Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh Hearing

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by ursidman, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Because the results of the investigation don't matter as it pertains to the outcome for Kavanaugh...

All that matters is the midterm Senate election results, and the time frame of the investigation...

That will decide Kavanaugh's fate... not an investigation...

2. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    If you know who your attacker is and what they did to you, does remembering the address at some house matter for there to be credibility?

I mean, I got into a car accident at 17 which was about 32 years ago. I remember the accident well, speeding around a curve, went off the other ("left") side of the road, cut a telephone pole in two. I can tell you the name of the road (South Plank) but I'm no longer sure exactly where on the road it was. I can tell you it sometime between late October and early December 1986. I can tell you it was my father's chevy, but I can't remember the model. I can tell you that I was uninjured and my parents just thankful for that. I remember going to a house nearby and the family letting me call home, it was someone I went to school with, but don't remember his name. Point being, I can remember some key details about the accident itself, but forget some other minor ones.

This is to be expected.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. BastogneGator

BastogneGator GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Because Kavanaugh represents a swing vote, also the mid-terms are approaching and it could influence elections?

4. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Off topic, how long have you been in Hawaii?

5. BastogneGator

BastogneGator GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    2 years

• Like Like x 1
  6. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    And? ... :D

You liking it?

• Like Like x 1
  7. BastogneGator

BastogneGator GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Oahu is awesome. Everyone told us that we would get island fever, hasn’t happened yet. My family are North Shore people. We love Haleiwa. We spend as much time in the water as possible. I keep explaining to my kids that this isn’t real life. We spearfish in the summer and surf in the winter. Not a fan of Waikiki or Honolulu.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Sounds as I'd expect. One of my college housemates moved to Hawaii day after graduation so he could surf more. I'm not sure he actually works, but I know he still surfs and fishes and lives the life. :)

9. BastogneGator

BastogneGator GC Legend

Oct 20, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    You do get detached from the rest of the world. It seems like the Mainland is burning down and I’m in the middle of the Pacific living Aloha. Speaking of the Pacific, definitely not the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf is like the retirement home, nice but very safe. The Pacific is beautiful but will freaking kill you. I’m not a good surfer, but I think I’ve set the record for most time in flight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. flgator2

flgator2 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville
    You're grasping here, ALL the witnesses disagreed with her, there's nothing to investigate. This was nothing less than a political hit job by the left

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy

Apr 3, 2007
    In Kavanaughs defense, he has a solid list of people vouching for his character, and so far, for the accusations from Ford and Ramirez, the witnesses "don't recall" or "have no knowledge" of the events.

But there is evidence that appears to warrant investigation..
    - Ford's accusation originating 6 years ago (not likely political)
    - Kavanaugh and buddies bragging on sexual conquest of Renate Dolphin, who vehemently denies so much as a kiss even occurred
    - Kavanaugh and buddies having a reputation for, and bragging of very hard drinking, and sexually demeaning treatment of women
    - Kavanaughs college roommate describing him as being a frequent, belligerent drunk... this aspect of his behavior on alcohol could explain the big differences between his character references and the accusations; nice guy sober and bad guy drunk
    - accusation by Ramirez, which although on its own seems dubious in timing and not well backed up, is viewed as believable by Kavanaugh's roommate
    - rumor of another accuser coming forward

Seems like a lot of smoke on this and no good reason not to investigate it. The court is fine with 8 justices. Rushing in a 9th, who may have a very troubling past does not seem wise, or respectful to the many victims of abuse in this country.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Chad Pergram covers Congress for Fox News:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    So, will Feinstein be censored by the Senate, as she should be? I feel like I'm watching a high school student council and not the Senate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Hopefully she’s not allowed to speak at all. I read in another thread that women always lie about sexual assault.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Unless they're adamantly opposed to having a conservative judge on the supreme court then obviously he's guilty. The Dems are under tremendous pressure to prevent any Trump nomination to go forward & they've been very unambiguous that they'll do whatever it takes to accomplish that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Are we to believe that with 6 FBI vettings none of this was even hinted at?

17. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Republicans are in the majority. They blocked a vote on a qualified judge. Only they can vote this judge into service. They are the ones struggling.

Three Dems voted for Gorsuch by the way. I felt that was too low.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely this allegation might not be true.

But there is at least one more thing to consider with the Duke lacrosse case: the accuser had a reason to lie. Recall that she had left her young children at home alone and was worried that she was going to lose them after the police responded to a fight between her and the other stripper. If Kavanaugh’s appointment would result in the loss of Ford’s child, that would be some serious motivation to lie.

If the point is that women sometimes lie about sexual assault, I don’t think anyone will argue, but there is a counterpoint: women sometimes tell the truth about sexual assault. It would seem the best of course of action is to investigate and collect evidence before making a determination. (Which of course might be difficult in this case)

Related to that point, I just want to make one more broader point about the Duke lacrosse case. It’s usally evoked to talk about Crystal Mangum, but to me, a mentally unstable drug addict lying in an ill conceived plot to keep her children isn’t even the truly sinister aspect of this story. It’s the clear eyed prosecution, led by that SOB Mike Nifong, who manufactured their case, right down to withholding exculpatory DNA evidence. This case was investigated, and it still turned up a tragic result. Good police work should have dismissed that case within a matter of days. What really made that story was corrupt police work.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I still hold the idea that is is all about trying to see "smoke" WAY off in the distance to get their side fired up to go to the voting booths in November. If you can't win it fair and square, get the fans fired up about the "missed call."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    High school students are more mature and honorable people than Democrats.
    Don’t hold your breath on that censure.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2