Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Max Brown, Kamari Wilson, Will Norman reported to be headed to the transfer portal

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GatorRider, Nov 29, 2023.

1. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Dude... You'd be the first to start whining about why did we put in Max Brown when we are in a tight game if it wasn't successful.

It is a constant, why are we going for it on 4th down? Oh we made it nevermind great call. But if we don't it is the worst play ever and we should have run a jet sweep.

So exactly when in the LSU game would you have put him in? What would you have run? What about Arkansas? I'll tell you this, I'd much rather have the ball in Mertz hands all game long than his.

Do you actually remember what happened on his first series against against Missouri? You would have thought that would have been a hanging offense against Arkansas.

Get some perspective. Grow up and learn that the answer to everything is not "we should have done xyz". When xyz is pulling a kid with no real game experience off the bench in the middle of a tight game.

A change up is planned. It is something you've worked on for the game. Stop with the fantasy that you can magically throw some player in to do some miracle when there no basis to think that

Sheesh.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. touchdownmaker

touchdownmaker Freshman

Sep 4, 2019
    So...let's say this season played out almost exactly the way it did except that the Gators hold on for the win against Missouri - thus making us bowl eligible. And if we also assume that Brown still decides to transfer, then who would be starting for the hypothetical bowl game? I am assuming that such a bowl game would be an even bigger debacle than our showing last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    For those of us who spent a career learning and teaching leadership, we know it is made.

What does swag have to do with leadership? Danny didn't have swag, either.

The entire 2006 team differs with you. They ALL said it was Chris's team. Were you even around then?

What a laugh. Several from the high school All-America team followed Chris. They all said so. You must be young.

You know this how?

You don't know that, and as a career Army officer, I don't need to be lectured as to how leaders are made, rather than born.

Nope. I'm a realist, and endured too many optimists.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I think he’d play the bowl game.

5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Obviously you are reacting to the temperament of this forum and the folks who post here. I stand exactly with what I have said over the entire season and I do NOT change directions based on the immediate results. You are apparently reacting to my post here in isolation. Okay, fine by me. I don't expect you or others to go back and peruse my previous posts. However, those who read them and are interested in my ongoing takes about the "state-of-the-program" then this is a piece of the total. And yes, I can see where my "doctoral dissertations" are an acquired taste.

Let's end this now. It isn't leading to anything constructive.

6. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    @eightiesgator

For those of us who spent a career learning and teaching leadership, we know it is made.

If you’re talking about your army career teaching leadership, that’s not the leadership I’m talking about. In your leadership position, those beneath you have no choice but to listen and obey. This is college football, and these players don’t follow someone as their leader because they are required to.

Also, if you take about 3 seconds, you could see how long I’ve been a member of GC and how old I am. I never said there are absolute’s and there are always outliers and yes leadership can be taught in a classroom but that is not the leadership I’m talking about which is earned on the football field and in the locker room. Some/few are naturally born with leadership in their DNA and others have it because it’s demanded of them in the position they hold. They are both in leadership, but different. Tebow wasn’t taught how to be a leader, neither is Lagway, it’s in their DNA. You can’t teach that leadership trait. It’s just there. I was at the games with Leak and Siler and Siler was the alpha and leader of that team not Leak. This is not debatable. If you are comparing the type of leadership that is demanded versus earned, I can see your perspective, but that’s not what we’re talking about with football.

What does swag have to do with leadership? Danny didn't have swag, either.

Very true, but I’m not comparing Lagway to Danny. 2 completely different types of leaders. Danny was not vocal or an even natural born leader but he earned it by his play on the field. I was at the 96 Championship game and watched the comeback win at KY as a freshman. Tebow had swag/moxy, was verbal with crazy high school hype and I’m comparing Lagway to Tim Tebow, mainly their leadership and why I’m hopeful for the QB position for UF.

The entire 2006 team differs with you. They ALL said it was Chris's team. Were you even around then?

Go watch the Swamp Kings documentary. Then come back and post Chris Leak was the leader of the 2006 team . This is blasphemy. Lol. Brandon Siler was the alpha of that team. Not even close.

What a laugh. Several from the high school All-America team followed Chris. They all said so. You must be young.

