Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Louisiana Becomes First State To Require Ten Commandments In Public School Classrooms

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mrhansduck, Jun 19, 2024.

1. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Lots of interpretation on that second one…

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    So basically,

Righty slogans = succinct truth.
    Lefty slogans = crafty lies.

Definitely some strong critical thinking going on there.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    This is a bad comparison, Chavez was better at coups

5. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    That is not what I said. I did not equate the right with truth. I even said I disagree with the idea behind MAGA on some level. I never thought Trump would make America great again. What I am saying is the left has a Ph.D level of expertise in this craft. I do not believe the right has mastered this craft anywhere on the level the left has. Trump possibly has engaged in employing these three to five word slogans, but how many people actually walk lock step with Trump and repeat all of his phrases? He says, "Creepy Joe," but how many people actually parrot that? Not many. The level of collusion between the DNC and the media makes them excel in this craft way beyond anything the right has ever been able to do.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. philnotfil

philnotfil GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    In what ways do those crafty little lies on the sign distort the truth?

7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    You think it took 'PhD level craft' to come up with "Yes We Can" or "Build Back Better"

8. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    There is a craft to building social movements, and part of that craft is using slogans and words in such a weigh to seduce the simple minded. The DNC is one of the best in the world at it.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    Obama is one of the best ever at the community organizer craft.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Uh not really, and he nicked "Yes We Can" from a much superior organizer, Cesar Chavez.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I do remember some of Clinton’s people doing “yes we can”, but honesty the “build that wall” and especially “lock her up” were cult like in its crowd participation. Esp the latter which was unheard of before in a U.S. political campaign. If anything, the slogans the leftists came up with seem to be meaningless drivel. What’s nefarious about Build Back Better? That’s like something generic a corporate marketing focus group would come up with, and in reality it probably is.

Obviously we saw the result of “Stop the Steal” culminating with 1000’s of nutbars attacking the Capitol. The irony of your posts is you accuse the dems slogans of being based in lies, but completely gloss over the ridiculousness of the right wing propoganda machine. But hey, maybe they’ll “release the Kraken” any day now, or maybe 92 will get to the bottom of those 2000 mules.

12. JG8tor

JG8tor Senior

Apr 9, 2007
    Was? WAS? You better grab your shovel and your water bucket and get your nose back to the grindstone. Don't think you can carve out some sort of ideologically pure fiefdom for yourself and still reap the rewards Lord Emperor Trump will deliver. Get motivated now or Gitmo later.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The DNC's main contribution to politics (post DLC) was asking questions like "how do we make a Democratic Reagan" and deciding the way to do that was to run on gutting welfare and have their candidate make a point of executing a mentally handicap person. And pretty much no one cites Bill Clintons campaign slogan, which was something about a bridge to tomorrow or whatever. They just played that Fleetwood Mac song. I think you and James Carville are the two people that are still like "that was brilliant"

14. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    But aren’t you always saying that “parents are taking THEIR money” for vouchers? THEIR money really doesn’t cover it, does it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Not sure why you are coning at me with the whole rich thing. My kids are not in private school and i am not rich.

Again. I am a tax the rich sorta guy. A fiscal liberal in many ways

16. tilly

Only an ignorant person would think the 10C promotes a protestant religion over Catholicism, Islam or Judaism.
    And AGAIN that includes any Christian who is pushing this law.

17. tilly

Well true. If one truly does the first, then they will do the second by default.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    First, even if it wasn't promoting one over the other (it appears to be), that is still establishing a set of religions. It promotes Abrahamic religions over other religions that do not include the Ten Commandments.

Second, when you have differing translations and differing roles of the documents in multiple religions (e.g., it is not the basis for Islamic law), the simple fact that is is mentioned by both religions does not mean that somebody is not promoting one above the others. The bill chooses a specific version of the 10 Commandments. Religions differ on the translation (and you can't utilize an untranslated version according to the law).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Contra

Contra GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2023
    I think there are Catholics, Jews, and Protestants who promote things contrary to the 10 commandments, but those promotions are not a feature of those religions. It is because people in those religions are compromising with their cultures. Allah is a different God than the God spoken of in the 10 commandments. Islam also contradicts the 10 commandments in some other ways as well. Many acts defended as jihad seem like a pretty obvious contradiction of the 10 commandments.

20. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1