Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kentucky is a Mirror

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorraider, Sep 30, 2023.

1. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You are almost right but you have the wrong team you are comparing to.....Kentucky has all the elements that 'Bama has. The difference is 'Bama recruits much better athletes than Kentucky. In case you have not noticed.....so do we. You just have to be patient. The 'Bama formula has proven quite successful.

2. kycat270

kycat270 Freshman

Sep 25, 2023
    I think if Napier changed it to more that he'd like his teams to be more physical like Stoops teams rather than saying he wants to be like Kentucky, it'd make more sense.

Stoops model for what he wants it kind of just a poor man's imitation of Kirby and UGA...but we're doing it with top 30 classes rather than top 5 classes. If you all ran a program like Stoops, but consistently had top 5-10 recruiting classes, then it could be a program that could contend for a title. Our style can be dominating if you have the talent to run it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. eightiesgator

eightiesgator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2017
    I certainly agree with that, but this day and age, a team like Bama will KEEP their recruits because they win 11+ games a year, every year. since 2008 (15 years). When teams finish
    with losing records, particularly if it is perceived that the best players aren't playing or the coaches aren't utilizing their talents to the fullest capacity, they are more apt to de-commit or put their ear to the ground (primarily towards the rich Lone Star State) for more NIL money. I'm not sure we have a great handle on either the Portal or the NIL...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HisDoc

HisDoc GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Have you seen next year's schedule? I'm not sure the Kansas City Chiefs could have a winning record with that schedule.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  5. atlmover

atlmover GC Legend

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I think (have no idea) that after Urban and the stuff that came along with those players the admin lost its desire to win at all costs. I do believe you need to have top to bottom buy in on win at all costs to stay close to the top of college football.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    If Napier cannot go 7-5 in year 3, what is the point of him coaching the Gators in 2025?

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. AustinGator1

AustinGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Agreed. However, Napier is playing the best athletes as opposed to some of our prior coaches. He is letting the young guys play. Pretty sure that is why he was able to salvage a top 15 class a year ago and now he has a top 5 recruiting class on the way for 24. The recruits know what is up. By the way Kentucky was not close to our classes in those two years. Right now we are even ahead of 'Bama for our 24 class. Patience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    There was a time we would look forward to a schedule like that. We really haven't caught a single break in the past decade. More recently, we have had our rotating teams on their up years more often than not. We missed a chance to really add to Fsu's downturn the covid year as we had to drop them for yet another aTm game. A few years later and now we in fact have a terrible schedule at a terrible time while we struggle to restore our program and our rivals are playing patsies

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Agree completely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Agree but I don’t think anyone in their right mind believes we should fire BN now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. ETGator

ETGator Long-Time Gator Stuck In East Tennessee Moderator VIP Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Sadly we have seen the usual suspects try starting that. You guys haven't seen it much because we delete those posts.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. Mikog8tor

Mikog8tor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2010
    I saw a stupid article from Athlon saying fans wanted it or something and pulling some twitter posts that are critical. Then the next article is how LSU fans want Kelly gone. Just anything to get clicks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Which actions are you talking about? The building of the indoor practice facility? The building of the football complex? The planned renovation of the stadium? The backing for the massive support personnel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  14. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    10 years late
    15 years late, and both now FAR secondary to NIL opportunities in recruiting
    A potentially massive decrease in the number of seats...I wonder what expectations are driving that thought process?

Yes, all those actions tell a story.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. wyldcrocodyl

wyldcrocodyl Sophomore

Nov 29, 2014
    Exactly what coach does not want a team that can dominate on both lines of scrimmage? What defense prefers not to get pressure rushing only four guys?? Florida got whipped at the line... every coach wants that... Liam Cohen's playbook has just as many pages as Lane Kiffin's. The 'Cats did not need them all.

16. HankTheMightyGator

HankTheMightyGator GC Hall of Famer

Apr 3, 2007
    Kentucky will probably go 8-4 this year, 9-3 if they’re lucky, with 7-5 just as likely. I wish people would stop with the let’s-be-patient-like-Kentucky garbage. They’re an also-ran, middle-of-the-road SEC team. If that’s what we aspire to, that’s what’s we’re going to get.

But, hey! No coaching carousel! I’m sure there’s lots of great stuff for the man cave that comes with that, like plaques to hang on the wall for every year the coach has been there and trophies for being willing to delay gratification ad infinitum.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Kentucky is the mirror - and we are way behind the rear view mirror and the distance from last years game to this years game is widening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Never ever ever in my life did I imagine the day when Kentucky fans drop by to provide advice on how to build our football program.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. floridagatorman

floridagatorman VIP Member

Sep 30, 2021
    Definitely agree and I'll go a little further. Kentucky is basically a photocopy of average Florida teams from the last 12 years. Everyone is looking up at Georgia. Florida, USCe, and Kentucky have all been building teams with competing for SECE titles in mind. USCe and Kentucky have absolutely made moves to get a little closer to that. With Mullen and Napier, Florida has picked up speed in the opposite direction.

20. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2020
    Wake me up after they played UGAG, Bama and TN this year. 3 losses and will probably lose another one somewhere down the road. Maybe Mizzou.

• Agree Agree x 1