Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Louisiana Becomes First State To Require Ten Commandments In Public School Classrooms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mrhansduck, Jun 19, 2024.

1. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Ha! No, he won't. Thomas wants to essentially write the Establishment Clause out of the Constitution.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020

LOL, dang man ...... you really do have difficulty with reading comprehension, see post #499 posted yesterday morning.

"But, I think some people will find the Ten Commandments meaningful (of value), others (anti-Christians) will dislike the words, and others will have no reaction at all."

Now, when are you going to provide any, and I mean any, evidence to support your assertion, and I quote post #471

"If we're trying to bring non-Christians to Christianity, this isn't the way."

Two days and you've provided nothing .... nada .... quite likely because none exists.

3. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    And finally, because of the mind-numbing content and profoundly non-responsive nature of your posts, there is only one action to take ....

derp, derp, .... flush, flush

4. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    ^^^peak irony.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We have some bright minds posting on these threads, and I have no problem recognizing that my bulb isn't the brightest in the room. I imagine my ability to understand where you are coming from may be significantly less than others' ability to do the same. All I can say is that it's not for a lack of trying on my part and that nothing that I am posting in our discussion is intended to be disrespectful to you. I apologize if it comes off otherwise.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I recall you saying that, but my question was specifically where do you fall on the spectrum, and how would you personally identify the value that exists. To me it's not just about whether or not one finds value in the Ten Commandments, but rather identifying the value of the compulsory requirement to post them while at the same time not being allowed to discuss them.

I intended to post, before, that I was expressing an opinion. I'm not even sure what you would accept as evidence as you would, presumably, have to believe that the statement is inherently falsifiable. It's fair to recognize that those who identify as Christians don't always agree on tactics (see Westboro), so I'm not sure what we can get out of exploring our difference of opinion in this regard further. Still, I'm happy to attempt to clarify what I mean by what I am saying. I simply believe that any such presentation requires follow-up for there to be an effective aspect to it. The follow-up is, presumably, not allowed on the part of the teachers which requires that the students take their own initiative to learn about this on their own time. It seems unrealistic to expect a kindergartner to observe the message for their first time, not have questions for the teacher, but then also take the message home for their parents to effectively help them out with understanding why they are posted on the wall. If the child has Christian parents, the exposure is likely not the child's first time; if the child does not have Christian parents, I don't see how this starts them down a path of exploring Christianity (similar for Judaism for that matter).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

7. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    Unless he plans on amending the constitution then the establishment clause is still there. Which even he understands.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    A mistake on your part. WES is one of a hand full of people contributing to this forum whose posts I never fail to read. His posts always have content worth reading and his questions are insightful, bringing much needed additional perspective in whatever discussion he is engaged. He's a great asset to the forum.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You need to remember that Thomas has his crank views and doesn't care about stare decisis. Thomas opposes incorporation of the Establishment Clause and reads it literally and narrowly.
    A Brief Guide to Clarence Thomas’s Insane Establishment Clause Jurisprudence

10. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Our Founding Fathers would be regarded as fundamentalist nut jobs on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    Yes ….. and likely due to a lack of objectivity, intellectual honesty, reason ….. and in some cases diminished capacity.

Some people on this site are incapable of reading a post and comprehending what was written. It’s absolutely stunning someone asks another to offer an opinion in a post that immediately follows said opinion having been given. I believe all too often folks don’t care what was posted by another because they are ONLY interested in arguing.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2024