Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Looking Ahead To The 2024 Season & Beyond - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Nov 27, 2023.

1. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    If DJ holds to his commitment and CBN is canned at the end of 2024, DJ is going to portal out. CBN will be the coach at the START of 2025..Strickland's fate is tied to basketball team making the NCAA. I dont see how SS is given a third chance at hiring a football coach.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Putting hope in a freshman to save us…..

3. ApexNC

ApexNC GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    We should all be dancing in the streets if we go 6-6 and make a bowl game next season. Toughest college football schedule I've ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    Drop who??
    scUM?
    UCF?

UF would never hear the end of it

5. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I want Billy Napier and our Gator football program to succeed as much as anyone. Going through another coaching change affects recruiting, player development, etc., although sometimes it is necessary. I follow all our sports and comment on most of them on various threads. I praise when I see praiseworthy accomplishments and criticize when I think it is warranted. I bleed orange and blue, always have and always will. But I won't try to diminish the value of players who leave to play somewhere else, nor will I attempt to build up one of our players beyond what they've shown in competition. Even though I call things as I see them, some take exception and give me a C'Mon Man or Disagree Bacon from time to time. That's fine, provided they give a reasonable explanation or an opposing view backed by information or facts. With that said.....
    In the 2021-22 coaching carousel, LSU hired Brian Kelly, Southern Cal hired Lincoln Riley, Oregon hired Dan Lanning, TCU hired Sonny Dykes, Washington hired Kalen DeBoer, Duke hired Mike Elko, who was so good Texas A&M has now hired him to replace Jimbo, Notre Dame hired Marcus Freeman, Oklahoma hired Brent Venables and Florida hired Billy Napier. Question: Billy Napier was a better hire than which, if any, of these guys?
    Regardless of what I think of each of these coaches or their universities, they have all had much more success in their first 2 years than Florida and Napier. TCU played for the national title last year and Washington is in the playoffs this year. How many of these other guys did our AD even reach out to? I don't know the answer to that one, but I think a decent argument can be made that our AD blew it big time. I hope he proves me wrong, but THE University of Florida, with probably the best high school recruiting base in the nation, an elite academic reputation, a great fan base and the alumni resources and financial profitability few schools surpass, should not be in a situation of 3 straight 7-loss seasons. And responsibility stops at the top of the pyramid with the Athletics Director.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    I’m sure Will would come back here

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Stricklin will not get a third shot at hiring a football coach. He goes as Napier goes.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  8. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I don’t think Stricklin’s fate rests on the MBB team making the Big Dance, however that can be used as the reason to can him in April and spend the summer searching for a new AD. That person will then be in place before next football season, ready to make the call if Napier tanks again.

To find ourselves with no AD, no football HC, and a recruiting class in shambles next December is a nightmare.

Influential BullGators and donors may simply need to make the call on Stricklin soon, anticipating what next football season will bring.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. malscott

malscott GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    I certainly don't hate that idea.

Ocalaman-WOW, one of the better breakdowns of what has transpiered that I've read. I was pretending not to know most of that.

We'll see how this all sorts itself out. Ya never know. We could land some fabulous kids, coaching changes have to help. These young studs will have a year under their belts next year. DJ comes aboard. Even Nick and the boys think the schedule is a bit easier than it looks on paper. I would hope next year some of these close games become wins.

We had three this year that should have been wins. Two against ranked teams.

Bordingham, Tre, Mertz, Jackson, a few defensive guys back from injury, a few new studs from the portal.

If you don't hear from me it's because I tried the famous triple lindy off of Half Dome in Yosemite.

Go Gators.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Man up and drop Samford.:)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that this year will be a good indication of coaching performance. Not only for our team, but for many others. Mizzouri is losing 14 starting seniors, LSU Jayden Daniels, FSU many upperclassmen who came in from the portal... on and on. I wonder how many of these other coaches will repeat their teams performance.
    IMO, I still think, unless it's a total meltdown, CBN will be here at least 2 more years. Between portal, NIL, upgrades I just don't see us pulling the plug after year 3 (once again) and paying out the huge buyout.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. allendoc

allendoc GC Hall of Fame

Nov 24, 2021
    I'm optimistic about next year's schedule. Teams that looked tougher, not so much currently. Tenn away, hmmm, Texas, UGA, LSU, that's my concerns now.. We win the State of Florida Championship with a sweep of all three, TAMU now in a rebuild with talent flooding out. Samford gets their check. 8-4, I'd take that with that schedule.

It could even be a magical year, because just maybe Billy is building something special. A fan can hope. It's better than the other side of the coin.

Let's just enjoy this magical baseball season we are about to have....

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I don't have any information either, but I think we're definitely going to lose some fair-weather fans. We didn't entertain them nearly enough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. crt1985

crt1985 Freshman

Oct 11, 2014
    I listened to the schedule reveal and the opponent rules, which requires 8 conference games and at least one required opponent from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12 or major independent, and I have two questions. 1. Who selects the out of conference opponents for each team? 2024 is a ridiculous schedule. 2. Are we required to play FSU every year? The state of Florida now has 3 Power 5 teams, so why do we play FSU each year?

15. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007

16. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    How’s this working out so far?

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Thankfully the staff and team will be doing their best to have great year despite the noise. I the idea of winning the state. Having all 3 is a good opportunity to make a statement. Crush Miami game one would be a huge boost.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Why do Gator fans want to drop FSU ? Because they’re tired of losing to them ?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    The defense that GA runs is no more Chump's defense than the defense that won the 2003 National Championship. Kirby and Satan are in charge of their defenses.

Muschamp sux as a defensive coach. His defenses sucked at Florida. They sucked at Auburn (the second time). They sucked at USCe. He just happened to fall forward and work for Kirby.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    You are pretty way off here . Dude can coach !!! Liked him a lot and wish it would have worked out . But I guess it’s more fun and challenging to change coaches every year . So I guess after next year we can do it all again !!! Can’t wait! What a great time !
    Love being Stanford , Vandy, Northwestern, Rutgers .