Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I don’t view him guilty. I support investigating the claim though, to be sure. You view her as a liar without a real basis. I found her believable and him a twit but doesn’t mean he’s guilty. Would like it looked into.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Well I’m a big fan of skepticism, so I’m inherently skeptical of Ford, but I’m also going to be skeptical of attacks on Ford. And extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Until now, i wasn’t thinking that there needed to be a reason not to talk about having an FBI investigation into a woman for claiming to be sexually assaulted. However, if there was an FBI investigation into her allegations. I’d assume a big part of that would be investigating Ford, right?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I disagree. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    A 3 day investigation would be great. They usually take longer though, don't they?

5. kdm

kdm Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Believe whatever makes you happy. Any reasonably objective and semi-intelligent person could pull his testimony apart. I don't blame him for not supporting the investigation, because even a cursory investigation of all this would confirm that he is a liar on many counts. He was repeatedly lying about all kinds of things. However, I'm reminded of a quote frequently attributed to Mark Twain so I'll leave you all to it.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  6. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    I thought about that a minute after I hit the "post reply" button. I should have said "If not, we don't know that the reason is based entirely...". My mistake, thanks for pointing that out.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The problem is the confirmation schedule was already set when the allegation was FINALLY brought forward.

Not the ideal timing and we are seeing the result.

You can make arguments all day long that there's plenty of time, but at the end of the day - this should have been investigated months ago, if anyone was seriously interested in justice.

This is messed up because of politics - and the Democrats who were involved with this should bear the biggest portion of blame - by a mile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    As far as sexual assault, investigations haven't been done. We have multiple accusers and witnesses for the FBI to interview and to provide testimony to the committee. By all means have at it if you think that stuff should be proven before confirmation.

What we don't need is investigation into the meaning of the words Kavanaugh lied about, as they are well understood in context used. Nor do we need investigation into the witness statements he intentionally misrepresented over and over and over again in the hearing.

The dude lied out his ass. That's the only reason I'm saying investigation isn't necessary.

He already disqualified himself as unfit to serve on the USSC through his behavior in the hearing yesterday.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    I said this morning (probably only 26 pages back now) that I actually think at this point, Kavanaugh’s partisan persona yesterday is probably the biggest thing against him. I didn’t watch the whole thing, but those didn’t seem like Supreme Court level comments, IMO.

Did he lie? I think there’s a good chance. Even if he did lie about something like boof, would it be disqualifying for me? Maybe. I certainly don’t think a Supreme Court justice should be lying at all in front of congress, but lying about highschool yearbook stuff is certainly a different animal than lying about sexual assault.

Would be nice to clarify those things, nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  10. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    So she wants an investigation and he doesn’t.

She took a polygraph and he won’t.

11. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    ONE OF THE ODDEST EXCHANGES BETWEEN FORD AND MITCHELL

Ford: I took the test on the day of my Grandma’s funeral.
    Mitchell: Why did the polygrapher meet you at an airport hotel and not at his office?
    Ford: I had to get on an airplane right afterwards and had a tight schedule.
    Mitchell: Did you pay for the polygraph yourself?
    Ford: No.
    Mitchell: Do you know who did?
    Ford: Not yet.

FEW THINGS:
    - How do you not know who paid for your polygraph? It’s not like it’s an every day occurrence.
    - Why was she taking a polygraph the same day as her Grandma’s funeral? Weird.
    - Is it just me or does Ford spend more time on planes than a Boeing test pilot...?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks....just trying to tell it like it is.

People opinions are colored by their bias, for the most part.

I'm not immune.

But today ---- in looking at the big picture, for me - it's easy to see where this went wrong.

Poor timing!

• Like Like x 1
  13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I explained this during the hearing. Generally, the lawyers handle all the preparations for that. They then bill the client at a later time. Since Dr. Ford is reportedly being represented pro bono, I'm not sure if she'll be billed.

She took the polygraph then because she was about to leave the Maryland/DC area.

15. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Sure you don't. What you want and what Feinstein wants just happens to magically copy one another perfectly. Just a big coinkidink.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    “Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”

?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Bazza, you've been very reasonable throughout all of this. However, right is right, and wrong is wrong. The Democrats are to blame for not bringing it forward sooner. However, they don't bear the biggest portion of the blame if the Republicans push him through with no investigation. The Republicans have all the power to do the right thing here. If they don't, that's on them.

To use an analogy, if I punch you in the gut, I've wronged you. However, if you get up, go inside, retrieve your gun, and shoot me, you've escalated it. You can say I deserve some blame for you shooting me, but you deserve the most blame because you ultimately committed the greater wrong. Regardless, at the end of the day, I don't care who is more to blame. The Republicans are doing the wrong thing. The Democrats doing the wrong thing first doesn't justify that behavior. The timing is as ideal now as it was in July. There's no deadline coming up in the next week that isn't artificial.

Perjury is perjury. I can't abide a SCOTUS nominee doing that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    I don't think "who paid" is particularly odd. Do people normally pay for their own polygraph? Most likely the lawyer was in charge of that. He's going to bill that expense somewhere.

I don't think having someone else pay these legal expenses or "not knowing" is particularly odd. Do you not think Kavenaugh's legal expenses are being handled? Hell, he had $200K personal debts seemingly just wiped out in advance of his nomination (and I'm not sure there was ever a satisfactory explanation for HOW that happened, but in theory if some group just "paid it off" to clear the deck for him, I wouldn't have an issue so long as there wasn't corruption).

It certainly struck as a bit odd she did the test so close to her grandmother's funeral. That was the only thing that struck me as odd about that line of questioning. I was thinking doing it on an overly emotional day might taint the test a little bit, but I have assume polygraph experts know what they are doing.

19. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Can't this line of logic be applied to Dr. Ford's and the other even less "credible" allegations?

• Like Like x 2
  20. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    The great part about this thread is we don't have to listen to the pundits debate whom got the better of whom in yesterday's proceedings. The posts here spell that out for us quite clearly.