Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Let BN do his job...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Nov 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022

2. always_and_forever_uf

always_and_forever_uf GC Legend

Jun 20, 2022
    Yep. Went to SG in SECCG vs Bama. Why not sooner? A lot of us were wishing for it LONG before it happened, too.

3. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Those few good seasons were surrounded by flameouts. We've had 3 losing seasons in that span. Before 2013, we did not have a losing season since 1979.

That's not consistency and continuing in that direction is not going to get us to Atlanta very often, if at all.

Since Muschamp's 2nd or 3rd class, our recruiting has been substandard and our talent level has not been been competitive with Alabama and now Georgia.

I'd rather see this losing culture that has gone on since 2013 removed. I'd also like to have a staff that can rebuild the talent level with a 100% commitment to recruiting. We'll see if Napier is the guy who can do it. We won't know for a bit, but the recruiting is superior to Mullen and Mac so I'm encouraged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    its possible to know if your team is on a path to building a championship level contender in year 1 but those instances are very rare. yes the above teams are successful in year 1 but its still going to take 2=3 years to find out if their success is sustainable. i thought we all learned from mullen and mac that year 1 success is not an indicator of whether we are building a sustainable contender. i dont see how you can know if CBN is the coach for us without 2-3 years of his coaching at UF

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tommyuf21

Apr 8, 2007
    If its turned around really quickly, its usually an indication that it was just a coach problem and the program was on really solid footing. That's a rare occurrence. Usually bad coaches are in place long enough to do serious damage, like Muschamp, Mullen and Mac did to us.

I would argue that LSU and Notre Dame are not turnarounds. They are solid programs with really good recruiting that had a change at the top. In LSU's case, it was O's inability to replace two great assistants and an alleged indiscretion that got him canned. I'd love to be two years removed from a Natty, as opposed to 14. There's nothing wrong there and that's why Brian Kelly packed up and headed to Red Stick.

The jury's out on Washington and TCU. TCU had a longtime coach and stability, which slid in his last few years. Check back in a year or two and see if their success is maintained.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. tommyuf21

Apr 8, 2007
    They're just in denial as to how much this program has slid backwards over the last 14 years. I think we're in agreement that this is a rebuild.

A rebuild doesn't always take place after a 2-10 season. I'd compare our 6-7 in 2021 to Dumb Doug's 4-7 that got him canned in 1978. No one can argue that we were a broken program then.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nobody I know is preventing him from doing his job. Tell the AD to tell his former coach to manage games like a coach that knows what’s he’s doing. I can only imagine the threads on other team’s boards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nonetheless there are some red flags. It will be quite a thing if we pull the upset tomorrow. We all need that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Jeez, plenty of the greats lose in year one too. What is your goal here? What are our negative fans wanting to prove? If Vandy beats the Vols this weekend, will that matter to their assessment of how terrible our historic terrible loss to Vandy is? Our course it won't - they'll move on to something else to complain about.
    The world has changed, the portal and NIL make college football success extremely volatile, and we have a coach that approaches these things with innovation and process. Exactly what UF needs right now. But do I think our addled fanbase can freak this up? Yes - they can and will and the pressure is on and you can bet the trolls will be coming out of the woodwork if we lose tomorrow night. But please - let's talk some more about how the most historic ever Vandy loss proves everything you want it to prove. That our recruiting momentum and overall positive vibes are a mirage. Our fanbase is ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    THIS is exactly what I'm talking about: "I'm a better fan than you because you're negative, addled, trolls, and ridiculous"

I'm gonna start referring to these types as maggards.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. partdopy

partdopy GC Hall of Fame

Feb 1, 2012
    Article makes the crazy presumption that gator fans are somehow keeping him from doing the job. Are they storming the practice field or blocking his car or something?

As far as I knew, dealing with both happy and unhappy fans is part of "doing the job", if that job is one of an extremely highly paid public figure. Weird article. The guy makes $600k a month working for the states flagship public University, I'd bet he's fine with unhappy fans complaining online. If it effects him personally enough to inhibit his job performance he should probably look into other careers. Zook probably still has connections in the Ocala banking world.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. LTG61

LTG61 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    It was all my fault. While watching the game, I tried to press the closed-captioning button on my remote. But, I accidentally pressed the button labeled prevent-coaching, instead.

Sorry, everybody.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Well then go on reading those posts about how absolutely historically bad, I mean ultra specially bad and catastrophic our Vandy loss is and the doom it portends and I'll just have to find a way to go on living with this terrible "Maggard" stigma you've heaped on me.

14. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah - Bear Bryant never lost to Vandy!! (didn't actually look that up but I'm sure someone will) :)

15. grouchygator

grouchygator Central Florida Basement Dweller VIP Member

Jan 6, 2019
    My question is;
    Who is stopping him?
    Did a contingent from GC lock him our of his office?

16. benheb

benheb GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Tommy, even if you don't like Napier as a coach, he is proving that the right guy can recruit here. If Mullen could do that we would have been fine. But even with Mullen's unsustainable approach, we had what could reasonably called success. Not Spurrier Meyer success but 3 New Year Bowls would make the vast majority of programs happy. Just disagreeing with your characterization of the program being broken

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Nobody is trying to “boost themselves up” by standing behind our new coach through a predictably difficult season. A large part of our fan base grabs the torches and pitchforks every time their wishes aren’t met. It’s not “virtue signalling” to push back at these drama queens and show a little patience.

We’ve been through 3 head coaches in the last 10 years - the revolving door approach clearly does not work. We have a solid dude in there now who unfortunately inherited a depleted roster and who also needs to sort out his staff after his first season at the wheel, while also climbing the steep learning curve himself transitioning into his first P5 gig. We “virtue signalers” are simply urging to give this man time to build his team essentially from scratch.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    While that’s true losing to a weak ass Vandy team, barely getting by USF (a terrible team by every measure) and letting UK out coach us in the second half isn’t something UF fans should have to just accept regardless of where the program is.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    That’s the prevailing line of defense for the Napier lovers, it literally is what they have to hope for because if it’s not true they are very scared inside.

20. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    LSu played the closest to our schedule.
    UT
    Head to head game
    TAAM
    FSU
    they also didn’t play Vandy and got Bama and Ole miss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.