Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Lock him up! CNN reports Trump to be indicted

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by WarDamnGator, Jun 8, 2023.

1. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    Not my area of the law, but my understanding is that prosecutors have some limited circumstances in which they can appeal. I assume if a court dismisses an indictment pursuant to a pre-trial motion, that would be appealable and not run afoul of the prohibition against double jeopardy. Someone can correct me if my gut is wrong.

2. middleoftheroadgator

middleoftheroadgator All American

May 19, 2023
    This judge is going to throw out the case.

How she was assigned this case should be investigated.

3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't think it's something to celebrate. I've said plenty of times here I didn't want to see him charged or arrested. Not because I didn't think it was possible that he broke the law.
    I just think it's bad for the country, primarily because the zealots will refuse to believe it possible that he broke the law and consider it an act of war. Not that they don't act like it's a war already.
    No, we shouldn't let their extreme partisanship and devotion to that creep of a man affect justice. And, no, I suppose we can't ignore breaking of the law, even when it's the former president.
    I'd still rather not see it happen.

4. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I’m the opposite in that Trump openly flaunted laws, rules and norms and he set an example that you can do whatever you want and get away with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Gotta love Americans born and raised here lecturing Cubans on Communism.

Please spare us from your patronizing bullshit.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  6. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    ]

I get it, and can't argue with you.

7. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Arresting a President for breaking the law means this country is working exactly the way its supposed to.

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  8. PD

PD VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It is known that foreign representatives were allowed to ML to view the documents.

It is still unknown why the bone saw government of Saudi Arabia have Jared Kushner $2 billion while Trump was in office.

It is still unknown why the Chinese government fast-tracked and approved Ivanka Trump for over 30 trademarks potentially worth billions in revenue in the world’s second-largest economy.

It is still unknown what was done with several highly classified documents - or where they currently are - that used to be in now empty folders in the stolen boxes of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago.

At least it’s unknown to the public. Hopefully at least some of these answers were discovered in the investigation that led to Hr indictment.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Here's MTG admitting to espionage on live TV. Which btw I don't actually believe she did.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I have little doubt he violated the law and lied about it.

His specific motives may or may not matter in Court. I don't know the elements of the charges yet. But I think his specific motives will matter at least in the court of public opinion. Naturally, it'd be really bad if he kept and lied about having classified records to exert pressure on others or to trade for favors. The Iran document is interesting though. Sounds like they will claim that he secretly kept that because he wanted to have it as a defense to accusations he was pushing for war with Iran. If it turns out to be more along those lines, I doubt public perceptions are going to change that much from what they are now.

11. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia

But RIVER - Trump FORCED THIS on the nation. Sooner or later, one must confront the bully and put ones fist in thier teeth.

This monster and his acolytes tried to steal our damn country. His record is clear, he is a narssist, a liar, a cheat and a con man.

I get your point, you want a civil society and law and order, but look at what the "chump" movement has brought us - uneducated radicals in Gov't, that apparantly have no other agenda than dishonering the constitution, laws, elections and justice.

I'm sorry but this evil needs to be dealt with and NOW!

let Republicans find candidates worthy to run for the presidency that have sound policies that apply to all Americans.

Trump is NOT it.

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, that particular poster posted dozens of times to praise and defend the movie that was supposed to prove election fraud but obviously failed miserably.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    He was not merely “talking shit”, he repeatedly pushed to have it done. Cucinelli testified under oath that he heard Trump wanting this done. When advised by WH council that it was ILLEGAL and couldn’t happen, Trump put Giuliani on it. Because I guess Giuliani’s criminal activity in Ukraine wasn’t enough!

Facts.

Trump directly involved in plans to seize voting machines -reports

You might find that irrelevant because no machines were actually seized, but it’s relevant to what he tried to do in Georgia (which should be another obvious indictment) and relative to the overall impetus for his attempts to illegally overturn a U.S. election.

14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    A lot of material witnesses conveniently died to avoid more serious charges.

Wow. You're invoking the use of "deplorables" to place the blame of the decline of civil discourse on Trump's lap? LOL!

Suggestion: google "deplorables"; cross reference it against your time line...get back to me.

The first one was complete bullshit based on a phone call that was completely kosher.

The second one resulted from excluding key republicans from participating in the partisan withchunt.

You actually suggesting Hunter's laptop doesn't exist?

...that it hasn't been authenticated as Hunter's?

...that it wasn't suppressed leading up to the '20 election?

...that any action has been taken on it?

....that the DOH isn't actively ignoring whistle blowers with incriminating information and about *Biden Intel Peddling International Inc*?

LOL!

Declared in earnest...in the comfortable confines of da snowglobe!

Awesome!

So all the crimes just happen to be perpetrated, incredibly conveniently, by members of one polical party...

Hahahaha....HAHAHAHHAH....funny stuff there PD....

Made my day!

#snoglobelife!

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    I know. I was opposed to his first impeachment because I knew it'd turn into a partisan pissing match and accomplish nothing. At first, I was opposed to the second for the same reason.
    But if attempting to overturn our election in order to stay in an office that he legitimately lost isn't grounds for impeachment, what the hell is?
    So I can't disagree with you, either. It's just more of a gut feeling on my part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. mrhansduck

Nov 23, 2021
    I have mixed feelings and appreciate your sentiments.

Ideally, he would be treated no better and no worse than anyone else. But that's complicated with any political leader, much less a former Commander in Chief. At the highest levels of power, I think there's a reason they say the coverup is usually worse than the crime. I feel like people on that level are going to get chances that others wold not. Here, it sounds like he had many chances to avoid this. It's almost like he was daring them to indict because he knew it would fire up his base and make it harder for the GOP to move on from him.

17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Someone needs to start a criminal justice reform thread to remind the very people celebrating this of the values they purport to support.

The question isn’t just whether minorities that are charged and incarcerated broke the law, another question is if they were prejudicially targeted. If they’re applying the law to one group of people prejudicially, but not another, that’s a problem. Now we may disagree on what evidence proves prejudicial targeting based on immutable characteristics, but we agree in the notion that people shouldn’t be selectively targeted based on immutable characteristics even if they broke the law.

And that prejudice is ESPECIALLY damaging when it is rooted in political beliefs.

I know I’m probably being optimistic, they probably don’t see any comparison to that or will refuse to see any comparison to that. But when you see that it’s just about power to this degree, it’s really sad.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    My impression is it was a reaction to Milley saying to others Trump was going to attack Iran in a way the dog type distraction to keep himself in power. In Trumps twisted way of thinking by having that document he could prove Milley was already contemplating attacking Iran (which is likely not true but the defense department has contingency plans for lots of scenarios ). Trump figured he could waive this around as a giant “gotcha”.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    He didn’t do it because he was appropriately reigned in by members of his own administration.

Now this sort of banana republic shenanigans are happening to him, you’re egging it on, and you’re calling US the radicals.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I can already hear his supporter saying, "Prove that the papers he waved and said were Secret on tape were actually Secret documents... they could have been his shopping list. We don't know what those documents were."

• Agree Agree x 1