Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kirby to ATL (currently rumor)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by G8torsRUL, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The NFL seems to think that the players are more valuable than the coaches. What the hell did professionals know anyway?

2. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    I don't think this rumor will play out, but I can understand why it could given the current state of CFB. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to go through player evaluations and recruiting kids for years, get them onboard, develop them, and just when you get to the point of on-field production where your job as coach is really judged, they transfer to other teams. That's got to feel like a lot of wasted work. If the 25 number in the portal is correct, that's nearly a third of his team.

At least in the NFL it is largely player evaluations and then you have the player locked in on contracts. Everything else is x and o's and you don't even have to deal with misbehaving players as the league generally takes care of that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    The process is having enough money to buy the best team. All you have to do is look at your recruiting ranking and that tells you all you need to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It only matters which 25 players we are talking about. How many of those players were going to be major contributors the following season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Fresno, CA
    True. How about the players we’ve lost to the Portal? Any of them projected to contribute next year?

• Like Like x 1
  6. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    We are in get a raise season.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    I don't think UGA will be hurting next year, but not all of them are being pushed out by any means either. There's a couple of 5 stars in the portal as well as starting inside LB. In a fully developed program, the Jrs and Srs do the heavy lifting and most leaving seem to be So or FR. At a minimum, it will affect depth some.

My point is, that's more work on a HC to go recruit/evaluate the portal all while still recruiting HS and keeping your current roster. I can see how that would feel chaotic and being on top as UGA is right now, you have to know your players get contacted regularly through secondary means.

8. 31g8r

31g8r GC Hall of Fame

Oct 20, 2013
    The portal is destabilizing teams from the inside. Highly ranked HS players (not top 100 kids) arent sitting 2 waiting they are are jumping for $ based off of association with their current school.

potentially losing 25 kids is the equivalent of an entire signing class and the results manifest in the near future. See florida post Trask year.

This mess is the football version of 1 and done (without the leap to professional level). The chaos of rebuilding a roster below the starter level yearly is going to drive coaches and programs insane. Think of the massive distaste boosters are have paying a kid decent money who never contributes to the end product and then multiply that by 10-15 yearly while paying top dollar to new “recruits and transfers” this simply isnt a sustainable model beyond 2-3 years

We may be an outlier with our approach wrt $ allocation and the majority of kids coming here for more than instant gratification. Kinda a mid-major (basketball reference) football approach valuing the development and maturity over 1 and dones

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. swamp life

swamp life All American

Aug 12, 2017
    Jacksonville
    I think most college coaches wonder if they have what it takes to win in the big league..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorwalrus

gatorwalrus GC Hall of Fame

Sep 24, 2022
    Given the current landscape, the NFL looks better than ever. Got to believe there are a lot of coaches that see not having to spend every waking moment recruiting HS, portal, and your own team as a vastly superior job opportunity, even with a slight pay cut. I think it is a matter of time before we see a college program bring in a GM type position to relieve some of the current burden.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ufmc84

ufmc84 All American

Aug 13, 2017
    I’ll wait for Hoop Shizz’s take on this before I get excited or disappointed.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It’ll make booster think before they pay to develop a hs kid for the portal. Either shop the portal of try to judge a kids loyalty. It’s understandable to portal in year three if you aren’t going to get significant playing time. Trask almost never got an opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ofg8r

Ofg8r GC Legend

Dec 11, 2010
    Southern California
    NCAA has created a near perfect mess. I expect they are reviewing the result to see if there is anything else they can do to finish the job.

As a Gator fan since about 1951, with multiple family members who graduated from the institution, I look at the current environment and ask myself, "loyalty to what, and whom?"

Out of habit I still cheer for whoever is wearing the O&B, but I hesitate to pick a favorite player, because he might be playing for an arch rival next season if the pay is better.

Of course CBN may also be in the Gator coach's dustbin as well. Given the tenor of the comments, folks on this board will not agree; but at the moment my primary loyalty is to CBN. I think he is a quality individual who is trying to do this the right way; and I hope he succeeds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. GornGator

GornGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Winter Park, FL.
    Just saw that Beck is coming back for next year, so there's that........LOL

GO GATORS!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. proudgator1973

proudgator1973 VIP Member

The only other thing that the Falcons can offer that UGA can't match or top is a piece of equity in the franchise. I believe that is something some coaches in the NFL get in addition to salary.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    It's the only thing (NFL job) I can see him leaving for. . . and I still don't see him leaving for at least a decade, probably more. Not so sure that he would even be much of a difference maker in the NFL as his strength is recruiting and culture, not schemes and tactics.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Yeah, but Georgia is one of the few places where it is NOT a mess and one of, IMO, 3-5 programs set to completely break away from the pack.

18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Unless you're Georgia (or Alabama or OSU) where you dominate in those categories.

19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Just as much if not more work, but all football (not ass kissing kids), mostly watching film and developing schemes and gameplans.

20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    That's the problem. To us, they are "enemies". To the kids, it's just another team where I can try to make it to the NFL. It's no different than taking a better deal to move to the Chargers over the Broncos. There is ZERO loyalty in that respect. For further evidence, look at where the top kids in FL go every year. It isn't UF, FSU or UM, which is just mind boggling for me.

• Agree Agree x 1