Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    If you have evidence that the FBI investigated the allegations by Dr. Ford, post it. Suggesting that the FBI did because it did a background investigation is a disingenuous talking point.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The whole reason you want an investigation is because an investigation gives you the only chance you have to take Kavanaugh out of consideration... regardless of whether he's guilty or innocent... all you need is an investigation to buy time... you don't need the truth...

How politically convenient...:rolleyes:

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    The author isn't "credible" because you don't like what he had to say. Let's just be honest about that.

4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That's not what I'm suggesting...

Dear Lord... :rolleyes:

I'm saying background checks do not equal investigations... You claimed that they do in your post... that's not true...

5. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    So what. That does not matter, on balance, when the issue is whether a sexual predator might be confirmed for the Supreme Court. That evidently does not matter for partisans, as this argument has been made repeatedly.

6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    If you believe that any set of allegations warrant an investigation, regardless of when they are brought up...and how credible they are...

Then there is nothing stopping this sort of obstruction from anyone being picked... It's a horrible precedent to set... that makes American politics quite a bit more ugly than it already is....

Feinstein should've brought this up two months ago... We're not going to enable her behavior by giving her exactly what she wanted...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I am not talking about background investigations. You brought up the 6 background checks. Not me. I have repeatedly discusssed the FBI investigating Dr. Ford’s allegations. The 6 FBI investigations were your response. Thank you for agreeing with the irrelevance of the prior background checks to this

8. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    That’s not what he meant (or said) at all.

He said the FBI doesn’t reach conclusions because it’s not their job to do so, not that their findings are “always inconclusive, period”

In this case it would be the Senators job to teach a conclusion with the results of the FBI investigation.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
  10. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You said, "The opinions on the right are all over the place. The FBI has investigated 6 times, but this is not a matter for the FBI because it is out of its jurisdiction, etc."

You're failing to draw a distinction (deliberately I might add due to convenience, in spite of intellectual dishonesty:rolleyes:), between a general background check on a prospective lifetime Federal employee... and an investigation on a specific criminal case... Those are not the same thing...

11. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    It’s really very simple, but facts and logic only lend to skepticism of the accuser, and we can’t have that..

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Nonsense. Kavanaugh has not been approved yet and Feinstein is not limited to the Republican time table. Big rush now, but it wasn’t when Merritt Garland’s nomination languished and his seat was kept open. There is no rush. This is about whether a sexual predator is appointed to the Supreme Court and this is being decided based on partisan political views and the Republicans don’t care. As evidenced by your’s , and others’, vigorous defense of this kangaroo process. Anybody who has ever handled an investigation of any kind knows this is not the way a search for truth is done. But, keep the talking posts coming.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. LouisvilleGator

LouisvilleGator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 16, 2012
    Yep and we just had a president who told us that “I thought the point was to inhale.” Doesn’t make either one of them rapists.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  14. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    "FBI, explicitly, does not in this or any other case, reach a conclusion, period...

When people wave an FBI Report, before you, understand, they do not, they do not, they do not, reach conclusions..."

Direct Quote... Speaks for itself...

15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    You are the one who brought up the FBI investigations. Not me. I responded to your post. I am not confused about anything. There has been no FBI investigation of Dr. Ford’s allegations. Agreed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Ok?

Are we going to adopt “Mormon judges only” as our new standard?

Or have we just moved on to “yeah, well, he drank in college!” as the supposed terrible act since we can’t find any contemporaneous corroboration for the others?

Next thing you know they’ll find a witness to confirm that Mr. Kavanaugh did, in fact, attend Yale, just like Ms. Ramirez claims. They’ll really have him nailed then!

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Well at least this time at least correctly quoted what Biden said.

But if you can’t see the distinction between an investigation itself being inconclusive, and an investigators responsibility not including the responsibility to reach a conclusion, then I’m not going to waste any more of my time trying to explain it because at that point you simply don’t want to understand it.

18. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Agree, but you also said that they've investigated 6 times, giving them jurisdiction and cause in a specific sexual assault case with the most unspecific details imaginable...

Don't act like there's no reason I came after you for that... I'm only attacking what you said... :D

19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Remarkable. You oppose an FBi investigation before a hearing and claim that an investigation would be antithetical to truth. “You don’t need the truth.” In a normal process, witnesses are interviews, facts are gathered, statements or depositions are taken before the hearing to make the truth finding function more focused and accurate. That is not what is happening here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    How dare I take Joe Biden to mean exactly what he said... :D

How dare I... :D