Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Louisiana Becomes First State To Require Ten Commandments In Public School Classrooms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mrhansduck, Jun 19, 2024.

1. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Valid point.

2. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Hmmmm. Decalogue main source of US law.

Not according to the Supreme Court Building. Moses as a lawgiver is one of 18, equal to the Prophet Mohammed, Napoleon, and 15 others.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/northandsouthwalls.pdf

4. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Seems that the title of the video is more applicable to this woman than E. Jean Carroll.
    upload_2024-6-19_17-59-32.jpeg
    Also keep in mind that Carroll sued the defeated former president for defamation. If he was able to control his impulses and keep his mouth shut he would have never been sued by her.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  5. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Jean Carroll saw the babes Trump was reeling in and cried “Me too!”

Thus, a social contagion was born.

6. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Once again the Donald was betrayed by his own lack of impulse control.
    E. Jean Carroll, Who Accused Trump of Rape, Sues Him for Defamation (Published 2019)
    From 2019
    President Trump vehemently denied the allegations. He called Ms. Carroll a liar, intent on selling a new book. He said he had never met her, despite a photo of the two of them together in the 1980s. He told reporters that he would not have assaulted Ms. Carroll because “she’s not my type.”

7. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    When conservative Christians argue, for example, there are secular arguments with respect to an issue like abortion, I think that's a fair point. Someone doesn't have to cite religious doctrine or even be religious to be concerned about when life begins, when a fetus can feel pain, etc.

But is there any secular argument here, particularly in light of the Commandments addressing purported sins such as having "other" gods and making graven images? The "theocracy" label is probably thrown around too lightly by some, but to me, this type of law seems clearly designed to have the state endorse religious viewpoints and mandate students to view them - no matter how much some might try to couch it as a mere historical document. If this is permitted, where's the constitutional line? And why don't more Christians seem to be concerned about long-term detrimental impacts on the church resulting from eroding the wall of separation of church and state?

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    So those in favor would not lose their shit if passages from the Koran were being put on the walls of public schools? Be honest....

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  9. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    There are some posters that skip right over the establishment clause. They think that free exercise is the totality of the amendment.

The truth is, they’re not worried about their religious freedom being infringed upon but that they don’t have the freedom to push it on everyone.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  10. obgator

obgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I mean some of them even have problems with Arabic numerals….

11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I would take it a step further. They view any resistance to imposing their will as an infringement of their freedom to dominate. And that definition of freedom is long established in this nation, counterintuitive as it might be

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Okay, when is the Lord going to give me some land?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. duggers_dad

Jan 5, 2022
    Believe All Women!

45% of the time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Weather certain land has been Divinely conveyed may be about the most hottest contentious issue that exists right now in the world

15. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Let me get this out of the way: the Ten Commandments are are a wonderful guide for a moral life.

However, they should NOT be displayed publicly. The impetus behind their display is recognition that parents and churches have failed to teach us how to live a moral life.

16. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The question is, what message is the Louisiana legislature conveying by this law? And it's no different from those they are allied with. It is one of Dominion, nothing more. It's not a message of moral guidance but of Dominion. But those that culturally identify as Christian, regardless of how much they live up to it or even believe it, should be in charge and rule over others

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  17. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I would respectively suggest this stunt is the opposite of conservatism, the essence of which is that government in a pluralistic society should not force its religious views on its citizens. Can you imagine the outrage were a Muslim governor to decree the display of some text from the Koran?

18. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    The Ten Commandments are not. Their public display is. I guess i didn't make the distinction clear.

19. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    He also said: "American is a nation where many self-righteous Christian hypocrites live." Or at least he should have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You did and I agree with what you say. I think I was the one who did not word it correctly. The public display is what I am referring to