Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    Just a note on trade deficits and tariffs... You are right that broadly tariffed economies did poorly in the past and trade deficits are not always bad. But targeted tariffs are used by every country in the world to protect certain domestic industries, even within "free trade" agreements. They can also be used punitively to get another country to alter their trade practices. The tariff actions with China I think were sorely needed as nobody has really stood up to them in terms of market access issues, protection of IP, etc. They are not intended to be permanent, but simply to get China to commit to reforms that level the playing field so our businesses can prosper over there like their businesses do in our market. I don't necessarily agree with (or understand) all the actions taken on tariffs, but I think it's misrepresentative to talk about these actions in terms of the effects experienced by pre-common market Europe or something. There is a ton of opportunity in China that's locked up for the benefit of their state owned companies that benefit the politicians and their families and could significantly help our growth if we had similar access to compete as they do here.

2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    FWIW, I don't represent Dems and am aware that my feelings may not represent an effective campaign strategy either for Dems, or against Trump.

Trump more than likely will be the author of his own demise via impeachable offenses and/or mucking up the economy with his tariff wars, before I convince many (if any) to really consider the damage he does to our country with his bigotry, incessant deceit and myriad other character flaws, and political incompetence.

But we should not be going backwards in how we view and treat people in this country, and I don't want my family and friends to be victims of his encouragement of people who would do that. It's personal.

4. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Premium Member

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Three people saying that she said it was Kavanaugh, in addition to her husband, shows that she thinks it was Kavanaugh. That does not place Kavanaugh at the location and time that she says this happened nor does it change the fact that no one else has any recollection of Kavanaugh being at a party like Dr. Ford describes, including a life long friend of Dr. Ford who says she doesn't even know Kavanaugh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    In this current political climate, anything is possible. I hate to be so cynical, but that’s where we are. Could four people lie about something like this to keep Kavanaugh off the high court? Absolutely, in the time we are in, I can see that. Now, I’m not saying that is what is going on here. I’m just saying it can’t be dismissed as a possibility.

One thing we do know now is that Ford WAS following Kavanaugh’s footsteps years before he was nominated. Another poster scoffed at this very idea last night. Of course, she was. And it does beg the question: she knew he was a federal judge on the 2nd highest court in the land. Why was it not important then to bring these allegations to light? Was it only important once it became perhaps the most contentious SC confirmation battle in American history? Why so?

• Like Like x 1
  6. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Supposedly one of her witnesses spoke of emails about the matter from two years ago. It will be interesting to see if those emails can be produced or if they somehow got ... erased.

7. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
  8. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Did not one of her witnesses and friend since High School say she does not remember Kavanaugh or even remember seeing him at the party?

9. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
  10. llm85

llm85 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 1, 2011
    Naples
    What in the hell is a "judgment (ph) high school?"

11. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Doesn't mean she isn't telling the truth...

She just did herself little favors in waiting...

If you're ever going to come out, come out as soon as possible... That gives you the best chance, in my view...

Don't wait, don't have friendly things to say about the aggressor, don't maintain a relationship with that person, especially if they have no power over you, categorize your aggressor as a monster early and often...

I'm not saying that's what victims need to do... They can come out whenever they want... but the manner in which they do adds or detracts value to their allegations... Too many people on this board seem to be denying that...

Again, like Anita Hill... we don't know the truth...

If Thomas, today, had a trial regarding sexual harassment, I'd find him not guilty due to insufficient evidence...

If Hill were under trial for perjury... I'd find her not guilty due to insufficient evidence...

12. CaptUSMCNole

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    People who knew Kavanaugh from college and high school probably would.

13. LouisvilleGator

Oct 16, 2012
    Interesting. Considering she didn't even mention his name to her husband until 2012.

I mean, seriously guys, if my wife told me when we got married that she was sexually assaulted, I would be asking her whom it was for security purposes and I would have made sure I understood where that individual was in life at that time and followed his footsteps pretty closely thereafter. I would never give that individual the opportunity to harm or harass my wife again. I would take all precautions necessary to ensure her safety. And Ford's husband didn't even get his name until they went to therapy in 2012? If true, what a schmuck.

14. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    Just a general question, has there been a single nominee the GOP has put forward since the 80s that the Democrats have not guaranteed would overturn Roe?

15. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Three Yale Law School classmates who endorsed Kavanaugh call for investigation into sexual misconduct claims

16. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    A terrible transcription of him saying a “Jesuit high school.”

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Don't know if the latter part of your comment is fair...

Sorry, bud...

She might have felt uncomfortable in giving a name... Not sure if you've spoken to victims of sexual assault (I have). But that's not unusual... Again, that doesn't help their case... but that isn't atypical behavior...

For all we know, her husband tried to press her on it, and she consistently asked not to talk about it...

18. gatorpika

Sep 14, 2008
    Well, that works too. Jesuits are kinda judgemental. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    By "The Democrats" do you mean at least one?

20. rivergator

Apr 8, 2007
    AP's story on the four affidavits:
    www.syracuse.com/us-news/index.ssf/2018/09/kavanaugh_accuser_christine_blasey_ford_releases_sworn_declarations_from_4_peopl.html

• Agree Agree x 1