Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Migrants Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatoragman, Feb 5, 2024.

1. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    So?

Instead of bringing migrant mothers boxes of formula they are giving them a way to get it themselves. It will save the city money. Are you concerned that migrant babies shouldnt have a way to get formula?

From your link:
    City Hall calls the program a "more cost-effective technology pilot program to distribute pre-paid immediate response cards to asylum seekers to purchase food and baby supplies in lieu of the city's current system of providing non-perishable food boxes to migrant families"

Officials say it will save the city $7.2 million a year.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Hmmmm….for a couple of hundred years immigrants came to the USA and survived without Credit Cards being provided free by the Gov’t. Why now?

The biggest question: are the Travel points retroactive?

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    I am saying we discussed that the US was giving pre-paid credit cards to migrants, and we got laughed off the board. It appears it is true. I'm also sure that these cards will only be used for what they were designed to be used for. Kinda just like the EBT card, no abuse there!!
    I don't want any kid to go hungry but why are we giving these items to migrants anyhow? I thought they were seeking the American dream and prosperity? They should purchase their own?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  6. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Unless you live in NYC and pay taxes there you are not giving shit to anyone. Who is this "we" crap? Also... "I dont want any kid to go hungry but" what is with the but. That's obscene.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    Not worshiping orange man!! Considering the text just came out on the bill yesterday, I will reserve my judgement of bill until I have an opportunity to digest it. From what I have seen so far, there is some troubling aspects to it already. Such as the 5000 per day limit, just a few short years ago it was considered that 2-3000 a day was a crisis. That's my first concern, the second is the President has the authority to cancel these limits as he desires, problem 2. And just started with the actual text, not the leaked speculations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Big difference: because of a lack of stupid immigration laws for most of that time, immigrants were allowed to work immediately upon entry. That is because, for most of that time, we had what Republicans would decry as open borders. You showed up, wrote your name down, were tested for a couple of diseases, made sure you had enough money for a week's lodging, and were sent on your way. We could return to that system (or a modernized version of it) anytime we wish.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    The 5000 limit is the hard limit. It doesn’t keep the president from acting sooner.

So you are willing to reject the good because it isn’t perfect? Even Lindsay Graham said this bill is better than anything they could get with Trump in the office without Democratic support.

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The thread that was laughed at was a claim migrants were receiving $5,000 gift cards at the border upon entrance. This is a much smaller amount, and limited to those in New York. And it replaces a program where these migrants were getting fed, with the card program being more efficient. Hence the $7 million in savings. What's the problem here?

New York was already feeding these needy immigrants. They are now doing it in a more efficient manner and saving money. Is the problem these immigrants, including children, are getting fed?

And I agree that if we had instant work permits, that would help. Allow these people to work and feed themselves. But it's several months before an asylum seeker is legally allowed to work.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Previously, it had been said by sovereign sherrifs or whatever the heck they are, that $5,000 cards were being handed out at the border. This was laughed at and proved to be false.

This card that you are now discussing is an entirely different animal.

You can't conflate the two and claim that the Texas sherrif is now proven right.

EDIT: What AzCat said.

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    1. I'd be curious to read that earlier discussion if you can find it.
    2. Also note that your earlier claim was apparently that the US govt was giving credit cards to migrants. This story is about the city of New York just starting a program to do it. That doesn't mean the feds were already doing it. (Maybe they were, I don't know.)

13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not just Lindsay Graham, also James Lankford, one of the most conservative members of the Senate, and even Mitch McConnell.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    I looked and couldn't find, that is why I started a new thread.

15. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    thanks. I didn't see it either.
    but do you acknowledge that NYC starting a program doesn't mean the federal govt was already doing it?

16. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    So do you really think this administration may act before the number gets to 5000? I would more assume they will eliminate the limit and go back to what we have now.

17. gator95

gator95 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Again, Biden doesn't need anyone to pass a bill for him to help alleviate the immigration crisis. You know this but don't seem to care. Interesting...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gatoragman

Jan 4, 2008
    Oh yes, I think the previous was a sheriff from a border town and was really just speculation. Well, here we are now, it is happening. And to think NY is paying today, how long will that last before the feds need to bail them out?

19. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Where does Biden, or any POTUS, get the money to enact what Biden wants to do, which is add more Border Patrol and asylum judges?

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007

Here it is. And his claim was false. That's probably why it was criticized.

Migrants Given $5,000 Gift Cards After Crossing Border: Arizona Sheriff

• Informative Informative x 2