Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Mass exodus at Colorado

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by Ahab, Apr 25, 2023.

1. cheatng8tr

cheatng8tr Junior

Dec 10, 2021
    My brother-in-law is a UF grad and, by no means, a FSU fan. He lived in Atlanta at the time Sanders was playing there. He took his son and a couple of his friends to a restaurant to celebrate his son's birthday. They just happened to be seated a table down from Deion and a couple of other players. Deion came over to the table, without prompting, and invited the whole group to move over to his table. My brother-in-law said he really couldn't have been nicer and couldn't get over how much he stood engaged with his son and his friends. I was not a big fan of Deion and some of his antics but that did kind of show me that he isn't all that bad.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That kind of entitlement that Meyer fostered was what ultimately unraveled the team

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tito22

Tito22 GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    No documentation. Heard it straight from players mouths who were in class with the two I am referring to. I’m sure top players not showing up to class happens all over the country

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. harleygator

harleygator Freshman

Jun 6, 2022
    Jacksonville
    Yep, still here. Here are the overall final team rankings for last years team in all of Division 1.
    1-11 record
    128/131 in total offense
    127/131 in scoring offense
    130/131 in total defense
    131/131 in scoring defense
    But of course this was all on the coaching staff. I’m sure that the players had nothing to do with it. Deion is such a fool for not doing everything he could to keep that roster intact.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    The WR that transferred was the best skill player on the field during the spring game and the bestvWR last season. You telling me that doesn't warrant at least a spot on a team of 85 mostly unknown commodities ?

6. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m still inclined to believe that colossal failure at that level is more an indictment of the coaching staff than all 85 players

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Dude wasn’t even on neon’s radar

8. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    Let’s pretend for one moment it were someone else besides Deion doing it… step back, look at it all. Something had to give. Not all 85 left. A decent percentage yes. Sucks for the kids. Some may end up in a better situation than they were in. If you were put in that coach’s shoes you might have done similar.
    Again, I’m not a Deion fan, just saying he’s doing what had to be done. That’s what they hired him to do

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly... Students' grades... if they start to fail, are you still afforded that Pell grant or some other scholarship with bad grades? If you fail in football... should you still be afforded that football scholarship too?

The "Student athlete" designation is even watered down to the max... to help some of these young men. So that is already the bottom line of help. If you fail that... bye bye...

10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    You can’t win bringing in 50 players from portal and having 50 leave. These are 1 and 2 year rental portal players. Can’t possibly learn your system in short period of time over summer, as coaches can only have practice a few weeks before season starts in Fall.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It has to be both to be that bad. Certainly there are a handful of players that can contribute and I hate Dion but those guys had to quit to be that bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

True. You wonder though, if 50 players give up in the middle of the season, it’s got to have an effect on 20 or 30 other guys who might be contributing otherwise

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 2oldgator

2oldgator GC Legend

Jul 14, 2021
    Dunnellon fl
    I’m glad your your brother-in-in-law and his son had a good experience with Deion. I’m sure it made a great day and lasting memory for all of them. Kudos to Deion.
    It reinforces what my dear Mama preached to me all of my life: There is some good in everyone.
    I still have little respect for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    No different than the real world. You could be a great contractor and at the end of the contract you may not be renewed. It does not matter why you are not renewed. You knew going in what the rules were. I deal with the quiet often in my job.

15. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Right, contractors are "Employed" correct? So are the players employees or "students-athletes"? And if employees then why tie their education to whether or not a new incoming coach likes you even if you have been the best player on the squad prior. I'm good with either but you can't have them as both "Employees" AND "Students"

16. easycoastgator

easycoastgator GC Legend

Dec 26, 2018
    There are many ways to look at this.
    In the end, the player has to be good enough in the coach’s eyes in order to be on the team.
    I made the JV basketball team but didn’t make the varsity team the following year. I thought I was good enough but I wasn’t to the coach and that is what rules the day

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  17. bperkins10

bperkins10 GC Legend

May 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Are the players signing a contract for one year intervals? That is my understanding.
    The players can now up and leave anytime they want to so it goes both ways.
    I am not saying I like it. It is just reality.

18. cheatng8tr

cheatng8tr Junior

Dec 10, 2021
    I get it. Believe me. I am no Deion apologist.

19. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Basically it unraveled the entire program, and we're still trying to rewind that golf ball.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Being old as hell certainly has its downside, but one thing that many decades can confer on an old Gator fan is the gift of perspective;
    Somehow, this go-round reminds me of the early going with Coach Pell - minus the "short cuts". Team morale was squashed just as flat as it was after the McElgoof trainwreck, and the talent level seemingly left something to be desired as well. We all know what transpired for both good and for ill. I hope, think, wish, etc., etc...that all is smooth sailing on the compliance side and that Billy can emulate the leadership and the dynamism Charley brought to G'ville - with a better grasp of what's what.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2