Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

July 4th was the hottest day ever

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Jul 5, 2023.

1. danmanne65

danmanne65 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    You know it’s possible to be wrong and not a liar?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm not a fan of citing data like "hottest day" or "coldest day" ever because there are fluctuations in the Climate and there are outliers.

I believe Climate Change is a thing, but I'm not a fan of the politicization of individual catastrophic events and acting as though any one of them are specifically due to Climate Change. That's not how it works. While I believe Climate Change is a thing, I think its impact is overstated as a threat to humanity. I also think human influence, especially when narrowing our gauge of that influence to the US, is incredibly limited.

Our best bet generally speaking is free market solutions so we don't destroy our economy while we're focusing on 1st world problems (nobody in the developing world actually cares about this, nor do countries like China and Russia), and adapting as the climate changes.

More energy options are always a good thing, but more energy options doesn't mean just shutting out fossil fuels.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  3. l_boy

l_boy 5500

Jan 6, 2009
    That’s true.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/07/05/hottest-day-ever-recorded/

However this year is in pace to be the hottest on record going back 125,000 years or so using ice samples and the last 8 years have been the hottest on record, and yesterday was the hottest day among the hottest 8 or more years on record. The chances are it was either the hottest day or one of the hottest in the last 125,000 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. littlebluelw

littlebluelw GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

From the link
    Like nothing we’ve ever seen
    Earth’s hottest periods—the Hadean, the late Neoproterozoic, the Cretaceous Hot Greenhouse, the PETM—occurred before humans existed. Those ancient climates would have been like nothing our species has ever seen.

Modern human civilization, with its permanent agriculture and settlements, has developed over just the past 10,000 years or so. The period has generally been one of low temperatures and relative global (if not regional) climate stability. Compared to most of Earth’s history, today is unusually cold; we now live in what geologists call an interglacial—a period between glaciations of an ice age. But as greenhouse-gas emissions warm Earth’s climate, it's possible our planet has seen its last glaciation for a long time.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Talk about cherry picking the data...they should have taken the readings at night ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Also, South America seems relatively cool for the middle of summer ;>

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    LOL, I'm just now reading this tirade. I really gave you a boner for Algore didn't I?

8. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 GC Legend

Jan 5, 2010
    It's only the hottest day so far :insert Homer Simpson meme:

What about our winter time when the earth is closer to the sun? How was the weather for the southern hemisphere? Honestly ever too?

9. phatGator

phatGator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2007
    Dayton, Ohio
    It cracks me up when we have unusually hot weather some people will claim that proves global warming, and when we have unusually cold weather others will claim that this disproves global warming.

The important thing is what are people willing to do to alleviate the situation. How many of us are willing to turn off air conditioners and stop motor transportation? To drastically change CO2 levels in the atmosphere would require a rapid deindustrialization that would collapse the economy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist

Apr 3, 2007

A turkey is captured from the forest. He’s very afraid and thinks he’s going to die. To his surprise, his captors don’t kill him but feed him the next day. On day 3, the same thing happens. By day 20, he’s not sure what’s going to happen. By day 180, he’s starting to feel happy in his new environment. On day 364, he’s extremely confident that on the following day the sun will rise and he will be fed. At this point, he has amassed more evidence than ever to support the claim that tomorrow, the fourth Thursday in November, will be a great day for Mr. Turkey.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
  11. mrhansduck

mrhansduck GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2021
    I note on one hand that those who trust RFK Jr.'s sincerity, knack for digesting technical information, and find merit in the accusations he makes about financial corruption in the context of vaccines and big pharma don't seem to be giving second thought to his opinions about the environment and climate change and the relationship with the profits of oil and gas companies.

On the other hand, I wonder if someone like Bill Maher, who always cited the environment as one of his biggest issues, believes the climate threat is so dire and immediate. I see him spending countless monologues and interviews complaining about wokeness because of what some random person no one has heard of said somewhere. Yet he seems to say relatively less about climate change and the environment. Maybe because they're just not as entertaining subjects. Of course, when someone like him doesn't appear to be in panic mode, it means he knows it's BS or is just a hypocrite. But the people who are really sounding the alarms and shouting from the rooftops are mocked and called hysterical weirdos.

I tend to trust the expert consensus, particularly on issues I know little about. The Earth itself is going to survive, but we have to be concerned about the impact on people (and other species). I think we're going to see increased negative impacts on humans even if the worst predictions don't pan out or take longer than some predict. I feel like the costs of taking action is always considered (as it must be), but how do we quanitfy the cost of not being proactive - if failure to do so will actually result in more regionalized floods and droughts, crop failures, tropical storms, and mass migrations of refugees from some places to others? How much will that cost us?

• Like Like x 3
  12. citygator

citygator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Numerous corporate media outlets drove the narrative that July 3-5 was the hottest 72-hour stretch ever on record, citing a computer model from the University of Maine which the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has warned is not as dependable as traditional observational data.

The coverage came as NOAA said Thursday that the model’s findings are not a suitable substitute for observational data, since the model depends in part on unverifiable, computer-generated outputs, according to The Associated Press.

• Informative Informative x 4
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Between the Orcas, shark attacks and now a 36 yo plant shooting a stalk up 25 feet almost overnight, I think we are in a M. Night Shyamalan movie about nature striking back at our abuse

Suddenly, after 36 years, plant grew 25-foot stalk
    Suddenly, after 36 years, plant grew 25-foot stalk - Tampa Bay Times

For more great content like this subscribe to the Tampa Bay Times app here:

• Like Like x 1
  15. okeechobee

okeechobee GC Hall of Fame

Sep 11, 2022
    It’s become something that would make Joseph Goebbels blush.

16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So you consider NOAA to be an accurate source of information on climate change then, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. 1990Gator

1990Gator VIP Member

Dec 30, 2013

So you consider NOAA to be an accurate source of information

after spending a couple of years engaging on this forum, I have learned that this is the answer to the question

Yes, when it fits my narrative.

(Now I truly sound the the resident comrades)

18. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Haha, don't go pawning this off on others. You made the choice to act like that. Nobody made you do it. You chose to do so. Take some responsibility rather than trying to pawn it off on others.

• Creative Creative x 1
  19. duggers_dad

duggers_dad GC Hall of Fame

Jan 5, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

This recent global record comes on the heels of what was globally the warmest June since at least 1940.

The hottest day in the history of the world since 1979 isn’t good

• Funny Funny x 1