Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Looking Ahead To The 2024 Season & Beyond - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Nov 27, 2023.

1. rmonteag

rmonteag GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2010
    Some on here have noted that last year was Year 0 for him, thus making this year Year 1...I expect same results next year if no changes are made and the schedule the way it is.

2. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Feel like we got the right guy ten years too late. Our dysfunctional NIL and the transfer portal made coach's methods somewhat outdated. Think we are evolving but results have to happen on the field or else nothing will matter.
    I can imagine Napier pulling in top 3 class year two if things had been the way they used to be in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    Hire SOS as an offensive coordinator for starters. (Now, THAT would be a slash hire!)

Maybe the Zooker for special teams.

Addazio for offensive line.

Pay them each a $1 million.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gator_annarbor

gator_annarbor Senior

Nov 9, 2019
    Blame NIL for that....partly...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    SOS has said that winning is a habit, and so is losing. We clearly need to break one to get back into the other.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. believer

believer GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2007
    Lord knows we’re probably still paying him anyways

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    Newly hired coaches coming into a good rosters situation with distributed numbers do better by year 2. I don't believe this to be the case when BN came in though. People forget we also struggled on O in Mullens last year.

Next year will be key for BN. He's gotta show more in the W column for year 3. It still may not be the final straw as I do think he has improved the organization and is establishing recruiting roots. I can actually see an argument for getting to year 4 even if we were to have mediocre 2024. It probably sets up the next coach to succeed.

I have to agree with some others about coaches out there. I just don't see anyone that would immediately make a difference. Many of the ones that have had successful turnarounds are benefitting from the prior regime, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. staticgator

staticgator GC Legend

Nov 27, 2016
    Yeah it's very possible with early signing that Year 3 is the new Year 2.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    2024 is a results year.

No more preaching patience or process. If we look the same as we did the past 2 years, the process is then by definition garbage and a decision on Billy’s tenure will have to be made.

Staff: need OC, ST, new OL coach, and Armstrong needs to show improvement.

Roster: need to attack portal same way he attacks HS ranks. Billy doesn’t have the time to wait for the 2024 class to be RS-juniors in order to win on the field.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Two things are clear to me
    1) The cycle of perpetually firing coaches is not a good one. We have to get out of that.
    2) CBN is over his head. This is far more complicated and difficult than he realized. Plus he's young and his staff is young.

So where does that leave us??
    IMO we let the guy work, make mistakes, and grow.
    He can be the right guy for us long term- but the question is can he grow into this difficult position?

• Like Like x 1
  11. MarineG8R

MarineG8R GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2014
    You really think the boosters are gonna pony up? They've put a lot money already into this rebuild.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    If he makes no significant staff changes this off-season does that change things for you?

13. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    The players have to execute better and the coaches have to coach better. These last 2 seasons have really been teachable moments

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    WE have a lot of needs. On the field we need a better OL and linebackers, mostly. The coaching staff really needs to drill down on unforced errors. Armstrong has to figure out how to put 2 good defensive halves together and convince his secondary that, if they can touch the ball, they can catch it. Need a play caller with a better feel for situations.

I would feel a lot better if we had won one of the last three games. They were all within reach but the Gators could not grasp the brass ring.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    [QUOTE="MarineG8R, not necessarily better than UGA, Bama... [/QUOTE]
    Why not?..... We've been better than both and even better than Oklahoma before. Why not get that swag going again? I hear what you are saying about the other topics but NO WAY in heck do I want UF a s middle of the pack team or slightly better than that. We have been on top of the mountain before and with all the resources, we should be there again. Just my opinion, not trying to argue with you.

GO GATORS!!!!

16. MarineG8R

Nov 19, 2014
    Why not?..... We've been better than both and even better than Oklahoma before. Why not get that swag going again? I hear what you are saying about the other topics but NO WAY in heck do I want UF a s middle of the pack team or slightly better than that. We have been on top of the mountain before and with all the resources, we should be there again. Just my opinion, not trying to argue with you.

GO GATORS!!!![/QUOTE]

Different time. Don't think UF has the buy in like the Bamas and UGAs. Still way behind in payroll for staff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. stabnburn23

stabnburn23 GC Legend

Mar 29, 2022
    I have high hopes for improvement next year provided these 3 things happen:
    Replace an OL coach with a dedicated OC.
    Get an actual ST coach.
    Do not fire Armstrong.

If we enter next season with Billy as OC or a new DC, it's gonna be just as bad as this year IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    I don't think he is good using the portal besides Mertz who was good this year?

19. gatorfanbill

gatorfanbill All American

Feb 7, 2018
    I can’t wait for next season to begin.
    Go Gators!

• Like Like x 2
  20. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019

GO GATORS!!!![/QUOTE]

Young 20something year old Gator fan was talking to me about Alabama, his wife's team. He told me I have to admit that Alabama IS football. I had to tell him , well that depends on when you were born. I'm in my mid 40s. I was just getting into sports around Emmitts sophomore year. In my lifetime the state of Florida WAS football for the 90s. Nebraska, fsu and Florida were the winningest programs of the 90s. We beat Bama several times in that time. We had a lull with Zook then won 2 more with urban. Saban and smart have been operating differently since but that has more to do with being desperate to win at all cost and take back this perception that they ARE football.

I don't know that we will ever make the same commitment to winning at all cost like they have but we don't need to either. Saban with all his talent accumulated still doesn't win it every year. In enough time Kirby won't either....hopefully.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1