Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kentucky is a Mirror

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorraider, Sep 30, 2023.

1. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    Does it really matter if they all lose to Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee on the road? We all know who they DID play last Saturday. Say they lose all four games to finish 8-4 this year and win their bowl game to make it 9-4. Don't you think we would LOVE that record this year, or the last couple of years? It seems like only a couple years ago when Gator Nation called for a coach's head for winning 8 games.

For me, it seems like we have to do a few things:

1) Keep our recruits on board. Billy is doing a great job getting them interested in Florida, but we must make sure they stay.

2) Keep our current players interested and motivated to be Gators. No more of this "I'm gonna save myself for the combine" stuff.

3) Close off the Portal. The top players need to want to stay at Florida.

4) Master the Portal for incoming stars. That requires outstanding talent evaluation.

and

5) Understand the NIL and exploit it to its fullest. This does not mean throwing good money after bad; the boosters will quickly get tired of that. This too requires both evaluation and a certain amount of tact. We can no longer say "If you don't want to be a Gator, then you're Gator bait." We have lost that clout a long time ago.

Can Billy and Strickland (or whoever makes the final decisions) do this? As a longtime Gator, I hope he can. Like Zook and Muschamp, I like Billy a lot, primarily because he has the work ethic and the fact that he REALLY wants to be here. But I've had to painfully, regretfully relieve soldiers and officers whose hearts were in the right place, were decent human beings, and worked their arses off to excel, but simply didn't have what it took to excel in their jobs. As they say, in the final analysis, we have a business to run, and chances are good that if the job isn't getting done, they would be the first to know it...

2. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    That all might happen, and it actually makes it worse, for us. They absolutely curb stomped the once mighty Gators. UF is looking up the 5 hole of Kentucky now, and it’s not a very pleasant view.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    That was the point, it's not like KY is some kind of world beater and challenging for conference and national supremacy. It's that our level has dropped down below theirs. As you say, having a 9 win season would be a godsend.

• Agree Agree x 1