Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. philobeddoe

philobeddoe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That's an assumption on your part …. made to support your belief/position on this matter. Yet, you have no idea how this matter would have been handled 35 years ago. Fact of the matter is …. you don't even know if her recollection is accurate.

We'll just disagree on this as we do on most matters.

Any problem Ford experiences has from levelling this allegation in the manner in which she did (letters to politicians) …. are on her and Diane Feinstein. Ford not going to the properly law enforcement agency was a significant error in judgement on her part. And that liberal hack, Feinstein, sitting on the letter and not forwarding same to the remainder of the committee and the appropriate investigative arm thereof at the beginning of Aug18 is repugnant ….. and reeks of politicization of the matter.

So please excuse my skepticism and that I don't embrace the liberal talking points and agenda as regards these allegations. Far too many (intentional) mistakes and "political stench" as regards how democrats have handled the issue.
    BTW …. interesting that you have no qualms with how this matter has adversely impacted Judge Kavanaugh and his family. Embracing the "we liberals are all about the well being of women and children …. unless they're conservatives", are you?

I expect Ford will be fine as the newest liberal martyr, so poorly treated by those damnable hate-filled, misogynistic trumpsters, republicans, and conservatives.

:rolleyes:

2. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    That is a part of the story that seems strange to me. Why would a girl attend a gathering/party of four boys by herself? There is no reason that a woman/girl should not be able to do that and feel safe and be free from harassment. In my time in high school and college I rarely ever saw a woman by herself with a group of men unless she was dating one of them.

I've seen some reports that Dr. Ford was wearing a swimsuit and in her letter she references her clothes. Has anyone seen anything definite where Dr. Ford or her lawyer have stated she was in a swimsuit? If so, that would make more sense. She meets two/four guys at a pool, they tell her that they are going to go to someone's house to have a few beers, she should come along, she agrees, and they go to the house.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  3. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Where are you getting that she was there by herself with four boys?

And if she were, what do you think that means?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I have seen articles that have said swimsuit, some clothes and some with both. Clothes over her swimsuit.

I have also read that she had no recollection how she heard about the party or ended up there. There is a mention of a country club and pre cell phone, word of mouth.

I think journalists have taken liberties and filled in blanks as well as her own lawyers.

From WaPo

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  5. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    Did she ever tell her parents about this? I can see not going to the police, but I would hope she would have told her mom and dad.

6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    LOL.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    So, anyone know what to make on the scuttlebutt that a number of Politico reporters are tweeting?

Namely that Ed Whelan (former Scalia clerk, former DOJ official, former general counsel for the Senate Judiciary Committee, current NRO writer) has tweeted that within one week compelling evidence will come forward that completely vindicates Kavanaugh and that Feinstein will be apologizing to him, and that three people who have spoken to Whelan and Leonard Leo (the FedSoc executive VP) in recent days say that they are "100 percent confident" that they have obtained evidence that will exonerate Kavanaugh?

8. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    No she didn't, she has said (not in the letter) but elsewhere she was drinking and was afraid she would get in trouble with her parents.

9. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    5 people? Sounds like a lame "party" to me.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Avoiding telling mom and dad is one of the reasons people don't go to the police.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The irony of this is that Judge Kavanaugh wrote an opinion attesting to the effectiveness of polygraphs as a tool of law enforcement. One of the uses for it according to him is, and I quote: "As the Government notes, law enforcement agencies use polygraphs to test the credibility of witnesses and criminal defendants."

12. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    has she given interviews other than the one to the Washington Post?

13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Only if they're guilty.

14. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    It's been widely reported that Dr. Ford told the Washington Post that there were five people at the party. It was her and four other boys, three of whom have been identified as Kavanaugh, Judge, and Smyth. I've seen it mentioned that there might have been 6th person there, a girl, but nothing confirming that.

If it is accurate, I don't think it really means anything. I might think it was a little weird but I also remember being in high school and can understand a girl going into her sophomore year being flattered to be asked to hang out with incoming senior boys and wanting to do it.

15. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    He said it. I'm wondering why we have to wait a week.

16. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    I thought this was a good take on it. It is from Hot Air, so it will obviously be favorable to Kavanuagh.

Politico: Insiders are "100 percent confident" they have info that will exonerate Kavanaugh

17. PerSeGator

PerSeGator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2014
    Wait a minute -- I thought the party line was that it's pointless to investigate because nothing can prove or disprove the allegation? I guess it's time to walk that back?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Anita Hill was already an academic with a good lifestyle before she accused Thomas. She didn't gain anything. In fact, they ripped her life apart and attacked her relentlessly. They turned her life upside down for daring to tell the truth about Clarence Thomas.

19. Jbarrett1359

Jbarrett1359 Sophomore

Oct 27, 2008
    Coming from HRC supporters, it doesn't mean much.

You are also assuming that everyone that voted for Trump had the same values, thats an incorrect and dangerous assumption.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    From her actual letter. She said 5 people were at the gathering herself and 4 others. She told her therapist that there were 4 boys at the party. 2 downstairs and BK and MJ in the room.
    So that puts her in a house at 15 drinking with 4 boys.