Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Kavanaugh had a bad steak dinner at Morton’s.

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by jjgator55, Jul 9, 2022.

1. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I haven't put the time into it to know for sure, but some accounts make it sound like they were just peacefully protesting outside in a public area. Other things I've read make it sound like they went in the restaurant and got in his face and made him leave. I think there's a huge gulf between those two scenarios.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    You don't see the difference between camping at an abortion clinic to protest an activity of which you disapprove and following specific people around in their personal spaces doing personal things like arriving home or eating dinner?

If this were like some animal rights group protesting outside the steakhouse without regard that a SCOTUS justice was there, I don't think you would've seen the same degree of outrage. People make the jump to harassment/intimidation because there's bounties to follow and harass a single person around in private spaces; the same guy who somebody came to his house within the last couple of weeks to kill him.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    That's the big problem with judging this incident, there's too much in the reports that leave plenty of room for the imagination.

The one thing that cannot be justified in any way, however, is the bounties, and apparently the restaurant was asked to kick Kavanaugh out. There may be a way of doing the latter legally, but even that is despicable and void of human decency.

The guy's eating dinner, mind your own business.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    Stalking and berating public officials in restaurants or at their home, is just another fine example of the continued decay of civil society. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    No, I don't see the difference between harassing people outside an abortion clinic or harassing a powerful government official outside a public restaurant. Free speech is free speech. The anti-abortion people have every right to nonviolently protest in public forums, as do the anti-Kavanaugh people.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree that makes a big difference and I think I see a way to harmonize the two potential accounts. The key language is here:

Eater reached out to the Landry’s-owned steakhouse chain for further comment on the series of events on July 6.

Accessed inside an office building lobby and up a set of escalators, D.C.’s long-running Morton’s sports a wood-framed dining room and lengthy patio overlooking Connecticut Avenue NW. It’s unclear where Kavanaugh sat — or what he could or couldn’t finish eating — at the time of the interruption. (Politico, citing a person familiar with the situation, said “[Kavanaugh] did not hear or see the protesters and ate a full meal but left before dessert.”)

Activists Crash Brett Kavanaugh’s D.C. Dinner at Morton’s This Week

I think the distinction between the outside sidewalk vs. inside the restaurant is confusing because most of us were envisioning the restaurant as a standalone building. But this particular restaurant requires that you go inside an office building which includes other offices before you get to the restaurant, even going up an escalator.

Likely the protesters had gone inside the building and were not on the sidewalk. But they were not inside the restaurant. If the unattributed statement is accurate, he was likely told there were protesters outside and then went out the back way and skipped dessert, but was otherwise unaware of their presence.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. BossaGator

BossaGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Yeah this is inside a big office building near Farragut square. It has a cavernous lobby of multiple stories’ height with escalators that lead up to where Morton’s is on the second (or maybe even third) floor. Very little of the restaurant space is exposed to the lobby - just the entrance, hostess stand, and coat check IIRC. Kavanaugh likely would have been seated pretty far back from the entrance to the restaurant.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  8. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Just have one question. How many of those who are upset over the harassment of Kavanaugh at Mortons's are upset when women seeking medical care are harassed by so called pro-life demonstrators?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    First off there’s no reason for the personal attack. I’m never good with violence. Okay? Now to your point you give yourself away by calling them mobs. They’re called protesters exercising their constitutional rights. If they’re on the sidewalk, not disrupting traffic, or blocking a business then they can protest wherever they want. If the cops try to break it up they have to have a legitimate reason, have a dispersal order, it has to be clear with a reasonable time to disperse.

Now if you want to talk about whether it’s a smart idea to protest outside the judges homes then we can have that discussion, but last I heard Kavanaugh wasn’t living in a steak house.

10. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Based on your posts, you should really consider moving to DC and that way you can join the wackos at ShutDown DC and stalk Kavanaugh and the other Justices you dislike until your heart is content.

What a great organization. I mean paying people to report sightings around DC of the Justices and then actually giving them more money if the Justice is still actually at the location when these positive members of society arrive is genius. And while most people would consider that stalking and harassment, you obviously do not so in your mind, no blood no foul, right?

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In terms of the bounty system, this is similar to the way paparazzi and other reporters work. Paparazzi make it known to servers/ attendants, etc., that they will receive something of value if they text when a celebrity is present that will be leaving at some point.

Reporters will always tell you they never pay for news, but court clerks know they will get something, even if it’s just something like donuts, if they contact a reporter and tip them off about a newsworthy filing. This is less common now that court filings, with certain exceptions, are available on the internet. But reporters would still need to scan and still rely on tips.

I don’t know this group, but “bounty” implies violence, and I think it’s just like above. They want to protest in public spaces, within their rights, but offer payoffs for tips on where to go.

12. jjgator55

jjgator55 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh cry me a river. Kavanaugh gets his dinner disrupted because he thinks states should be allowed to force a 10 year old rape victim to bear her rapists child. Of course it’s just fine that the 10 year old’s life, having already been traumatized, has to travel to another state for treatment.

What a great organization the Republican Party is paying vigilantes to track down women looking for medical treatment, and medical professionals with taxpayer dollars. Talk about stalking and harassment.

All you have are insults so welcome to my blocked list.

13. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That First Amendment can be a real inconvenience.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    So you’re going to block a con poster because he beat you in a debate?
    Brilliant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    No one in their right mind would condone this behavior, but so many have condoned the insurrection behavior, sooooo.....

I would have just shot him dirty looks. Liar.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Gatoragman

Gatoragman GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2008
    Trying not to be offensive here but you need to get off social media and get into the real world!!! Because a handful of nut jobs post disgusting videos and another handfull (even thousands) may like those videos it is still a minute portion of our population. What, aren't we up to about 350 million folks in the US? So even if 1 million folks liked and share these videos, it is still less than 1/3 of 1% of the population!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

18. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    Don’t take away the righteous indignation…

19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

20. gatorchamps960608

gatorchamps960608 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 4, 2020
    In the real world, 25-30% of the country keeps voting for the pols that promulgate this stuff.