Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

LSU QB Walker Howard enters the portal

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by oneatatime, Jan 11, 2023.

1. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    I think the teeth pulling Marine is right.
    The UF fan base could use some extractions.

Facts - UF has been decent since Urban left but has been on a slow and frustrating decline since 2009.

For those that want to point to two 11 win seasons, the facts can point right back to four losing seasons.

In fact two 7 loss seasons in a row is what? Pre Pell, Doug Dickey era?

The Gators seem to be suffering from a malaise that has lasted well over a decade.

The program changed course in a big way when Dan was fired and Napier hired.

Regrettably for UF fans UF had a pretty deep bottom to hit before the climb back up. The journey is not a pleasing one, expect more hard realities next year. I will try to hold my tongue, grin and bear it until 2024.

What else can one do?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    We have been in a state of depression while floating down the Nile, (DeNile if you will) since the dazzler wasn’t and urbs was talked into staffing another season.

I just started buying better liquor

and edibles

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    This guy gets it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    Drink good Scotch.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    you couldn’t have said it better. I remember you were one of the rare ones, along with myself a few others, being on Mullen’s neck for a myriad of things people didnt want to admit was bubbling under the surface before the 2020 season and his recruiting was THEE main thing.

The current staff is far from perfect and have done some things even I 100 percent disagree with but I’m not about to complain about it constantly. Did i expect a higher rated bump class than 11th in HS recruiting? Yes. But did we also hit on our needs? Hell yea. Would I have liked to nab a QB and a plug and play TE? Yes, but it is what it is.

everyone is up and arms about losing Walker Howard when he has never entertained UF. Didnt in HS when Billy first got here so why would it be different when he was in the portal? It’s like some folks can’t accept that sometimes….kids dont want to go to a certain school no matter what. Happens at every single school

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    It’s as if some think these recruits think like they do and when they don’t pick UF it’s a failure on BN etc. I honestly believe it’s harder to succeed at UF compared to UGA, Bama, OSU etc. I think any of those coaches could struggle at UF. There are a multitude of reason why I believe that. Right now we just need to concentrate on the small successes and not worry about how UF stacks up against the big boys. Let’s get back to being ahead of Tennessee, Kentucky etc before we worry about UGA, Bama etc.

• Agree x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  8. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    When are invitations going out WC? I think I would enjoy catching a rerun of UF / USCe at your place............ lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    100% ^^
    Whoever thinks our measuring stick the next few years is UGA or Bama might as well take a self imposed 3 year time-out from the sport. Otherwise, they’ll need to seek some mental health health therapy in order to function from one day to the next.

We wanted someone different than Mullen and we got him. Mullen was fine with taking who he could, that allowed him to put in the least amount of work. Then just designing a different game plan from one week to the next, and from one year to the next, in order to mask talent flaws.

Nape has been very deliberate & specific with who he targets. He has a process and a blueprint that he is being very rigid in sticking with because that’s how the great ones do it. There are no shortcuts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That’s ok Shane, you’ll just open another package of bacon. All kidding aside I’ve never seen a poster throw around as much bacon as you have the last 2 weeks. You don’t even explain it — just angry at the world?

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^Word

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Another winner!

13. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    We will, but Billy will have to be much more creative with a non runner at qb. Some can continue to Jam up AR but he ran for 654 yards, 6.3 a carry, and 9 touchdowns without a threat at tight end and a very very conservative offense that did not have major threats. Without a threat to run, which AR was, defenses will put 8 in the box constantly this year.

As a veteran coach ( I believe Billy is in year 5)hoping Billy will get very creative and outscheme others. We’ve had others that definitely could do that. That’s one thing I totally expected of Billy. But short of that we will have to be perfect to win 7/8 games.

On another note AR represented our university very well. He’s a very classy young man. I hope there is major support for him after he is drafted.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Bennett is a player. Gotta give credit where credit is due. Kirby deserves credit also as most coaches would’ve played the highly ranked recruit or higher ranked player over Bennett.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    Oh. I have seen lots more bacon given out by another poster lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014

Not at all. Sometimes I think reading the entire post is huge.
    I’m a huge Gator fan. Heck, I travel more than most to watch our Gators in 4 different sports. I love the Gators!! If you watch recruiting posts you’ll see ( kinda wish others would see) I always say something positive whether it be portal or high school recruiting.
    But, I’m also objective. Sometimes I wear O and B glasses but not always. Case in point, I think I’ve only picked our basketball team to lose once in three years. That’s kinda ridiculous. More….I’ve not ever picked our football team to lose.
    I feel like being honest and objective is important. While I will admit I’m not always objective, look at my football pics always picking the gators, I do think anybody being paid millions at a great university like ours should produce and show major progress. This year, no matter what, I’d expect Billy to win 7/8 and not lose to all rivals.
    If I’m overdoing it with anything it’s being overly invested.

Big one in Starkvegas tonight. Castleton is filling stat sheets like Noah.
    Go Gators!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    And you have to be pretty bad to lose 7 games. Half the games are freebies if you are just average. We were bad.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Is bacon the same as throwing your sucker in the dirt?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007

And this is why we shouldn't be freaking out about not getting the 4 star high schooler who shall not be named nor Howard nor others. After Spring Practice and the results we will see several QB rooms like this and several QB's looking to leave QB rooms like Ole Miss and guess what??? There is another transfer portal window that will be available after Spring Practice.

Patience all my fellow grasshoppers. It will all work out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Yep, transfer portal is a curse AND a blessing. Can patch things up relatively quickly, but QB can only go so quickly even though our passing scheme isn't exactly complicated.

My guess is the guys we have are our options for next season. What does that mean? We probably won't have a Heisman winner at QB next season, but that doesn't mean they'll be bad. Just manage the game. It means our bread and butter will have to be our running game and our defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1