Straw man argument. 2003 was a very good class and Zook could recruit. Well documented Zook was an elite recruiter.

You know this how?

I’ve been following recruiting years. I don’t even know if this is a serious question or not. GCMB is not the best initial source for recruiting. Twitter/X & IG are. This is how I know what the recruits think about Lagway.

You don't know that, and as a career Army officer, I don't need to be lectured as to how leaders are made, rather than born.

Thanks for your service. You should know as an army officer some who are under your direction just aren’t leaders naturally. You can train anyone to be a leader where the people they are leading are 100% under their authority. The people under Military leadership are bound and required to do exactly what they are told. If that’s your definition of leadership, then yes, you can train and teach anyone to be that type of leader. We aren’t talking about the same type of leadership if you’re comparing leading people who are obligated by their profession to always follow directions and commands from someone with absolute authority over them versus leadership earned in a locker room, and on the football field.

Nope. I'm a realist, and endured too many optimists.

I would argue you’re more of a pessimist. A realist looks at the facts. Looking at Lagway’s high school career, his leadership on and off the field, and how he is helping pull together and maintain an elite recruiting class, would conclude he is natural born leader and not your average 5 Star QB. It’s all good though. We need optimist to bring you hope and we need pessimist to remind myself things aren't as perfect as them seem. My wife is a pessimist. We’ve been married almost 25 years. I’m a realist as well, water is wet and the sky is blue. Just call yourself a pessimist, that’s actually being a realist. [​IMG]

7. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Seriously?

Nothing is in their DNA. That is fanspeak, not genetics.

Yet Siler was the first to say it was Chris's team. Like Danny, Chris led by example.

So how many coaches and players won championships without being so-called Alpha dogs? Too many to count.

Sort of like Chris Leak?

Not everyone in the locker room responds to swag/moxy and rah-rah In Your Face screaming. Quiet leaders win big in football as well.

That is retrospective history, the perspective of the creator. Not a universal opinion.

I guess you weren't here on the boards in 2003. It was a primary topic of discussion, and many players affirmed it.

Very nice. I hope you're right. But let's wait and see if he is a generational player.

Soldiers respect the rank, but they are not obligated to respect the officer. There are a millions ways for a soldier to sabotage a leader's career. Many a poor leader ended up with a future in fast food because they chose to be a martinet, a rah-rah blowhard, rather than be a calm, decisive leader. In football, one does not have to be a vocal, shouting Alpha dog to be a great leader.

There are many who possess those characteristics, but they don't always translate to greatness on the football field or the battlefield.

Semantic, but pessimism is uniformly negative, and I'm not. That which has been demonstrated and verified has my support. But as General Colin Powell said, "Hope is not a planning factor." I served as a Plans and Operations officer in the Army with a couple tours in The Pentagon. Powell's quote was framed and prominently displayed on the wall as a reminder, and history is replete with leaders who were tremendous in preparation, lower level operations, only to be unable to replicate their accomplishments at the next level. See pretty much every Florida QB drafted to the NFL going back to Spurrier.

Please do not construe my rebuttal as antagonistic. I love a great conversation, particularly if we disagree. This enables us to learn perspectives we haven't considered. Peace to you...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Zzzzzzzz

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. HomeGrownGator

HomeGrownGator Senior

Jun 4, 2007
    I believe the young man’s mother recently passed away. His decision may have something to do with wanting to be closer to home. While I personally hate to see the young man leave let’s try to remember that a lot of factors are involved in these decisions before tearing down a current or former player.

Go Gators! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Mertz announced his return.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Looks like you're getting O'Donnell Fortune one of our DB's..

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. FranceGator

FranceGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Suspended for your Kentucky game?

14. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015

Yes..

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. kes

kes GC Hall of Fame

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Is he an all American?

16. Agator88

Agator88 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 7, 2014
    Does he tackle? Asking for a friend

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
  18. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Tied for team lead in INT'S w/2. Also credited with 6 passes defended good for 4th on the team. And had 39 tackles. (30 solo) I'll take him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    do you remember the 4th and 10 you guys converted in the 4th? He’s the one that missed the tackle.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. LS1

LS1 All American

Sep 9, 2015
    Marysville, OH
    If you can't beat 'em....join 'em?