Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kelly cleans house at LSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ThePlayer, Jan 3, 2024.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Define nothing? Win a championship, nope he hasn’t done that at LSU. He did win the SEC west in his first season in BR, beat Alabama, has gone 10-4 & 10-3 in his first 2 seasons and produced a Heisman Trophy winner QB. Not bad, even more so considering the mess he walked into over there, only had 49 scholarship players and a lot of discontent.

I’m not swooning for Kelly, just acknowledging he’s done fairly well, considering all. Meanwhile, back at…….

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    It’s because it always is. I don’t believe that coach is making any of these changes willingly. Kelly is cleaning house because he chooses to do so. BN is pressured into making changes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    I would definitely take Kelly’s accomplishments over our own the past 2 years. No question about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So, when YOU write the checks - he and his associates are NOT cheap - and YOU receive what he has produced, you are content? That is good to know.

Um, you DO write those sized checks for UF, correct?

5. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    What??? Do you write the checks? Sounds like you do though.. What an odd angle and take. smh

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I agree with you post.
    Let's take it one step further.
    Kelly is the Blob Feeder, but not the Head Blob Feeder.
    The Blob Feeder maybe a multi head entity. I am referring to the school's athletic budget, booster donations, and NIL collectives.
    • At the top is the LSU Athletic Director, Scott Woodard. "USA TODAY Sports recently released revenue and expense figures for 2022. According to its database, the Tigers ranked sixth nationally in total revenue at roughly $199.3 million. That total ranks behind Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, Michigan and Georgia."
    • The next blob feeder is the Tiger Athletic Foundation. Total revenue for 2021 was about $68 million.
    On the other hand:
    • The University of Florida's Athletic budge for the 2022-23 year was $190 million
    • The Gators Booster in the past 8 years have donated $461 million. That averages out to $61.5 million per year.
    Basically, both schools and their boosters are not that far apart on having the money to feed the blob. It does appear that LSU has a slight edge.

The one item that I have not located (yet) is the value/worth of the NIL collectives for both schools. The NIL collective for LSU is the Bayou Traditions and for UF it is now called Florida Victorious.

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    Kelly wasted a Heisman season with a terrible defense. I'm not comparing Napier with Kelly at this point in their careers. Kelly has been slighted by many but the guy wins everywhere he's been but he makes mistakes and wasting a Heisman year with a terrible defense despite having some real talent there should be criticized every bit as much as people like to criticize Napier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gatorborn

Gatorborn GC Legend

Jul 11, 2014
    South Carolina
    You gotta give us props for being consistent.;)

9. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    You plainly think Kelly has produced what he costs. I think LSU is trying to buy a NC. I do not think they are spending HUGE amounts of money to be a SEC West contender. And yes, he is a sort of junior version of what aTm tried (is trying?) to do.

My take: if UF spent that much money and got to go to Atlanta and got nothing else except for spending even more money, the fans here would think they are being ripped off. Would you?

And to the mess known as major college football, it does appear as if UF is trying to be "a little bit pregnant" and that is probably going to be less-than-ideal. And if it decides that it is time to go all "LSU" or "aTm :eek: " then I WILL find something else to do than root for a team that is not what I want to root for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Summary: Despite the buyouts, Matt is no longer in the House, Run Lindsey Run, Kerry Cooks off, and Steeples chases them all. ;)

11. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    Kelly just made Missouri's Baker the highest paid assistant in college football.

12. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    My take is if UF spent half of what we spent and didn’t go to a bowl for two years and watched every rival beat us two years in a row and trotted out an abysmal product every game day I would feel ripped off…and guess what I do.

13. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I’ll give you this, you make a lot of assumptions. I’m not nor have I advocated for UF to spend boatloads of money, try to buy a NC or become one of the factory teams. UF will never be one of those programs. The only thing I would like to see them spend more on is for better assistants. I don’t have a figure to quote but more than what it is now. It’s very much needed, and would likely pay dividends, imho.

I did some quick math:
    For the last 2yrs LSU spent about $1mil on their HC for each win.
    For the last 2yrs UF spent about $1.3mil on their HC for each win.

Who’s return has been better?

If UF had spent more (similar to LSU), won 20 games, made it to Atlanta, etc, the last 2yrs…..I believe this place would look far different right now, Gator Nation would feel much different and virtually no one, except maybe you, would be complaining about said $$$$ spent. The brand wouldn’t be getting kicked to no end either. It can’t be just win a NC or it’s not worth it, only one team a year does that. Again, UF is not going all in, and we all know that.

60 Minutes did a profile on Nick Saban several years ago. The interviewer asked about the massive contract Nick had, highest paid HC in college football. The President of the University said it was the best investment the school had ever made and was being returned many times over. Unfortunately, NS’s don’t grow on trees.

14. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Number 1 player/QB commits today after number 1 RB commits earlier this week. Good momentum for 2025 HS recruiting. Should attract a lot of kids.

15. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    The question is pretty simple, if you choose to think about it.

IF we had spent WAY more for the Kelly model and got the same ROI as LSU, would you feel "decent" or would you feel damn cheated? Methinks most of the Gator fans would have wanted more. And so, is he really a better model than Napier?

I am not saying Napier is what we desire, just that if Kelly's record were to be ours, AND all he does is spend more and more money but hits his ceiling....he has NOT won anything huge in his entire career....would you be content to be "not in the damn basement"?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  16. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry I did not read all of your post. I will only reply to what I saw.

So, you would embrace a couple of more "efficiency points" for UF instead of challenging for a NC? That is what you desire? Just a bit more efficiency for the buck?

Methinks you are a classic example of "the grass is always greener on the other side" and that is fine. You are in fine company.

17. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    That says it all, you then go on to make more assumptions, that aren’t true. Later, this is a big waste of time.

18. tegator80

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    So, what did I miss, because I am interested in other things?

19. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    This is reasonable and I do understand the fan's frustrations with these last two years. We'll see if we turn a corner in one of the hardest schedules we've ever had to play in 2024.