Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Louisiana Becomes First State To Require Ten Commandments In Public School Classrooms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mrhansduck, Jun 19, 2024.

1. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Logically? Yes.

MAGA worm brain? Which religion are we banning?

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I could see that line of thinking or the proverbial slippery slope. A state could ban all non-state sponsored religions. The rub is states would be in economic peril from mass migrations of people seeking states that allow for freedom of religion. It would never happen absent an intention to secession.

3. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I am not sure anything is absolute at this point with this SCOTUS.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    That may be right at least for the foreseeable future. Perhaps that practical consideration could explain, in part, why those seeking to chip away at Establishment Clause precedent do not seem to be concerned about eroding Free Exercise protections.

5. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    So are you talking about Trump here? It fits

6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It certainly predates Christianity... :D;)

7. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Many on the right want their theocracy and by GOD they intend to have it.

8. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The observations will undoubtedly lead to questions. What would you have the teachers do when such questions come up? Share their opinion? Allow for an open discussion in the classroom? Something else? Regardless of your answer, do you think even all Christians will agree on this?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. gaterzfan

gaterzfan GC Hall of Fame

Feb 6, 2020
    So there's no evidence posting the Ten Commandments on a classroom wall is not the way to introduce someone to Christianity. And what evidence do you have that this posting will "undoubtedly lead to questions? These are just your feelings, which I respect your God given right to hold, but I don't believe it is evidence.

Educators should be intelligent trained professionals who can effectively respond to such an inquiry. One simple response would be ..... "that is something you should discuss with your parent(s) or guardian". It is really no big deal except for those who want to make it so.

While you're concerned with the Ten Commandments, don't forget the Declaration of Independance which says:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

and the Preamble to the Constitution which says:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to ........ secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,"

which are the certain inalienable Rights endowed to all men by their Creator.

10. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Contact your elected representative and ask them to introduce legislation to repeal the establishment clause from the constitution. That will fix it for you.

11. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I gave an opinion. Anything that I have that has led me to my view might only be anecdotal from your perspective. I'd be willing to consider your view that may involve others coming to Christ after having been exposed to the Ten Commandments if you're interested in sharing. It seems that such a thing could not happen without at least some level of curiosity on the part of those being exposed, but I'm willing to read what you have to say on the matter.

Well, there at least two possibilities. They lead to questions or they do not lead to questions. Anybody who either observes the message on the wall and does not generate questions or simply ignores the message on the wall is not really relevant to the discussion of impact. As long as you are willing to consider that it *may* lead to questions, it would be appropriate to determine how those questions should be addressed. I think it's reasonable to presume some level of questioning arising from this.

So you are effectively prohibiting any discussion of it. Anything that is posted material in a classroom should be fair game for discussion; if it can't meet that threshold then why post it at all?

We can take this further sideways and ask why "all men" didn't literally mean "all men." Is that what these men believed our Creator intended?

Same challenge. Were these "Blessings" not intended to be applied to all men? Maybe better for a July 4th thread (THFSG-style).

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

12. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    Again, I appreciate your opinion and respect you God given right to hold same. But you’ve provided nothing of substance to support your initial assertion. Sorry.

13. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Derp, derp …… flush.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    In fairness, you haven't provided anything of substance to support the competing argument. Is there anything to suggest this is something more than competing opinions?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. slocala

slocala VIP Member

Jan 11, 2009
    It’s cherry picking, no? How can federalism and original intent arguments apply to one and not the other? VT and WY should pass opposing laws limiting or expanding the bill or rights and force SCOTUS to remake the fabric of America in a revolution without a shot fired… I am just being silly. I don’t want this, but could see two small population states being the catalyst.

16. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    LOL .... ugh. He's my initial statement:

"What I don’t understand is ….. why do some people fight so hard against the Ten Commandments being posted on a classroom wall when, to those people, the Ten Commandments mean nothing."

---------------------------------------
    My next statement

"Please some evidence please that this is not the way to introduce someone to Christianity? Maybe someone who's getting no introduction to any sort of religious belief reads the Ten Commandments and then begins a search of their own? Is that so bad?

Again, why do people who do not believe in God worry so much about (fight so vigorously against) a sign referencing something they believe does not exist? Don't worry be happy. Is that the 11th commandment?"

------------------------------------
    And third statement

"So there's no evidence posting the Ten Commandments on a classroom wall is not the way to introduce someone to Christianity. And what evidence do you have that this posting will "undoubtedly lead to questions? These are just your feelings, which I respect your God given right to hold, but I don't believe it is evidence.

Educators should be intelligent trained professionals who can effectively respond to such an inquiry. One simple response would be ..... "that is something you should discuss with your parent(s) or guardian". It is really no big deal except for those who want to make it so.

While you're concerned with the Ten Commandments, don't forget the Declaration of Independance which says:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

and the Preamble to the Constitution which says:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to ........ secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,"

which are the certain inalienable Rights endowed to all men by their Creator."

-------------------------------
    And fourth statement

"Again, I appreciate your opinion and respect you God given right to hold same. But you’ve provided nothing of substance to support your initial assertion. Sorry."

----------------------------------

What are you looking for? Do you want me to provide evidence that placing the Ten Commandments on the wall of a classroom is the way to introduce someone to Christianity"? I never said it was .... but you asserted it wasn't and never provided evidence to support that position. Will you?

The only point I've made on this topic is .... I don’t understand why some people fight so hard against the Ten Commandments being posted on a classroom wall when, to those people, the Ten Commandments mean nothing.

It seems you want me to produce evidence I don't understand why some people fight so hard against the Ten Commandments being posted on a classroom wall when, to those people, the Ten Commandments mean nothing.

Sorry I can't do that on a message board. But you surely can provide something to support your assertion. Anything will be helpful, really. Thanks in advance.

17. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanks for asking. I’m looking to see how you would describe the value added by this requirement. I’m also curious how you think certain situations would/should be handled.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

18. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    It takes a special brand of moron to not see how this is blatantly unconstitutional. Clarence Thomas would tell you this is unconstitutional.

19. gaterzfan

Feb 6, 2020
    I never asserted the “requirement” would “add value”, did I?

I’ve only stated I don’t understand why some people (probably anti-Christians, anti-Semites, and/or those who are always searching for a reason to be a victim?) get worked up over something that has no meaning to them.

But, I think some people will find the Ten Commandments meaningful (of value), others (anti-Christians) will dislike the words, and others will have no reaction at all.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WESGATORS

Apr 3, 2007
    I don't recall. But we can clear that up now. Do you believe that the requirement adds value?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS