Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. BobK89

BobK89 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    1) No independent verification. He said, she said and the alleged third person in the room says it did not happen.
    2) Appears to be an isolated incident, over 30 years ago in high school. Let's hope that we are not going to start holding leaders accountable for stupid acts they committed back in HIGH SCHOOL, most likely under the age of 18.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    A stupid act is underage drinking. Attempted rape is attempted rape. You don't get to play the "it happened a long time ago" or "I was a stupid kid" cards.

And there might be independent verification. She says she told people years ago and there are notes proving it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Accuser willing to testify.

Trump high court pick Kavanaugh's accuser willing to testify, lawyer says

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A woman who has accused Brett Kavanaugh, President Donald Trump’s U.S. Supreme Court nominee, of sexual misconduct decades ago is willing to publicly testify before a Senate panel set to vote this week on his nomination, her lawyer said on Monday.

Christine Blasey Ford has accused Kavanaugh of trying to attack her and remove her clothing in the early 1980s when they were both high school students in a Maryland suburb outside Washington. Kavanaugh, the Republican president’s second nominee for a lifetime appointment to the nation’s highest court, has denied the allegations.

The accusation has threatened to complicate his nomination, which must be approved first by the Senate Judiciary Committee and then by the full chamber, which is narrowly controlled by Trump’s fellow Republicans. A committee vote is scheduled for Thursday, just weeks before Nov. 6 congressional elections.

Some Republicans on the committee have said Ford should have a chance to tell her story, a view also expressed on Monday by White House senior adviser Kellyanne Conway.

Trump high court pick Kavanaugh's accuser willing to testify, lawyer says | Reuters

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Because what we needed was more of a circus. Agree you have to vet the story. I blame Kavanough for being a hoodlem first. Second I blame the Pubs for blocking Obama’s pick from even going to a vote for creating the win at all cost environment we are in. They deserve this mess, but then that’s why things never smooth over... tit for tat.

I suggest live polygraph testing at Capital Hill. That would be right up the alley for this time period.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  5. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    Polygraphs are worthless. They are just used to try to coerce confessions. I would find her more believable without the polygraph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    An impossible situation all around. No one knows what happened or didn't happen in that room except those who were there. Maybe the woman is making it up or exaggerating just to harm Kavanaugh's chances at confirmation and he is getting blasted for something he didn't do.
    Or maybe she's telling the truth about a painful event in her past and she's getting blasted for having the courage to step forward.

An impossible situation ...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe, the standard for investigations into this type of stuff is the statute of limitations? It has turned into a he said she said and people will believe who they want to believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Her therapist’s notes from 2012 confirm this isn’t a last minute claim.

9. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    White House has declared the woman to be a liar:

10. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Apparently statutes of limitations don't apply to conservatives. Still waiting for someone to tell me of a liberal investigated for his teen behavior on a comparable scale.

11. danmann65

danmann65 All American

May 22, 2015
    So therapist notes from 24 years after the fact. My knowledge of how our memories work is that an uncorroborated 30 year old memory is next to worthless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Nope, you don’t reward Dems for playing this stupid timing game. If they have to pull Kavanaugh, give them Bill Pryor as a replacement nominee.

And I say that as someone who would have viewed a Pryor nomination as too inflammatory before this circus.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The notes do nothing but possibility verify something happened. Without her naming BK to the therapist, it is meaningless.
    It could have been anybody and she is choosing to use BK's name for political purposes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Now that the letter writer has been released as having attended Holton-Arms, let me go back to address this point. Kavanaugh did attend Georgetown Prep. That is an all-boys school in North Bethesda for the elite of the elite (tuition to high school, as a non-boarder, is about $38K per year today). Holton-Arms is an all-girls school in Bethesda for the elite of the elite (tuition to high school is about $42K per year today). If you were organizing a party with girls and boys at it, it is highly likely that you would draw from these two schools, as they are from the same areas/same crowd. Montgomery County has some of the best public schools in the country (usually ranked 1st or 2nd). These are going to be the folks that aren't just rich (the rich often send their kids to public school in that county) but are super-rich and don't want their kids hanging out with anybody but their other super-rich friends. If a Georgetown student holds a party, it is highly likely that a high percentage of any girls at the party come from Holton-Arms.

15. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Trump actually made a good faith nomination and put forth a guy who is the very definition of a mainstream conservative jurist.

Dems revealed they’re going to play dirty and fight to the death on literally anyone Trump nominates, so if you’re going to have the same fight on your hands no matter who it is, may as well use the opportunity to ram a guy to the right of Clarence Thomas up their asses.

Sure you miss out on the delicious liberal tears you could have gotten by nominating Pryor to RBG’s seat down the road, but I’m sure we can find a perfectly good replacement when that situation actually arises.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Actually we should give him as much credibility as you are giving her.
    No proof from either one. means equal credibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I've wrestled with this idea quite a bit (but at a much "lower" level) since this type of situation comes up with my students and the job market. Should something they did at 15 or 16--say use drugs or get into legal trouble--preclude them from employment? But this is at an entry level position, not a life-time appointment to the highest court in the land. I don't think there should be any hard SoL type rule determining what can or can't be considered since this isn't a legal proceeding and his liberty isn't on the line. It's a political one, yet there are many situations that I personally believe irrelevant.

18. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    This would assume that both deserve equal trust. But what if it's determined one is lying and the other is being truthful?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Honest question, what did the Democrats “do”?
    My understanding of the timeline is that this woman went to the Washington post in July but didn’t come forward. She then decided to go to her congresswoman, who forwarded it to Feinstein, who asked the FBI to investigate. Once the story became public, the woman came forward.
    Assuming all of that is true, what should the have done or not done differently? Not to say they didn’t push this forward happily, but what other choice did they have if that’s the scenario?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not claiming it’s a smoking gun, only that she said people that she told the therapist members of high Washington society were involved, and told her husband(admittedly an interested party) the name. Just saying it is pretty clear it isnt some random whacko. It is pretty clear something happened to her. Whether he truly was involved we may never know for certain, but she seems pretty credible all things considered.