Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Louisiana Becomes First State To Require Ten Commandments In Public School Classrooms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mrhansduck, Jun 19, 2024.

1. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Project much?

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You didn't see the videos? Even the Chinese a jealous of Mao Obama.

3. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    More from the Liberals "Messiah" Obama... Children forced to sign songs about him, praising him.

4. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, we on the Right were just having a "complex" about Obama worship in the classrooms. These teachers should all have been fired and lever allowed to teach out children their propaganda BS.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    I agree. It is arrogance by the atheists who are as certain of their belief as Christians are of theirs. To me the only rational position is to say “i have no idea” and certainly no proof. You can believe but you don’t know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not even close to the same level of evangelical zeal with which Trumpists follow their orange god. Taking false equivalency to a whole new level. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I referred to Limey's definition of arrogance because of the way you consistently dismiss/condemn those on the opp side of the aisle. To start, you wrote:

We also have freedom of speech and freedom of religion here in the U.S.A., regardless of what the Dems think.

You are suggesting that Dems are not in favor of freedom of religion, making it a good/bad, us/them issue. That's dismissive, not to mention inaccurate.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. gatorjo

gatorjo GC Hall of Fame

Feb 24, 2024
    Imagine coming onto this site to post such worthless nonsense.......four posts in a row.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    He directed this post against me? I must have missed that. Or are you inventing? Try again, this time with none of your editorials added.

10. Gatorrick22

Apr 3, 2007
    Yes you are...

11. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Official Brexit Reporter!

First off, @phatGator apologies if you see spite in my comments. I can assure you there isn't. Is there a lot of frustration? Absolutely - because I find it persists beyond reason. But I'm not and have never been about being spiteful. This being a message board, I simply possess an opinion and am sharing it.

Did I say it was the only reason they say it? Check my quote if you wish... That would be insulting, I agree. It's why I didn't say it.
    I love the concept of calling - I feel the same about my vocation to work in Education for more than two decades. Religion doesn't have exclusivity on calling, fyi.

That's the juicy bit - PLEASE expand on it and I think you'll edge towards my point about arrogance. Does it mean you can see something I can't?

That's a fascinating take and I hear you. I also think it's a stunningly clever piece of manouvering. "No matter what you do, you'll never be good enough... but if you're subservient to our doctrine, you've got a shot." I've never met anyone with a Faith that can see that it bears alarmingly close psychology to the concept of carrot and stick. If I wanted to exert influence and control over a group of people, only enabling success on my terms (which are also unprovable as to whether you have achieved it) is a quite spectacularly brilliant strategy where the house will always win. To me, it's akin psychological manipulation and very, very effective.

Yes, yes I do. So that's backfired a bit.
    But it's also classic whataboutism to say "well, what about others?" Without deflection, it's something that religion could do AND has the means (and mission, apparently) to do.
    You and I both know Religion as a whole could do this. We all do. I see no point in debating it as it just gives more cause for redirection. Deflecting it just makes you look obsequious to your faith.

Fascinating. As if this is about having the last word to you?
    My original point was - and still remains (in my humble opinion) unanswered, which is whether those with faith can see it as arrogant.
    Nobody has - most saying it's actually more about caring - which I think is very telling.

I'll leave you with a quote of my favourite too...
    It's a Navajo proverb and has become something I think is extremely pertinent in the world today.
    "You can’t wake a person who is pretending to be asleep"

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I mean wouldnt that be why i think the law is wrong? Otherwise, why would I have an issue with it.

Yes.

But i am building on my point from the beginning. The 10c in the classroom is not an issue because it establishes no specific religion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    No, rick. I'm directing his post to (not against) you.

14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You say it's why you think the law is wrong, but are affirming your belief that it's not intended as a promotion of Christianity? (it is, btw) And I think you're trying to excuse the issue based upon an irrelevant technicality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The Onion imitates life, at least in Brandon, Florida, based on a regular inside Catholic joke in area Catholic circles (hope no one is offended)

The Onion

Nativity Parish in Brandon

nativity parish Brandon.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I am not saying their intent isnt that. I've said if it is, it is wrong. Check my posts

17. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The idea of believing you know more about what’s best for someone than they do is what’s offensive in the whole life preserver, missing bridge analogy.
    Every person is perfectly capable of making their own spiritual choices and decisions, if they want more info on your religion they will ask. Live your life according to your code, and leave others alone to do the same.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    I want Leda & the swan in all classrooms. Pretty darn inspiring

upload_2024-6-26_15-6-25.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'm curious what leads you to believe this. We don't leave people to figure out more obvious things like parenting, finances, or general education on their own. Why would we expect that "every person is perfectly capable of making their own spiritual choices and decisions?" I'm not even attempting to insinuate that mine is superior to yours, just, in general, it makes sense that people are in need of guidance in this regard just as they are in many other areas of life.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Like Like x 1