Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

June, July, & August 2024 CPI & PPI not what Fed Reserve Needs for rate policy change

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ETGator1, Jul 11, 2024.

1. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    It’s “magic thinking” … if I say it, it will come true.

2. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The August 2024 CPI has been released:

CPI Home : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)

The Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U) increased 0.2 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis, the same increase as in July, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Over the last 12 months, the all items index increased 2.5 percent before seasonal adjustment.

The index for shelter rose 0.5 percent in August and was the main factor in the all items increase. The food index increased 0.1 percent in August, after rising 0.2 percent in July. The index for food away from home rose 0.3 percent over the month, while the index for food at home was unchanged. The energy index fell 0.8 percent over the month, after being unchanged the preceding month.

The index for all items less food and energy rose 0.3 percent in August, after rising 0.2 percent the preceding month. Indexes which increased in August include shelter, airline fares, motor vehicle insurance, education, and apparel. The indexes for used cars and trucks, household furnishings and operations, medical care, communication, and recreation were among those that decreased over the month.

The all-items index rose 2.5 percent for the 12 months ending August, the smallest 12-month increase since
    February 2021. The all items less food and energy index rose 3.2 percent over the last 12 months. The energy index decreased 4.0 percent for the 12 months ending August. The food index increased 2.1 percent over the last year.

No, the numbers are still not what is needed to reduce the rate in September.

CPI is 2.5% down from 2.9% in July, but +.2% month over month.

Core CPI is 3.2% which is unchanged from 3.2% in July, but +.3% month over month. As a reminder and like the CPE, the Feds preferred measure is the Core CPI.

To me, the numbers are still not there to support a September rate cut. The Core PCE is still too high, the unemployment rate went down from 4.3% to 4.2%, and now we see the Core CPI holding at 3.2% for 2 consecutive months.

I'm sticking with my prediction that there will not be a September rate cut. If I'm wrong, it will be a .25% cut because Powell painted the Fed prematurely into a rate cutting corner when on vacation in Jackson Hole.

The DJIA 1 hour after opening is down 657.04, -1.61%. Apparently, investors agree with what I'm seeing and believe a rate cut is in doubt.

Tomorrow, we get the Producer Price Index followed by the Fed meetings next week. The table will be set to see if the Fed will behave rationally or give in to demands to cut rates prematurely and risk higher inflation on top of what we have now.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009

D
    own to 2.5%, and 0.2% month over month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2024/09/11/cpi-inflation-fed-rates/

Inflation eased again in August, cementing expectations that the Federal Reserve is setto cut interest rates next week for the first time since the pandemic’s early days.

Data released Wednesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed prices climbed 2.5 percent in the 12 months ending in August. That was a noticeable improvement over the 2.9 percent notched in July, in part because of falling gas prices. Prices also climbed 0.2 percent over the previous month.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Rate cut in 3.....2.....1......

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Inflation rate is dropping. Unemployment is slowly ticking up. Neither trend shows signs of changing in the near future. The time for a rate cut is now. The FED is often very cautious, and for those reasons, it might only be .25. But all signs are pointing to a cut.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It must make you swell up with pride to see how strong and vibrant our American economy is, especially in light of the struggles of some of our strongest allies in the EU. It's nice to have adults in the room. Thank you President Biden and Vice President Harris from a grateful nation.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Thanking the wrong people. It's thank you Fed Reserve for the soft landing. Now, don't screw it up when the US economy is in a sweet spot for the first time in over 3 1/2 years.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Someone has a thread on this already but it’s nice for you to remind us this old one is out here where you have all your bad predictions.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    wrong, my post here was before the other thread, but you go there. It's 2 months right and still saying a cut is not needed now and a cut now could push inflation back up.

10. gator_jo

gator_jo All American

Aug 9, 2024
    You really should structure your next contract to get paid per post for anything inflation related. Hourly can still work for everything else, but you're giving up $$ on this topic.

11. sierragator

sierragator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    but the orange fool said this is he worst economy ever

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. BigCypressGator1981

BigCypressGator1981 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 11, 2011
    I see you've pivoted from "a rate cut will not happen" to "a rate cut is not needed."

Bless your heart.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I can’t believe ET is still sticking with “no rate cuts in September” when Powell has all but guaranteed they will happen. Only question is how much.

15. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Core PCE and Core CPI are too high, and the unemployment rate came down. There is no reason to cut. If a cut is made in September, it’s purely political and it will be viewed that way.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2024
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Both is right.

17. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Unemployment rate went down but so did Labor Participation Rate. In real terms, employment was flat. As for CPI, it's been falling MoM for several months, and is now at its lowest rate since 2021. It is expected to continue to fall, especially if we do nothing.

Bottom line, now is a time for a small rate cut. Don't do it, and the FED will be accused of waiting too long to act again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    45% of core CPI is housing. If the fed is relying on that given current circumstances they are dumber than I thought.

19. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Go back and look again. The labor participation rate was unchanged.

The unemployment rate went down from 4.3% to 4.2%, both considered to be full employment.

The Core CPI, the preferred measure over CPI All, is 3.2% for both July and August. This data does not show a trend exists for making progress towards going below the Fed's 2.0% target. Having trend lines on inflation going lower was an element that the Fed wanted to see before changing their wait and see rate policy. This has not yet happened.

In July, the government said the hurricane in Texas did not impact the unemployment rate. I had read several sources on top of Texas that differed. Sure enough, temporarily laid offs came down by 900,000 in August. Many of those people were not working because of the hurricane damage. I still can't believe the government took the position the hurricane in Texas had no impact on employment.

I may well be wrong about a September rate cut, but changing rate policy to go on multiple cuts is just as bad as having waited too long to start fighting inflation deemed transitory at the time.

The US is not in a recession or headed into a recession despite the doom and gloom on Wall Street. My hope is the Fed continues to wait and see if inflation trends turn down towards 2.0% and less before changing their rate policy.

If unemployment had ticked up to 4.5% instead of down to 4.2%, I'd be calling for a rate cut in September too.

Another issue that is unrelated to inflation and employment is that the federal government cannot continue to pay the interest on the federal debt at these interest rate levels. I'm much more sympathetic to not wanting to see a higher public debt and government default on the federal debt be the reason for lowering rates. Ideally, I'd like to see a reduction in fiscal spending, but I don't think it will happen as the fiscal spending will continue to be inversely related with interest rates. They are right now squabbling in congress about kicking the can down the road for another 6 months along with Biden saying he'll veto any bill sent to him if the democrats don't get the spending they want.

20. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Please explain how you came up with housing being 45% of Core CPI.