Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Let's be honest about who we are.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by HisDoc, Dec 7, 2023.

1. gbranton

gbranton GC Legend

It can be a life-changer, but you have to want it and be willing to work for it, sadly many student athletes put zero value in that.

Case in point: A good friend of mine that I grew up with, he and he brother both played basketball for UF. You could say he was pretty good, in fact he is listed as one of the fifty best players in the history of the program and still hold records related to scoring he set in the 80’s. His senior year he sat down with Norm Sloan and coach told him he might have a short career in the NBA but he’d be better off concentrating on his education. He got a Masters in finance free of charge from UF, retired in his fifties, lives in Palm Beach and plays golf five times a week. Set for life because he chose the path that required some diligence, whereas too many athletes jump at the chance to flame out in the NBA and is broke at thirty.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’s no different. Then we just be under contract now like the NFL, which is better than what we have

3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They would get for your contracts. They could either honor them or sit. They don’t have to sign them. They can sign with whoever they want just like a professional.

4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Very few play in the NFL. For most it’s just an extension of being able to play the game we played as a kid. The schools are making hundreds of millions of dollars off of this product and they should cut the kids in. For the ones who have the mental capacity to take advantage of a high-level education is a great deal. But you and I have both heard some of these guys talk and you realize there’s only a couple marbles rolling around up there. Don’t insult that guy with a book, he needs the cash. there are some guys that are very valuable college athletes that will never play on Sundays and they could give themselves a really big start in life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I asked before, are you going to give all of them 4 year contracts? That’s going to limit your ability to bring in new talent every year and stay under 85, unless you’re going to cut them and continue to pay them, or cut them and not pay them but that hardly seems fair. What are you going to do when a 3 star comes in and lights it up and decides he’s going to sit out until you redo his deal? They’re doing this now in the nfl even though the athletes agreed to the draft slots and pay scales .

The kids would also have to be onboard with this or you get into a price fixing/collusion situation. The schools can’t collude to lock the kids up for four years unless the kids agree to that with a cba like they have in the nfl. Right now the kids have zero incentive to negotiate a cba. I guess the schools could implement a lock out to bring the kids to the table, but I don’t think they have the cojones for that stunt.

6. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    We need to stop blaming the players that are taking advantage of a system to try to make money or a better playing situation and start blaming the coaches that can't figure out how to win with the current system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    Is Buddy Martin’s latest podcast total clickbait or is Urban Meyer really talking about wanting to come back ?

8. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    We are South Carolina if you want to be honest

9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The scary concern for me is if we lose to Miami, FSU and UCF next year. OOC schedule is supposed to cushion schedule and get you to a Bowl game. Is we lose to all 3 State programs, Billy is likely gone.

10. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's not just that we are strong academically. There are good football programs that are also strong academically (Michigan).

I think that our athletic department has bigger picture priorities than "football first and ONLY". We are a balanced athletic program, similar to Stanford and UNC. It makes us less likely to go "balls to the walls" for football alone.

Probably the only school that I can think of that is as strong as we are academically, has a great athletic department overall, AND is a football school is Texas. And I think that is prob just because they, like the Aggies, have money to burn that we don't. I haven't looked at Texas's endowment, but A&M's is 5-10 times the size of ours and the largest of any public Univ in America.

11. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    And he should be if that occurs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Those Cocks don't shrink under pressure.

13. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I’ll take your word for it

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Dunno. The last three years, USCe was 7-6, 8-5 and 5-7, and we can't use the tired excuse of weaker ACC schedule...

15. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    replaced "likely" with "absolutely"...

16. gatorin1963

gatorin1963 Junior

Nov 20, 2016
    Things change. I recall cheering and excitement when we were in the top 25 for the first time. Things are always changing. Gator football will be great again. To UF’s credit, we are an excellent academic institution. It is not either/or issue. Go Gators!

17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I propose exactly that. If ET wants to phone home to Georgia, he can go before he signs a four year contract. He can sit all he wants but you don’t have to pay a sitter. You can trade his disgruntled ass.

18. GTRM8

GTRM8 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 12, 2021
    I don’t disagree with most of your dissertation. But I think we can have both. We are clearly the strongest academic institution in Florida and probably the south eastern US. No reason that we can’t also be a strong athletic program including the Powersports. I’ll be a fan forever, but I want to see us returning to the point where at least we compete for The SEC along with the likes of Georgia and Alabama. Go gators

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. volungator

volungator All American

I enjoyed watching both.

• Like Like x 1
  20. volungator

volungator All American

The Univ of Texas (system wide) is reportedly significantly more than TxAM. I haven't the time or interest in confirming.
    TxAM is 18B (system wide)
    Michigan is 17.9 for the single institution.

UF is 2.4B