Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    "I'm a lawyer, therefore I'm right, and you're wrong..." :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Given the insane mob-like behavior of many righties …. I doubt it will ever get better. IMO, the radical republicans are hell-bent on dividing the nation all the while demonizing and denigrating anyone who isn't white, male, and conservative.

Works both ways.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
  3. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    She's spineless.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If that's the case, then over half of college students today are guilty of this...

Does that indicate a drinking problem? Of course not... It's status quo... it's normalized... doesn't mean it's healthy... but it's the cultural norm... and it's also the cultural norm for people to grow out of it...

Some may consider excessive drinking alcoholism that translated to later adult years, or an addiction of sorts... There's no blatantly clear standard of excessive drinking...

It's relative based on age, social circles, and tolerance...

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It's more like, "Don't try to throw legal jargon at me because you assume I won't know enough to call you out on how wrong you are. I'm a lawyer. I actually know the particulars behind that legal jargon." You're going to have to come up with a better argument.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
  6. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    It may have been inevitable due to the advent of the internet. We arent dependent on 5 companies for our news. I think this is a long term positive but a short term problem.

7. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    And we still have no way of knowing any of this stuff happened with Kavanaugh in the first place. Hearsay that is contradicted by other hearsay. Guilty until proven innocent though, right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I don't have to do anything... You're assuming I'm trying to change your mind...

I'm trying to point out how obscenely flawed your reasoning is...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    Speaking of mobs, when's the next Trump rally?!

Luckily for these fine mobsters, Trump has their back for legal bills, so it's all good!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    You're trying to point out how "obscenely flawed" my reasoning is by entering my area of expertise and throwing terms at me that you clearly don't understand very well? That seems like a really bad idea. Do you, but you aren't going to get far with that argument. You can preach to your choir, but that's not saying much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    The presumption of innocence is the principle that one is considered innocent unless proven guilty. It was traditionally expressed by the Latin maxim ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat (“the burden of proof is on the one who declares, not on one who denies”).

12. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Franken, I respect his actions. I think he could have ridden it out. His actions werent unforgivable and most were poor jokes. The others were scumbags. If you dont think that this division is going to heal and every nominee in the future is going to have to survive a character assassination. I dont know what to say.

13. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Reid ended for the filibuster for all judicial nominees except Supreme Court justices. McConnell began circumventing Constitutional norms when as minority leader he used the filibuster to block virtually every one of Obama's judicial nominees. Slightly off-topic, but instead of limiting the filibuster it's time to return to the talking filibuster for both legislation and appointments and nominations requiring confirmation by the Senate. When the minority can block any action by the Senate solely through proclamation the net result is a dysfunctional body. A talking filibuster actually requires some sacrifice by the party attempting to block legislation and would be self-limiting by its very nature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Good. That is deserved. When I was in college, a white girl claimed to have been mugged by a black guy. It later came out that she did so as an excuse to get out of an exam. False accusations do happen, but they're also statistically unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    Harry sez Hi.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Would you settle for given the insane moblike actions of the left and the right its not going to get better?

17. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    A ton of college kids drink to excess. And yes it is a problem.

Obesity due to fast food consumption and lack of exercise is also normalized in this country. It's a problem. Just as excessive drinking is a problem. The fact it is normalized doesn't make it ok.

To your point on people growing out of it, hopefully most do. Some never do as they are addicts.

But for those who do grow out of excessive drinking, there is no need to lie about it. Which is again the main point here.

18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I don't think every nominee will have to survive character assassination. I do think every nominee is going to be attacked by the opposition party on anything they can drudge up, but that's nothing new.

19. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Aug 31, 2009
    It sounds like 1/2 the posters on this board are lawyers.