic thing our government would do. You don't believe him?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    I've got some magic beans if you're interested, just DM me your bank account # and password

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    The "I don't trust the govt/DOJ/FBI" crowd is also like "I blindly trust this guy" cause he says stuff I like.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    P.S. I'm an undercover constitutional sheriff, posing as a radical commie so you can believe me

13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Last I checked cops were the government so ... must make a persons head hurt

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    No

15. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The most worrisome part is the pure volume of statements this guy makes that don't conclude with "That's the truth." Without that clarifier, it is impossible to conclude that any statement without it is true. The vast majority of things he says don't have that assurance, so now I'm not even too sure about the "That's the truth" statements, TBH.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    Why

17. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    And think about it - he likes it because it says something really bad about our govt.

18. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Show me a gift card with a balance of over $3,000 in the hands of an immigrant. Or how about an invoice or P.O.? $5,000 gift cards don't magically appear out of thin air. Someone or some group has to fund them. Show me proof that someone spent $1 million on 200 gift cards at $5k each at least once. And better yet, more than once, since 200 wouldn't cover a day's worth of entries.

Until then, no, I don't believe the Pinal County Sheriff relying on an unnamed source quoted in the Epoch Times.

19. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    @AzCatFan I bet you're one those who handed them out

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Then I'd have my proof, wouldn't I? But I don't. Neither do you. And I'm not gullible enough to believe everything I hear because I want it to be true. Millions of dollars in the hands of newly arrived immigrants world leave some sort of trail. Or do these cards just magically appear and then dissappear with the migrants?

• Agree Agree x 1