Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Koch’s are backing Haley

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Nov 28, 2023.

1. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Not sure if you are serious but if so you may play a part in his re-election. Similar to those who voted for Jill Stein in 2016.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    He would probably run as a third party candidate so that he continue his ongoing grift from MAGA supporters helping his campaign - to help pay his legal bills.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    I will be doing exactly this in TX. I don’t know why more people don’t vote cross party in primaries where they can.

Here is a case where a moderate Republican Mississippi senator got democrats to help win a primary from a tea party challenger.

Cochran Holds Off Tea Party Challenger in Mississippi (Published 2014)

• Like Like x 2
  4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007

Yes, yall did EXACTLY this in 2016, especially the part about shitting your britches and whining about how the country couldn't possibly EVER survive 4 years of Trump...

Yet here we are. Quite possibly again even.

(Meanwhile, yall installed a Chineese zombie puppet who's selling us off piece meal chasing some green phantom and blowing up our debt to help the chicoms take global control, while the world slips into WW III).

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Do any of the things Trump says he will do concern you, like arresting or executing political opponents, putting aside the constitution to reinstate himself, firing all non political federal administrative employees and replacing them with his cronies, using the US military to carry out his objectives within the US?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Makes sense. She is basically Nikki Bush.

7. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Like he did last time around? Like how he locked Hillary up? Like he made Mexico pay for a wall?

I'm way more concerned about about the travesties the Left has actually done and continues to do, than the hypotheticals that they project on their 'orange Satan' boogie man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    -I'm sure Mayor Eric Adams is concerned about Trump attacking his political opponents or critics. . . although he might be a bit busy at the moment.
    -Lincoln would be proud of Trump putting aside the Constitution. He suspended Habeas Corpus. Trump asked Congress to overturn an election. Even
    -Firing federal employees would be a good start, but as far as cronyism goes, I suppose both Bushes, Kennedy, Richard Nixon, and FDR could advise Trump on that one.
    -I supposed you could ask Kennedy about the CIA operating within the US...oops. I made a mistake there. The CIA is not the US military.

Trump is a moron, a bad candidate, a bad president, and a bad person. What he is not, is unique.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. UFLawyer

UFLawyer GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    I agree. However, for all the loyal Trump voters who refused to vote for the Republican nominee, I think there will be an equal number of Republicans and Independents and Democrats who will vote for the Republican nominee, because Trump is not the candidate. I think it would be close to a wash, but good point nonetheless.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I think I understand this argument that Donald Trump didn’t actually do many of the crazy things he claimed he would do and therefore should be viewed as an acceptable candidate, but I have to say that I couldn’t disagree more.

Where I am at my most conservative is in respect for American institutions, such reverence for democracy, separation of powers, peaceful transitions, rule of law, etc. Our faith in these kinds of institutions are really the guardrails that keep America from sliding into a sociopolitical ditch, and these institutions feel like they’re currently being held by a thread. It’s not some piece of parchment that keeps our republic alive; it’s our commitment to those rules inscribed on the parchment.

Trump meanwhile seems like he couldn’t respect these institutions any less. He in fact actively foments hatred for them at his rallies. Perhaps he hasn’t technically followed through by actually jailing his political opponents or refusing to leave office, but never should we be handing over our nation to someone who even flirts with these ideas. It’s like giving a guy the key your house after hearing him joke all day about kidnapping your child, arguing that “He didn’t actually tie up Josh and put him in a black van, honey!” These institutions are our most cherished possessions, and they deserve only the most committed caretakers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Sure. All sound points...in a vacuum.

But we're talking about party A vs party B. 2 choices.

One guy runs smack, talks shit, governs competently.

The other guy/party actually did and does the shit the guy who just runs smack, runs smack about.

TBL: AXNs > words.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. WestCoastGator

WestCoastGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Governs competently? Drumpf is not just stupid, but illiterate. Not just amoral, but evil. Guy was and is the laughingstock of the international community. Anybody who still supports that POS needs to have their head examined.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Trump governed competently? I want some of what you are smoking. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    Just so I understand, are you saying you would support him doing those things I listed, or you don’t support those things, but you don’t think he is serious about those things?

If it is the ladder, do you think the possible reason he didn’t do those things is he didn’t want to, or he just couldn’t? Is it possible this time around he may be able to do some of those things, given the changing nature of the courts, and state local government, with more people more sympathetic to MAGA themes and Trump?

Finally while I understand you will never support a person like Biden politically, what has he and Democrats done that rates as a travesty, and radically different than what Trump did?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    This is an understandable viewpoint, and it is almost ubiquitously shared. I readily admit that I don’t feel inundated with candidates for whom I’d be proud to report to President Washington in the afterlife that I had supported.

I do want there to be more to our choices. One must employ so many background assumptions that I don’t feel qualified to say what is competent government. Let’s just say reasonable minds can disagree here. On the topic of Biden though, I think your claim is wrong. No doubt Biden has flouted the constitution, but I don’t think that Biden is quite jailing his enemies, resisting peaceful transition of power, or taking control by violence. He did upset me with that anti-maga speech, but since those were just words, I guess it didn’t bother you. I however think that ideas rule the world, and when the president advocates hate for other kinds of Americans, it is already a mortal transgression regardless of whether he actually “does” something in addition.

But this is beside the point, as I’m not advocating that you vote for Biden. I am actually just thinking why it’s dangerous to vote for Trump, and I disagree that there are only two options. There will be 3-5 candidates on the ballot, I would guess, and we are able to write in whomever we like. Now if you agree with Trump and disagree with me about the importance of institutions, then your vote should be clear. However, if you agree that he isn’t a good caretaker of our republic and is just better than Biden, I would ask that you join me in looking for a better way to spend our votes. Because I think saying that “Trump is better than Biden” is short sighted thinking, as the next next four years is nowhere near as important as the next 400.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I don't want to side-track this too much, but I'm curious which things you're referring to here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    too strong for me, never was big on psychedelics that led to a disconnect from reality.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You could say he has at times gone overboard with executive orders, just like Trump, Obama and GWB. I don’t think that is the same thing has flouting the constitution though.

19. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    They're gonna say he's trying to lock up his political rival. Because clearly Trump did nothing wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  20. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    You could make the case from a conservative perspective he governed competently - good economy, tax cuts, no wars, SCOTUS judges, etc. This assumes you ignore all of his antics.

The problem with the above is it gives Trump susbstantial credit for all those things, because they happened when he was president. But then when it came to Covid, he was an absolute disaster, but they give him a pass because that was a special extraordinary circumstance.