Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Miami Heat in NBA finals again

Discussion in 'Nuttin but Net' started by gtr2x, May 30, 2023.

1. irenneclingerman

irenneclingerman Freshman

May 12, 2023
    This is not surprising.

2. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I don’t know about that. The projections going into the playoffs didn’t have the Heat favored to get this far. The Yannis injury certainly played a major roll in the Heat getting by the Bucks, but Miami also played well in that series.

On paper, the Celtics were better ( 2-seed in the East, younger, taller, 2 of the younger stars) & at least I thought it at the time, a deeper bench.

The Heat have just gotten the most out of who’s left to play on their roster, guys you never heard of have stepped up.

No one would have picked Caleb Martin to have the impact he had, for the Celtic series. Maybe a game here or there, but his consistency was surprising.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Caleb Martin was the MVP for the Heat. Well, maybe he should share that with Jaylen Brown who was awful for the celtics.

Refs certainly didn't influence the outcome because Boston simply had no answer for Martin and company and they couldn't make shots but the travel call on white followed by the no travel call on butler was around the point on turned the game off. It was clear the celtics werent going to close the gap after they had several opportunities to do so when they got within 6 to 8. They panicked in my opinion and rushed shots. I do wish NBA reffing would try to find some level of consistency on calls.

I have no dog in the fight as I grew up a bulls fan fyi.

• Like Like x 1
  4. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    The only concern with guys like Martin, Vincent etc playing so well and hitting shots is you fear at some point they’ll come crashing back down to Earth. Martin is a guy who was in a bad shooting slump going into the playoffs and is on a hot streak, law of averages says he’ll cool off. Good thing is when one guy cools off, another player gets hot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Miami sure made a great story and show why playing the game is more important than the seed and all of the yap surrounding that. Nevertheless, I've got no reason to root against Denver. Go Nuggets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. chargator

chargator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Agreed, the “ coming down to earth “ or as one commentator referred to, “ turn back into a pumpkin “, is one of the fun things to follow. At this point for Miami, I’m getting to know the names of guys on their roster you’ve never heard of, because they are making plays & positively impacting the games.

While I’m happy for UD, I don’t really have a dog in this fight. So I like all the little “ details “ , that will have an impact, quarter-to-quarter & game-to-game.

EDIT: coaching still matters, especially in this final

Last edited: May 31, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    More like 70s. But I grew up loving them and they'll always have a place in my heart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ha - typos - hit the 9 instead of the 0 right next to it — TWICE!

Edit: corrected

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Tatum was just fine for the other 3 losses and even hurt he played over 40 min, scoring 14 points, but I get it ur not a fan. Celts lost by 19, not close.
    Sorry for Horford, but never Celtic fans.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s not about being a fan or not. Celtics won 3. I believe Denver is going to be way to much. Not a Denver fan either. Care to wager?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Unfortunately, Boston needed 4. Denver will most likely win since they’re heavy favorites and have the best player on the court, the Heat have already overachieved are playing with house money.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The team actually improved and played better D after Tyler’s injury. Tyler does not play strong D and not a big pass/assist guy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Downplaying a team's win speaks for itself.

Haven't watched enough of Denver this year to bet, but no doubt Miami will be the underdog......again.

14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Miami has outdone themselves. Jimmy Butler has been amazing and the undrafted guys have really shown out. I was actually hoping they made it. I’d be fine with them winning but I don’t see it. They made it from an 8 seed and Denver is just good.

15. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I like the depth on both teams. That’s why they are both in the finals. They get big production 3-8. But Jokic is really good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hero is a liability besides scoring. I think the other guys have done better. Maybe you believe Miami has a chance but I do not.

17. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I’m not going to say that I think Miami is going to win. All objective analysis points to Denver winning easy.

However, Miami walked over the best team in the East, handled the 5th seed, and beat the East’s second seed. Objectively, Milwaukee and Boston have more star power and better size and better depth than Miami. But, Miami still won.

Again, the analytics point to Denver. Just like they did for Milwaukee and Boston. But I think it would be dismissive, at this point, to give Miami no chance.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Milwaukee without however you spell it, a five seed, and a Boston team tgat just isn’t ever going to win, and just maybe Tatum could have won game seven. Boston isn’t an nba championship team unless it’s a very weak final. There’s a reason the heat are there but in my mind, I can’t decide if we will see a game six. Just how I see it.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Was watching Gator baseball, but I just watched highlights of gm 2. Heat rally in 4th qtr and survive a late Denver rally to even series after being dominated in gm 1. Back to Miami for gm 3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    After watching both games in the NBA finals, the Heat need to be great shooting (high percentage) the 3 pointer to win games against the Nuggets.